Why no salt?

ContinuousEffort
ContinuousEffort Posts: 136
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
I've always wondering, why do people talk about lowing salt when dieting. I eat a lot of salt, but have low blood pressure.
Should I be concerned with salt?

Replies

• cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,641 Member
    Too much salt retains water which halts weightloss. Well for me it does so I watch my foods that contain high sodium.
  • Does the water really stop the weight loss or is it water that just in your system and there is more if you eat salt?
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    There was a really good thread with lots of info regarding sodium the other day...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/217891-give-me-the-straight-dope-about-sodium
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    For me, it halts my weight loss. Excess water is stored in fat cells, too. That is why water weight can look and feel just like fat. When there is too much water because of sodium or any other reason, the processes that "find" excess fat can't get to the fat (it is buried under inflammation). In addition, for people who live and die by the scale, it is very discouraging to be dieting and exercising all week just to step on the scale and see a gain of 5+ pounds.
  • Thanks! I'm reading the link to the other discussion too. It makes sense that the fat can't reached.
    I just changed my setting so I can see the sodium each day too. I've always eaten a ton of salt.
    I crave it and I wonder why?
  • i loooove salt - i love it on corn on salads on sandwiches and on veggies I'm a very big lovah of salt haha. For me, I've tried to watch my carbs and my fat intake more than sodium - I feel like all those carbs and all those oils are more difficult to shed and make the difference in the long run. I also remember reading on the forums that if you drink enough water you can flush the sodium out of your system. Of course if you have health issues watch the sodium, but I've always thought that carbs and fats take precedence in controlling over sodium
This discussion has been closed.