with Easter approaching....

Options
How can I watch my cal intake??? I will be celebrating with my siblings and parents, and we have the same thing every year.... a spiral ham with a brown sugar glaze and delmonico potatoes (VERY HIGH CALS) with veggies on the side and some sort of cake for dessert. So my question is, should I bring my own food with me or eat extremely small portions of what everyone else is eating? I really can't afford to go over at this point...I have plateaued :frown: So....My MFP friends...what do u think I should do???

Replies

• ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    Options
    I would just enjoy the day and eat the food, that's what I'm doing lol. Eat smaller portions and drink lots of water
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    try to get some exercise in before you go for sure. Maybe skip out on the potatos? Perhaps invite everyone to go on an after dinner walk with you?
    Definetly stick with small portions,drink lots of water so your not just sitting there while everyone else is still eating.
  • purpleface
    purpleface Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'd just enjoy myself! You can make it up by being good for the following week, drink plenty of water & do lots of exercise :) Either way I wouldn't worry too much.
  • hilhall822
    hilhall822 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Smaller portions and maybe bring a good salad with a light dressing.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Perhaps you could offer to make something to take, maybe even the potatoes, but make them with more healthy ingredients. I googled a recipe, and it looks like you could make some substitutions -- light or fat-free sour cream, skim milk, lowfat shredded cheese. My guess is that your family may not notice the difference, and it would certainly lighten up the recipe.

Another idea may be to offer to bring a big lettuce salad with some low-fat dressing. You could "fill up" on the salad, and then have a small servings of the ham, potatoes, and even dessert.

I usually eat "everything" that is available at family dinners (of course, I'm basically in maintenance now, and that makes a difference), but I watch my portion sizes and try to get in some type of exercise on those days. We have several graduations and weddings coming up in my family this spring and summer.....I know I won't be happy if I tell myself I can't have anything, so I will try to eat in moderation and up my workouts around those weekends.

Good luck,
    Kaye
  • malabaugh
    malabaugh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Maybe having a high calorie day will help you break out of your plateau. Try to get in a work out before you go and maybe you can recruit the family to take a walk between dinner and dessert. One day will not undo your hard work!
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    Enjoy yourself but in moderation. I fill my plate half full with veggies, and then small servings of richer foods. For my family Easter party I'm bringing a sugar free banana cream pie, because I have a major sweet tooth.
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I agree that a higher calorie day may give your metabolism a kick start. I know that calorie cycling works for me as well as lots of people. I would eat what they are having just not as much.
  • lisapickering
    Options
    I would do a hard workout before you go, then enjoy dinner! Watch your portions but don't feel guilty about it! Happy Easter!
  • Leahcutie
    Leahcutie Posts: 24
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Iaughed when I read your post because that is what my mom fixes every Easter too! I AM going to take a spinach or mixed salad, because I know there won't be one there. Other than that, I plan to drink a lot of water, eat small servings, and eat lots of the salad I bring. We usually have some type of cake too. I'm not sure I will indulge, but if I do, it will be a small piece. Good luck to you - and enjoy your Easter with your family. ;)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Maybe having a high calorie day will help you break out of your plateau. Try to get in a work out before you go and maybe you can recruit the family to take a walk between dinner and dessert. One day will not undo your hard work!

Ditto. Enjoy the food. Don't go crazy, but don't be super paranoid about eating either.
  • JellyJaks
    JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I would just say to heck with it that day. There are only 5 occasions a year where I toss the calorie book out the window and Easter is one of them. I don't stuff myself or anything. I just don't worry as much about what I'm eating and make the extra effort to exercise more. I also only drink water all day so I'm not taking in more calories that way.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Eat a little of the ham and potatoes, LOTS of veggies, tiny bit of dessert. Maybe volunteer to bring a veggie that you know you love and can eat lots of. Exercise as much as you have time for that day, and drink lots of water. Enjoy the day and company. Focus on the company, not the food.
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    avoid the yolks in hard boiled eggs and stay away from mayoey egg salad

besides that just smaller portions of whatever meal is being served should be fine

some candy is okay but dont go crazy
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Special occasions don't apply to diet. As long as they remain just that... OCCASIONS. Once in a blue moon (Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and your Birthday)
    Ham on deck for dinner? Go whole hog! Can't wait til roast up mine :)
  • ContinuousEffort
    Options
    Fill your plate, half full with vegetables, small portion of potatoes and a serving of ham.
  • Sugar5593
    Sugar5593 Posts: 22
    Options
    Eat something helthy before you leave that way you wont be too tempted to over portion. Drink lots of water and keep talking.. Lol i know that im a talker and its hard to eaat when your talking. I try to busy myself too untill its cleaned up and put away... If there are kidos i like to give the parents abreak and busy myself helping the little ones. Not much tome to eat when ur trailing a few toddlers lol
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i'm going to do smaller portions, limit candy, and bring a healthy side dish like a salad so i know how many calories are in it and i can load up on that!

my 2 cents: it's a holiday. it happens once a year. enjoy it :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of people about taking a one day break may be just what your body is asking for to break through the plateau. I would add (some of this has also been said by others):
    -get your exercise in
    -make the healthiest choices available, maybe even bring a healthy dish to share
    -do NOT weigh yourself the next day. Any change in diet can cause your body to retain or release water and a ham dinner will definitely be retain. You will need to wait a few days until you get back on the scale, if you are the kind of person to beat yourself up over the numbers.
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    ty every1...i have my answer! Sunday is going to be busy in the morning, an easter egg hunt, a pancake breakfast at church (grrrr more calories) and church afterwards, then another easter egg hunt after church and after that straight to my sister's house for dinner. I wonder how many cals I can burn doing easter egg hunts.....LOL