MY FIRST TORNADO

Options
Yeah so i was watching the funnel clouds forming near our house and then the lightening hit the tree across the street. it then got dead silent and BAM it went crazy and blew open a window in my sons room where he was sleeping so he woke up screaming! I freaked out , slammed the window closed, and took my son and the 5 dogs into the bathroom and hid. A tornado touched down only a few blocks away. My crazy hubby pretty much drove through it to get home to us (i love him but he's a dummy sometimes)! Im still shaking. And we are still on tornado watch till 9 pm ahhhhhhhhhhhh

thank god we are are ok and so far there are no reports of any big damage or injuries (we live in the boonies) but VA and NC are in a crazy fight with mother nature! keep everyone in your thoughts and prayers!

Replies

• SandyLee1961
    SandyLee1961 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear you are ok. Prayers to you and all those effected by this storm!!! Here in NZ we know what mother nature is capable of!
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I grew up in tornado alley so had a lot of experiences with tornados. They are very scary but just as you said, at least you and your family are safe!
  • Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I just seen this on the news. Take care and be safe.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Yeah, those storms rolled through Charlotte NC around 12:30 this afternoon. We were under tornado watch but I didn't see any or hear of any reported near me. Just rained like H**l for about 30 minutes but moved out as fast as it moved in. Glad you and family are ok. Lightening amazes me and scares the heck out me at the same time.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    So scary! Ive been living in TX for 5 years now and still have yet to see one.I am glad you are ok!
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I live near downtown Raleigh and watched it build up and start to come though. We really lucked out and ended up in this tiny sliver of green on the radar. Not worse than any normal NC summer storms. My mom had it a bit more rough, she's very shaken. I'm glad to hear you're ok and I hope it's another 20 years or so before we see anymore!
  • celtickarasu
    Options
    I'm in NC. I love tempestuous weather, so I went out on my porch to watch the lightning and the thunder and rain lulled me to sleep. Then my mom called me freaking out that she saw on the news tornadoes touched down in my town. I slept through the whole thing. I looked outside, and there was insulation from the roofs of my apartment complex all over the ground. I think I need to cut back on the studying.
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    So glad to hear you are ok. Prayers to you and all those effected by this storm!!! Here in NZ we know what mother nature is capable of!

yes you do! you have all been on our minds! japan too. Seems like mother nature is pissed!
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Glad you're okay. Been praying for everyone in the vicinity of those storms. I had my first (and prayerfully only) tornado experience last November. Totally unexpected since I live in Baltimore, MD. It actually came right through my neighborhood, and knocked down the chimney on my house. We're still under tornado watch right now, but I think the worst is over.
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    I live near downtown Raleigh and watched it build up and start to come though. We really lucked out and ended up in this tiny sliver of green on the radar. Not worse than any normal NC summer storms. My mom had it a bit more rough, she's very shaken. I'm glad to hear you're ok and I hope it's another 20 years or so before we see anymore!

Glad your mom is ok! i had a full on panic attack. not ok at all. ha
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I know how scary it is. When I was in high school a tornado ripped the roof off of the school in the a.m. when everyone was arriving. I was on the bus and all of the windows just starting busting. Will keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers! Stay safe!
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    I'm in NC. I love tempestuous weather, so I went out on my porch to watch the lightning and the thunder and rain lulled me to sleep. Then my mom called me freaking out that she saw on the news tornadoes touched down in my town. I slept through the whole thing. I looked outside, and there was insulation from the roofs of my apartment complex all over the ground. I think I need to cut back on the studying.

HAHA that was me when we lived in california and had earthquakes. I always slept through them!
  • pbattle106
    pbattle106 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    All my family lives in tarboro/rocky mount area! Praying for everyone
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    yeah no, tornados have always scared me, we have warnings all the time here this time of year and maybe 3 near us since we moved her 6 years ago, but this was the first time i have SEEN one. about 10 years ago or something like that one completely destroyed the walmart here! scary stuff.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Omg! Praying for you! Glad you and your son are okay!
  • crystaldougherty
    crystaldougherty Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Holy jeebus!!! My mom lives in the NC Foothills and said theres been at least 2 touchdowns, but only one was a forsure, their not sure yet if the 2nd one was a twister or just a baaaaaaad windstorm...... Stay safe!!!!!!!
  • mommymovingmountains
    mommymovingmountains Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I saw the coverage on the news! So glad that you are ok.
  • caberselli
    caberselli Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am in south-western VA & that storm blew through here earlier - very scary. Luckily no major damage & it cleared up in time for my son's first prom tonight - we even have a beautiful rainbow and sunset.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Gosh that is so scary. I would be freaking out to have to go through that with my daughter> I am glad that you and your family are safe! God bless.:smile:
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    I am in south-western VA & that storm blew through here earlier - very scary. Luckily no major damage & it cleared up in time for my son's first prom tonight - we even have a beautiful rainbow and sunset.

awww hope he has fun!!