Interval training and Blood Glucose Levels

Options
irridia
irridia Posts: 527 Member
So I haven't done it in the extreme lately and measured. But I busted my buns as hard as I could go until I couldn't breath in the pool and then did slow back strokes until I catch my breath and then do it again. For about 45 min to an hr. I would start off w/about 100 for my fasting glucose. I ate a banana before starting and then breakfast after then 2 hrs after breakfast my glucose was up to 256, then an hr after that about 150 and then before lunch it was more like 67.

Ideas? is this going to cause the same kind of long term damage that you get from food induced hi glucose? Intervals keep it interesting for me and challenging, plus they've been shown to be uber beneficial for women and for losing deep belly fat which I really need to do.

I've been doing a more moderate form of interval training lately, but fasting is 130-150 and I'm trying to get it down w/out adding more meds. The rest of the day is fine. I try to have oatmeal w/stevia and nothing else on it in the morning but that has been pushing the glucose up, the other issue is that eggs work fine but I have to watch the cholesterol. Greek yogurt snacks in the morning, but the lactose tends to drive it up a little. Better than normal yogurt, but still.

Any help, advice or anecdotal evidence of how to manage this is most appreciated.

Replies

• HappyFeat
    HappyFeat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Irridia,

You will only have positive long term benefits from interval training related to your glucose levels. The reason you're seeing an acute rise in glucose with interval training is because, like strength training, this exercise relies primarily on carbohydrate metabolism. Glycogen will be broken down to glucose, carried through your blood stream to your muscle, so your muscle can use glucose as its energy source.

Long term though, interval training is great for blood glucose. High intensity exercise maintains proper insulin receptors on your muscle cells (i.e., increases insulin sensitivity). Also with increased muscle mass you have a greater surface area for glucose uptake, so less glucose in your blood.

If you're noticing that your glucose is high early in the day, this is mostly due to the "Dawn Phenomenon". Upon waking, catecholamines are released which cause a rise in blood glucose. The only way to prevent this really is to stick with foods that are of a very low glycemic load during mornings (and really for most of the day.)

Hope this helps.. not sure if I'm answering your question :)
  • irridia
    Options
    you did! Thank you!

Any ideas on what would be a good breakfast food that won't hurt cholesterol? I also have gout so of course that also interferes w/muscular glucose uptake.
  • HappyFeat
    HappyFeat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'd say the absolutely most ideal breakfast for you would be something like-- smoked salmon on wheat toast.. Or steel cut oats with natural peanut butter. Both are filling, low glycemic load, low or no cholesterol meals. Not sure if you've had good luck with your glucose levels and these particular meals, but I bet they're pretty good!
  • irridia
    Options
    Thankyou again! I will have to try that, prolly next week. Looks like Quinona might be a good breakie food as well w/the protein to carb ratio.