Has anyone else tried shirataki tofu noodles?

BrookeEspinosa
BrookeEspinosa Posts: 92
edited September 26 in Recipes
I just tried them tonight, and the fishy smell really threw me off. They would probably be better with a better sauce. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make them edible? I just hate to not try to work with them, because the calorie count compared to pasta is incredible. Please help!

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    I find that they work best in asian dishes, rather than italian. Try a stir fry? I like to cook them for about 6 min in beef broth, then stir fry them in with the meat and veggies and soy sauce/olive oil. They take some getting used to but the calorie count is hard to beat.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    While I haven't tried them, I heard about having to really rinse them well so they lose that smell. There was a post about it here, try searching for miracle noodles I think. Someone had a good solution to the rinse.
  • cookiejones
    cookiejones Posts: 104
    I agree. I use them in asian dishes. Give them a good rinse before you use them and they work great in a Tom Yum soup or just plain Asian-based soup.

If you don't like the miracle noodles, try konyaku. They're a bit more calories. 25 calories or so per cup, but they don't have the fishy smell. They are 2g carbs, if I recall, 0 g fat, and 4g of both protein and fibre per serving.
  • http://www.hungry-girl.com/search?keyword=shirataki+tofu+noodles

Hungry Girl Loves them, I have not tried them yet but if I did I would look here first.
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    bump
  • ettuccine Hungry Girlfredo 2.0

PER SERVING (entire recipe): 99 calories, 4g fat, 376mg sodium, 9.5g carbs, 4g fiber, 1g sugars, 5.5g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 2*

Honesty time! While the original recipe calls for half a cheese wedge, we pretty much NEVER do that anymore. Plus we've included some top-notch Tofu Shirataki tips here...

Ingredients:
    1 package House Foods Tofu Shirataki Fettuccine Shaped Noodle Substitute
    1 tsp. fat-free sour cream
    2 tsp. reduced-fat Parmesan-style grated topping
    1 wedge The Laughing Cow Light Original Swiss cheese
    Salt and black pepper, to taste

Directions:
    Use a strainer to rinse and drain shirataki noodles well. Pat dry. In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave for 1 minute. Drain excess liquid. Dry as thoroughly as possible, using paper towels. Cut noodles up a bit, using kitchen shears if you've got 'em.

Add sour cream, grated topping, and cheese wedge, breaking cheese wedge into pieces as you add it. Microwave for 1 minute.

Stir well and then season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy!

MAKES 1 SERVING

HG Heads Up! Check out this awesome HG video for the 411 on where to find Tofu Shirataki noodles!!!
  • alittle99
    alittle99 Posts: 37 Member
    YES I love these but you have to rinse them really really well and dry them really really well as well. I usually use about 10 paper towels to soak up ALL of the water (I know- kind of wasteful, but it's the only way to make them taste good).

I also find that they are best with cheese sauces. I usually add a wedge of Laughing Cow Light cheese and microwave for about a minute, stir, and then maybe another 30 seconds or so. Then, add a little salt and parmesan cheese if you have it. I got all of this info from Hungry Girl who has a lot of recipes for them. Once you get the hang of how to prepare them, they're great! I also usually add stir fry veggies to them.

Good luck!
  • misschristi
    misschristi Posts: 119 Member
    does anyone know where to buy them!???!? i cant find them anywhere...
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    They would probably be better with a better sauce.

YES, the sauce matters a lot. You want something that will stick and you cook the sauce into the noodles. It is also really important to wash the noodles really well, then boil them for 3-5 mins, and pat them as dry as you can BEFORE you use them with the sauce. I made them with teriyaki chicken the first time. I'm thinking I might add broccoli next time, or use BBQ sauce and boca patties. I think they would be great with a spicy sauce to cover up the fishiness... plus I like spicy.

I love the texture, but then I like gummy chewing things (jelly fish, tendons, cartilage).
  • does anyone know where to buy them!???!? i cant find them anywhere...
  • I got them at whole foods. They are really cheap too.
  • I made the hungry girl rockin chick and broc. There just wasn't enough sauce.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    does anyone know where to buy them!???!? i cant find them anywhere...

just picked some up in the Winn Dixie, to try , and if they have them anyone should. family is having spagetti and meatballs ,I was just going to have meatballs but now i get to have spagettie too. just hope they are good
This discussion has been closed.