Question About Calories

Options
So, i'm a little confused. I'm a female that needs to lose alot (110lb). I have a mostly sedentary lifestyle and don't get out very much due to health probs. However the calories according to this site that i'm supposed to eat are 3270 if I were to do 20 mins of exercise twice a week and to lose 2lbs a week.

That seems a little high to me? Infact I wouldn't be surprised if that's more than I eat now. Did the website mess up or something? I don't want to start stuffing myself to make up those calories if it's wrong lol.

Replies

• pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    You could try eating normally and count the calories to see how much you've eaten on your own before. But I don't think the site messed up, or at least I've never had a problem having it calculate anything. I personally thought that it puts people on the low end. I'm at 1440 calories a day doing 30min of cardio 5 or 6 times a week. You can always eat under what it gives you too. I treat it as more of a guideline.
  • MichelleMcWain
    MichelleMcWain Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have a lot to lose.. around 175 and it gives me a total of 1850 calories to eat per day and I have it set that I am working out 5 days a week for 30min a peice.. I put I am moderatly active during my work day.. try to reset your goals and see if it changes it.. just go through the steps again.
  • alicia826
    alicia826 Posts: 51
    Options
    Its just going off of how many calories your body supposedly burns by sitting doing nothing but breathing and subtracts a bit from that amount. If you don't end up eating that much day to day normally, you shouldn't eat more to meet the calorie goals. If you feel like you've been eating less than what it suggests maybe you just need to change what you eat. Have less junk type food that will fill you up with fats and eat more veggies and stuff so that way you're having about the same calories, but with less fat. I'm not a nutritionist or anything so don't quote me... but that's what I would think.

Good Luck! :)
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I would say maybe you should talk to a doctor to see how many calories you should eat....and then work with this site! 3200 sounds high to me. I had 100 total to lose, and have 20 left. I tried to keep it between 1200 - 1400 a day.

2639362.png
  • pooma
    pooma Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    ummmm....yes, I think there's an error somewhere. A very ACTIVE woman isn't going to require more than about 2200. Maybe re-enter all your stats. Good luck!
  • mufiey
    mufiey Posts: 38
    Options
    im older than you, more active and do 3O min of exercise a day and it only give me a little over 1300. i know im a Lil older but that's a big difference are you sure you put all your info in correctly. maybe you should try it again but that's only my opinion ive only been on here a couple months
  • snowflakelaia
    Options
    Very Important to remember:

Eat the calories from veggies, fruit, complex carbs (pasta, beans, rice, ...) and protein.

The less processed foods and added sugars you eat, the faster your weightloss will be.
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The site is not generally wrong, but that number sounds very wrong. Do you mind telling us how you filled out the form to set your values?
  • Clarina1980
    Options
    So I think the website did mess up slightly lol. I went into my profile and it said I was 11ft 11inches. I definitely didn't type that in haha.
    I have reset it now and adjusted me to 1800 cals.

Thanks so much for the replies. If I hadn't of checked I could have been bed bound by the end of the year with all those calories haha.
  • Billybobboy
    Billybobboy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Click on "Tools" from the menu, and then click on "BMR" to calculate your Basil Metabolic Rate, and it will tell you how many calories your body would burn in one day if you slept for 24 hours and never left the bed except to go to the toilet. ZERO exercise.

Therefore, ANY day when you eat less than that number of calories you WILL lose weight, even if you slept all day long. If you are active, instead, then obviously your body would require more caloric intake than the BMR level, or else you would lose weight.

I tend to question that you need over 3000 calories a day, but if your BMR is around 3600, and you are sedentary, then it makes sense, since it is a number below your BMR.

If your BMR is, for example, 2600, and you are essentially sedentary, then I would question how you could lose weight by taking in over 3000 calories a day.

I hope this helps.
  • JuniorTaitt
    JuniorTaitt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi Clarina1980

Its giving you such a high calorie number because the tool used to calculate our daily calories is missing a bodyfat percentage option.
    instead of using your actual weight, use the weight of your lean mass.

You can find this out by:

1) having a body composition test done.
    or
    2) Guessing it

Only use your actual weight from a scale on this website if your bodyfat is under 17% or so
    Its about the only "real" error / misleading thing on this site, everything else is great.