Walk..Run..Walk..RUN..RUN...RUN...RUN....RUN..RUN...WOW!

Options
First and foremost, I'm severe asthmatic and have never ran an entire mile straight without stopping, in my life. I have been VERY active since January, doing zumba 4-6 times a week religiously. It's a great, fun work out and I burn anywhere from 600-700 calories in one hours based on how much I put into it.. unfortunatley, I missed Zumba this morning and decided to hit the gym. I despise the cardio room because I feel I can burn almost twice as many calories in one hour doing zumba. I typically spend 45-60 mintues on the ellipitical and always by pass the treadmill. Today was different, I decided I was going to see how many calories I could burn doing interval training on the tread mill. I began my 5 minutes warm-up and I typically struggle, every minute I run seems FOREVER, and ever minute walked goes by way too fast. I began my first minute running, and felt great so decided to continue and shoot for two minutes, before I knew it I was at five, HOLY COW... I proceeded, got to seven and I began to get tired, breathing was still going great.. I had to push myself to ten. I RAN 10 STRAIGHT MINUTES, I took a 30 second water break, and ran an additional 5 minutes then did my usual run minute, walk minute, however, I uped the speed on the treadmill when I did intervals.. I amazed myself. January was my last attempt doing intervals and it sucked. Today motivated me to sign up for my first 5K.. I have exactly one month to train and my mini goal is to run one straight mile without stopping.. wish me luck my friends :-) BTW I burned 608 calories on the treadmill today compliments of the bodybugg.

Replies

• mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    Options
    Excellent!!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Yeah!!!! Good for you.
  • lbritt5
    lbritt5 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Great Job. Keep at it.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's so great!! :D I want to be able to do that.
  • beechick
    beechick Posts: 50
    Options
    That is so awesome!!!! I had started to do running but was sidelined by my seasonal asthma. I have to start back tomorrow and now I am really inspired by your accomplishment. Keep it up and you should be so proud of yourself!!!!
    Debbee
  • Hype
    Hype Posts: 349
    Options
    Thats fab well done!
  • Shannoncore
    Shannoncore Posts: 135
    Options
    congrats. it feels great to hit your stride once in a while.
  • mychirona
    mychirona Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • fluffy831
    fluffy831 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • cfer843625
    Options
    That is AWESOME!! When I first started trying to lose weight I wanted to start running... I cant go very long at all, legs cramped and everything...then I noticed I was having some really bad pains in my lower legs close to my ankle.... I was afraid I was getting stress fractures so I stopped, the pain gradually went away... I do walk a couple miles 4 days a week at work but have not attempted to try to run again... I would really like to try to c25K workout soon tho!! you are doing awesome!! keep up the good work!!!
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Awesome! And from what the docs have always told me cardio exercise is one of the best things an asthmatic can do... Keep it up!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    That is definitely a wow moment. Keep it up!
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GO!!!

I also am an asthmatic (mild, primarily exercise induced). I take two hits from my inhaler before every exercise. I started running back in college at 1/2 mile (and it felt like it was going to kill me). I built up and did my first 10K while I was in college (and remember thinking it hurt so much I would never do it again). After 2 years I started back and now I usually run at least one a year. Eventually I sarted thinking maybe I could go farther. I built up to 10 miles and did my first 1/2 marathon. After a couple 1/2 marathons, I started thinking, I getting pretty old, if I am ever going to run a marathon, I better start now. After about a 1/2 year of training I ran my one and only marathon (in 2008). It was rough and requires way too much dedication and taining, but now I can say I did it.

I'm not suggesting you run a marathon or anything. Just know that I started where you are. Just set a goal, even if it scares you a little. Train and keep going. You never know where it will take you and the inner happiness you get when you finally accomplish one is worth it.

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Check out the Couch to 5K program. In 12 weeks time, I've gone to huffing and puffing and feeling like I'm dying running 60 seconds to being able to run 3 miles. Congrats on your new found limits!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    WoW! I'm asthmatic too and can't run for toffee!!! lol I can do all sorts of aerobics, cardio, P90X, but not straight running. It's kinda weird, but there you go. I'm so pleased to hear that you can do it. Makes me feel its possible for asthmatic to do anything!! :bigsmile:

all the best for the 5k :flowerforyou:
  • zumba_gal
    zumba_gal Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i have chronic asthma ... i was put in I C U about 13 years ago... so i have been surprising myself also!!! keep up the goo job!!! add me if u like so we can motivate each other..
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Congrats my dear! That is fantastic! I am happy for you :)

and good luck on your 1st 5k!
  • mary127
    mary127 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! Proud of you! Hope to be able to do that someday also. Good luck with the 5k!!!