A LITTLE ANXIETY

Options
Hello everyone, I just recently found out that i might have a herina.They want to put a scope down my throat to see what is going on.I just was wander as any one else had this done?How it works? It would help me a great deal it is very upsetting to know i might have a herina or any thing else.thank you for listen.

Replies

• rachel41
    rachel41 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I just recently found out that i might have a herina.They want to put a scope down my throat to see what is going on.I just was wander as any one else had this done?How it works? It would help me a great deal it is very upsetting to know i might have a herina or any thing else.thank you for listen.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I have a hiatal hernia - the type of hernia they're going to be examining you for. It's where your diaphram has a rip in it. Your diaphram serves as a divider between your chest and your stomach. When you breath in, your diaphram goes down. When you breath out, it goes up. Your food goes through a tube down your throat, through a small place in your diaphram and into your stomach. When your diaphram has a rip in it, your stomach can work its way up through the hole.

Don't worry, your stomach will not completely filter itself into your chest cavity, unless the hole is HUGE, which I doubt will be the find. But, man, does it suck!! :grumble: You get wonderful things like chest pain, back pain, acid reflux AND you feel like something is stuck in your throat sometimes and no matter how many times you swallow, IT WILL NOT GO AWAY!

I had the camera thing down my throat a few years back. They tell you that you're not going to be completely under anesthesia, but, don't worry . . . you won't remember a thing!! You're knocked out. Trust me. The only difference is that it's easier to wake back up after it's over.

Your throat may be a little dry or sore afterwards. I didn't really have any after-effects, though. Couldn't even tell they'd done anything. Just be sure to drink water and don't eat any really abrasive foods afterwards and you'll be fine. :drinker:

If you do in fact have a hernia, I am going to recommend a medicine for you to ask your doctor about. I have tried everything from Prevacid to Rolaids to having a teaspoon of vinegar after meals. But, the one pill I still take (on a regular basis) is called Aciphex. It's definitely worth a mention. And, it's really, really tiny, so I have no problem swallowing it. :smile:

I have been having problems since I was 15. I went for years without knowing what it was. I know it sounds kinda daunting, but, with a healthy lifestyle, diet and proper prescription, life is good. :laugh:

Goodluck to you!! :flowerforyou:
  • ebonyeyes26
    Options
    Hope everything works out for you. Don't stress....stress only makes it worst! Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • ebonyeyes26
    Options
    worse*
  • pdxmomof2
    Options
    I have pretty bad acid reflux. Have suffered from it since my pregnancy with my now 5 year old. I have taken meds for it but it got really bad in the last year. About 4 months ago I was recommended for a surgery that could fix this. In order to have it I had to undergo a few tests. The first was the endoscope. I, like you, had tons of anxiety about it but it turned out not to be so bad. As the previous posts says, you dont remember it but a little bit. I remember them telling me to breath and swallow, that is it. I did sleep for almost 24 hours straight but I am highly sensitive to meds. Dont worry, you will be fine.

I never took the other 2 tests as there was minimal scaring in my throat and the other tests where not going to be fun at all. They required tubes being inserted into my nose, down my throat and sending me home to eat, drink and sleep as normal. No thanks. I decided to tackle the weight and see if that helped. It is slowly helping me.

Good luck! I hope that it all goes well for you!

Amy
  • rachel41
    rachel41 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Thank You everyone I feel a little better about it.