Any desire to learn another language?

Options
WalkingGirl1985
WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
I know English..maybe a tiny bit of spanish. I have a desire to speak a second language, and Spanish seems to be easier to understand then anything else combined. Always welcome to a few pointers. :happy:

Edit- For the purposes..for fun, also have a lot of people in my town speak it, and I'm thinking about majoring into a medical field, so I think Spanish would also be helpful.

Replies

• LORR79
    LORR79 Posts: 55
    Options
    Im Scottish and only speak English.

My sister married an Italian and lives in Italy. She is expecting a baby in May so it would be nice to speak Italian. :smile:
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I took 4 years of Spanish in high school but it leaves pretty quickly. I have one semester of French under my belt, but I'd love to learn more. I've been to France twice and speaking nada is just frustrating (and my boyfriend's family lives there).

If you can get your hands on a copy of Rosetta Stone I highly recommend it.
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I took spanish in hs, went to japan for a year and picked up enough to say thank you, you're welcome, good morning/evening and bathroom. I dated a Filipina while there and learned enough Tagalog to ask for sex, food and water, also how to say I love you and to know when she was calling me a butterfly (cheater) so I could call her monkey or apple head.
  • RyanFiscus
    RyanFiscus Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hit the French hard before my France vacation, but have gotten very lazy since my return home.:drinker:
  • Focusonfifty
    Focusonfifty Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love Spanish. Studied it in both HS and college. I used to walk with a Spanish/English dictionary, but as with everything else "there's an app for that". I also have a new Spanish word emailed to me daily. I know quite a bit and plan to speak it fluently in the near future.
  • WWE_chick
    WWE_chick Posts: 86
    Options
    I am currently learning Spanish. My mother is puerto rican and doesn't speak it so I never learned until recently in college. When i have extra cash i want to buy Rosetta Stone.
  • srast
    srast Posts: 17
    Options
    I love learning languages. I'm a Teacher of the Deaf so my 2nd language is American Sign Language. My boyfriend is an Italian American and his family speaks Italian at home frequently. I always wish I can understand them because it's so interesting. I took some Spanish in HS and college and loved that, too. I would like to take classes for fun when I have more time. Someday...
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    French and Arabic :)
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I would like to learn Korean, since most people assume that I speak it anyway. :tongue:
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is french, so ive been trying to learn french for the last 4/5 years. im not too bad, but nowhere near fluent yet. I find languages quite difficult
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I know spanish naturally and I know english...... Portuguese would be next to learn...
  • britt_fit
    britt_fit Posts: 169
    Options
    Spanish would be an excellent idea then! My second major is Spanish and I live in an area with a huge Spanish population. I would say don't be afraid to make mistakes and just get out there and speak it at the stores or wherever. If you explain to people that you're learning, they're very kind and helpful :smile:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I honestly would like to learn as many languages as possible. I'm an avid seeker of all knowledge. I strive to attain the omniscience to match my self-confidence.
  • mamijujuphat
    mamijujuphat Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Je parle un peu de Français.....y hablo español....:wink: I do need to brush up on my French since I took it a while back.....I think is fun learning another language :glasses:
  • TheDaniProject
    Options
    spanish is my first language followed by english and then spanglish lol=D
    i took two semesters of italian in hs but that was long ago and well only remember the some of the basics.
    id like to learn japanese for one day i day when things are in order i can visit tokyo japan =) ive always wanted to go there...
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I took a year and a half of Spanish in middle school. I went to the DR in January 2010 and I was surprised by how much Spanish I actually remembered. Still not nearly enough to get by, but a lot more than I had expected to remember. Now I want to learn even more. I am taking a Spanish class online this summer.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Spanish would be my choice. And you are correct. It's badly needed in healthcare settings. I work in a hospital and wish I was fluent.
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I'm a firefighter/paramedic, and work for the school system. Being able to speak spanish has been GREAT in my fields. I truly believe it you can put spanish speaking on an application, with the way things are going in the US, that puts you SO far ahead of anyone else. Plus I have also heard once you learn a language other than english, other languages are very easy to learn. English is kind of the odd ball language. I've wanted to branch out to italian, since it is very simialr to spanish.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I spent many years working in Russia so I can speak it and even read it a little. But now I work in Angola, west Africa and they speak Portuguese, so I would like to learn that. I just haven't put in the effort.
  • imdoune
    imdoune Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I so want to speak Russian!! I was supposed to take this class at Uni next year, but I didn't since I wanted my German to be perfect before learning another language! I already speak French, English, Spanish and German =D.