sweets question

Options
Has anyone ever eliminated junk all together? Ice cream, cookies, chips etc?

I have a habit of eating these in moderation but I must admit ice cream is my weakness. I try not to buy it when I grocery shop but because I have others in the household who can eat this stuff with no issues of gaining weight and put it on the list I have no choice. I do however have a choice of eating it myself and sometimes I do and im thinking maybe this is why ive hit a plateau.

A trainer at my gym whos been helping me exercise feels I should cut out sweets for awhile to see if it helps and not even treat myself to my moderation ice cream for dessert. My doctor also feels this is a good idea and if the doctor feels its ok, I guess its worth a shot. My doctor feels it will help with my energy and mood as well because sugar seems to make some people sleepy and moody.

My doctor gave me a brochure with alternatives to have instead of junk when I crave sweets for example sugar free 80 calorie chocolate pudding or all natural frozen fruit bars and to try to cut out breads as well because not only are they loaded in carbs but there loaded in sugars.

Ive had a physical done & blood work and everything came back fine, so I know im healthy besides being 50lbs overweight.

Replies

• portwood2218
    portwood2218 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think if you have the will to do it, than that's great. It's not going to hurt you at all. But, personally, everytime I've tried to cut out sweets all together it actually just makes me want it that much more. When I finally do give in, I end up over-eating more than I would if I had just stuck to moderation. I'm learning to stick with moderation.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Yup I pretty much cut out all sweets. Makes me feel better. I try to eat as natural and whole as I can. After a while I just stopped craving the bad stuff
  • hellenyork
    Options
    We haven't cut anything out in my house but we have greatly reduced our intake of bread, biscuits and things like that and also sweets. Just not buying them and having them around has helped so much!
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    i cut out all sweets but not savories...i just cant do it ;{

if for some reason i have a crazy attack i have a non dairy popsicle which is like 45 calories but one box lasts me almost two months xD

try cutting it out for a while or gradually replacing your sweets with healthier alternatives instead of phasing them out right away. wouldn't want you to get depressed or discouraged so quickly in the beginning!
  • funauntsherry
    funauntsherry Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i haven't - but if you do, perhaps when a sweet-craving hits, you can choose a juicy mango or other delicious fruit? I'm trying to move in this direction, but I have a love affair with baked goods... ;) good luck!!
  • ubabe1
    ubabe1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Cutting processed sugars will help with weight loss and overall health. Continue to eat fresh fruits for natural sugar. Try frozen yogurts instead of real ice cream! Make sure you always read the labels!!
  • susancelli928
    Options
    I have cut out all refined sugar from my diet its made me fell blah.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i cut out all refined sweetners and artificial sweeteners... if i use any sweetener now it's honey, and that sure is not often.. and... i was surprised to find after a short while i noticed i was no longer even craving sweets at all.. and i sure used to crave them ravenously! *L*
  • taraleola05
    taraleola05 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My allergist told me no more diary or peanuts in my diet due to high levels of the antigens in my blood stream. God did I feel like one crabby chick for a while, but now that I'm 1 month into it, I feel like I have so much more energy as well as choosing better foods, which are more natural. It really sucks, because chocolate and ice cream were also my vices, and I still miss them, but I do enjoy a nice glass of wine after a good week instead of ice cream now (I mean, red wine DOES have some health benefits to it too!!!). I suggest also taking some sort of probiotic, as you may also have an over abundance of yeast in your system, as diary, fresh fruits, grains/breads, and alcohol can do that to your system. I take that once a day and then take oxygen drops in my water 2-3 times a day, and I've felt so much better! Listen to your body. Sometimes your body craves the wrong things because something else is going wrong in your body, that's what happened to me!! (I crave carbs and salty things as well as some sweets, which is common for people with lots of candida yeast in their body as well as feeling fatigued). Good luck, and drink lots of water!! :)

Tara Leola*~
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I used to have a very big sweet tooth. I cut all refined sugars and once my body got the crap flushed out of my system I felt great. Now I tend to crave tangerines as my sweet item. I also keep a large bowl of fruits in the kitchen so they are right there if I want something sweet. The refined sugars will most certainly slow or stop your weight loss. The body releases insulin to handle the sugar which can create fat stores you are trying to lose.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I havent cut out anything,lol I dont want to eat a compleatly clean diet.While I love fruit an veggies I love processed "poisn" also.I have found a balance that works well for me and I feel great.
    Edit to add Im actually not much of a sweet eater to begin with so that helps in moderation
  • thedons
    thedons Posts: 41
    Options
    i cut them out all together for quite a while. i have, no, let me rephrase that, i had a terrible sweet tooth. i found it easier to just not have any at all as opposed to having a taste & then running the risk of having more. the temptation was too hard to resist once i had a little bit. it took alot of willpower but i was determined to fight the urge & cravings. i can proudly say that i now do have control & every once in a while i treat myself. and thats how i look at it now. a treat. not a whole slice of cake, just a taste. not a large ice cream but a small, not the whole chocolate bar or even half for that matter. just a taste. it amazed me that i could actually overcome it but it can happen.
  • Gradymartine
    Options
    I am not eating sweets but have a 72% chocolate bar next to my bed and when the day is done and I have been good with my eating I have a small piece as a treat. Also one of my snacks that I have during the day but just a few pieces is chocolate covered raisins. Something small and sweet that you like and can have when you have the craving is great!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I dont think I could ever cut out ice cream :noway: The way I see it is I'm eating everything in moderation, which is basic training to how I should eat forever. I think you can have a balanced diet with junk too - 80/20 rule :bigsmile: I do however, buy the lower cal versions like weight watchers or skinny cow as a compromise on calories. I work on the basis that I'll lose weight if I eat less calories than I burn.

Good luck in what you decide :flowerforyou:
  • carrie_lebel
    Options
    1/2 your regular sweet amount. I don't think I could totally cut everything I love. Maybe yogurt.
  • ndswimchick22
    ndswimchick22 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out sweets completely, I'm just choosing more "natural" sweets.

Oh! And since you have a craving for frozen things, you should try making your own ice pops out of crystal lite packets! I saw a recipe for it online. Just add water and some crystal lite and only 5 calories a pop!

I think it's a good sweet treat especially since summer is coming!