Getting used to it

Options
I've heard that after people diet for a while, they get used to eating healthy foods and they stop getting cravings for the foods that they used to eat. After eating healthy foods for a while, did you ever "get used to it"? In other words, did you reach a point where unhealthy food wasn't appealing to you anymore? I'm asking because I would LOVE to reach that point... :) lol

Replies

• n0pants3ver
    n0pants3ver Posts: 175
    Options
    Yes! Chocolate. I used to eat chocolate so so so much. I had a small piece two days ago & it was gross. I seriously thought it was going to be delicious & it was just nasty. I wish i hadn't eaten it. It doesn't appeal to me anymore.
  • aferbet
    aferbet Posts: 124
    Options
    I haven't gotten used to it, but I can say that my cravings have dwindled and I don't eat as much "crap" food when I do get a craving. It's good to treat yourself every now and then...we deserve it!
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Sugar and fried foods no longer appeal to me and I have only been at this a month.
    I still crave carbs at times though! Hopefully this will pass as well.It helps if you just don't keep these foods in your house.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I quite drinking carbonated drinks, have no desire to go back. Friend foods are GROSSSS now! Too much of anything sweet, and I have the worst stomach ache. Not even a ton, just a little. Just not as used to it. I've found just keep it off the counter and it won't go in my mouth ;)
  • Packerfan23
    Packerfan23 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think it is possible! I have been working on the eating healthier for a few weeks now and I do not crave my vices that I had before as much as I used to. I used to drink lots of Diet Coke every day and I haven't had one in 6 weeks, and the thought of it now makes me almost sick...I have found that I am trying many more healthy things that I never used to eat, and actually thinking that they are not really as bad as I thought, such as broccoli and cucumbers. I am feel that I am getting used to eating healthier foods and I am not missing the junk I used to eat. Good luck on your journey!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I had fried food today and it wasn't very good. So yes, I suppose my palate is changing.
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    YES, definitely. I used to crave sugar and carbs, and I would eat them everyday. Now, I never want them. I can sit next to someone who is eating a dessert that the old me would devour and now I feel nothing - no desire to even taste it. I used to love gelato. The other day we went to a new gelato place, and my daughters ordered some. I took one taste and it was so sweet. I didn't even want anymore.

It's been a gradual process, but definitely within 3-4 weeks I had lost most of my cravings. Now, 10 months later, I never even think about it.
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    lol, no! but i can't seem to eat red meat or fried foods without horrible gastronomical results ... so now i CAN'T eat fried chicken even if i wanted to. unless i want to spend the next day in the bathroom O_o
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I've heard that after people diet for a while, they get used to eating healthy foods and they stop getting cravings for the foods that they used to eat. After eating healthy foods for a while, did you ever "get used to it"? In other words, did you reach a point where unhealthy food wasn't appealing to you anymore? I'm asking because I would LOVE to reach that point... :) lol

I have no cravings for all the unhealthy foods I used to eat. I had a burger a few weeks ago and I felt so yucky afterwords. Yuck!! I do not miss all the greasy foods at all!! I haven't had pop in almost 3 yrs and don't miss that either. I do occasionally have the odd chocolate bar or some candy but that's rare. I enjoy all the healthier foods now. I will never go back to my old ways.
  • Anna19911
    Anna19911 Posts: 141
    Options
    Not for me. I still crave and enjoy fatty foods. I just can't eat as much as I used too and thats always a good thing.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    My pallette has changed somewhat, too. My weakness was chocoloate and sugar. A couple of days ago, I walked right by the Snickers Eggs, and it wasn't even appealing to me. There are days when I still crave chocolate; sometimes I can substitute something else, and some times I give in but in moderation.

Your cravings may not go away completely, but it does get easier. Just keep at it.

Good luck on your journey.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    For me, I still incorporate "junky" foods into my diet here and there when I want them, when they fit in. But basically I changed my "backdrop" foods, the ones I eat most of the time without noticing or thinking about and let the others be a "do I really want them?" kinds of food. So I do get cravings (rainbow cookies, chocolate, chips) I do have them sometimes, just not as often as I once did.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i much prefer 'healthy foods' to junk. there isnt much junk or fast food type stuff i like, except taco bell, dont think i can ever get over tacobelll cravings
  • cinnaben
    cinnaben Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I recently quit eating fast food, and now I've found that anytime I eat crappy food I feel really sick. It's almost like my body had built up an immunity to the crappiness of it and now it can't handle it! I'm not really even tempted by it anymore. Knowing I have to be reminded of it later when I enter it here helps me to stay away from the stuff I know I'll regret.
  • aangrisani
    Options
    I will admit, I used to drink alot, I mean ALOT of coca cola! Even with breakfast. I never thought I would give it up completely. I now drink coke zero or diet coke, about one a day. I don't even think about regular coke any more. I dont even crave it. I actually like diet coke and dont think I will ever drink regular again. It has been close to 2 months for me.