Runner's trots... embarrassing but hopefully helpful to some

Options
Well, this explains a lot....here I was thinking I was going to need another emergency intestinal surgery considering the way I was during and after my 20 miler today! Anyone else have this embarrassing problem? Mine hit the "severe" level today after my run :(

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=12326

Replies

• patty6473
    patty6473 Posts: 24
    Options
    I actually discussed this situation with my doctor. Doctor said that it usually happens to people who have trouble digesting lactose (which I do). Be weary of what you eat for 8 hours before a run. I stopped the morning cereal and switched to a lactose free oatmeal before a run.
  • lisapickering
    Options
    I haven't experienced this personally but I have friends who take immodium before a half or full marathon. Obviously if you can figure it out through diet that is the better way!
  • TboneNast
    Options
    Take a double dose of Konsyl Fiber the night before and again about 4 hours before the race. That will "thicken and bind" anything floating in your tract. Great stuff. One-wipers. Most people do not get enough natural "roughage" in their diets. It's like trying to make concrete with no sand/rocks. Just comes out weak and watery.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I sometimes take 1/2 an imodium before my long runs. I always take an imodium in the morning before my races.

Knock on wood (or restroom doors) I've never had to stop to drop a deuce during any of my races.

ETA: You want to get this all sorted out before race day.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    great tips everyone, keep 'em coming! Without knowing it, I did everything wrong this morning, took airborne (major vitamin C), had a cup of milk, and 3 Advil with my morning oatmeal and banana...and THEN I packed Gatorade in my Camelbak instead of water...

I'm running Grandma's (first marathon ever) in June, so I hope to figure this out asap!
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    Oh no, you poor thing! At least you had it after the run and not during. I'm counting my lucky stars that it's never happened to me. I've felt a little cramping, but that's it.

The milk might have been the issue, but I'm thinking you would have felt that maybe around 10 miles. The Gatorade was most likely your biggest problem. I'm telling ya...go for the salt tablets and water. You will thank me :)

I do have to tell you that you should never ever take a NSAID (Advil) before a run.
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/medicationanddrugs/a/NSAID_endurance.htm
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    Where do you get those magic salt tabs? And you're right, I did actually start feeling "somthing" at mile 10, but the cramping (way worse than any TOM!) started during the cooldown.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    My sister is a marathon runner and has the same problem. She doesn't drink milk (hates it), so that wouldn't be her problem. She's started taking Imodium before a race and says it's helped her a lot.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    http://www.succeedscaps.com/main_scaps.html

Here's the link to SCaps. You can get salt tablets at any running store and REI. SCaps were the best ratio according to my dh who was part of a crew at Badwater last year. They know about electrolyte replacements!!

We actually make our own now which is way cheaper.