Low Cal Banana Bread

Options
Anise76
Anise76 Posts: 57 Member
I converted this recipe to be both low fat AND low sugar! It works a treat, and it's wonderful when still warm.

It has 108 calories per slice.

Serves 12

3 very ripe bananas
200g plain flour
15g/10 tbsp Splenda
50g low fat margarine
4 tbsp water
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

1. Mash the bananas until smooth
2. Cream the margarine and Splenda together until light and creamy
3. Mix in the water and banana until well blended
4. Lightly stir in the dry ingredients, making sure that you scrape everything away from the side. Do not over-mix
5. Pour into a loaf tin lined with greaseproof paper - no need to grease the tin
6. Bake in the oven at 180 degrees for approximately 1 hour. Test with a skewer, and if it comes out clean, the cake is done

Replies

• biggiwig
    biggiwig Posts: 76
    Options
    I try that with whole grain flour. Hope it turns out good. Thank for sharing.
  • lnadeau66
    lnadeau66 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump wish I had this yesterday!:smile:
  • Anise76
    Options
    Am sure it'll be great with wholegrain flour. I usually toss some cinnamon in as well, to give it a bit more of a kick! Hope you enjoy it.
  • Anise76
    Options
    bump wish I had this yesterday!:smile:

Sorry... It was only today that I had a chance to work out the conversion from sugar to Splenda! Enjoy!
  • cafeteriagirl
    cafeteriagirl Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    thanks that is a great recipe!!
  • Anise76
    Options
    Just another practical tip... might not be a bad idea to spray the inside of the greaseproof paper with low cal oil spray... I'm having a hell of a time getting the cake to peel off!!! Tastes great, though!
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    oh thats frustrating i only have 2 over ripe bananas and no baking powder, i will by the end of the week though!
  • carriemc12
    carriemc12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MJKing2
    MJKing2 Posts: 177
    Options
    Yumm! I just about threw out 3 over ripe bananas yesterday and decided not to in hopes of finding a low cal bread recipe! Great timing. Thanks. :)
  • Crys_00
    Crys_00 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Anise76
    Options
    It's just got the seal of approval from my son and husband, who didn't believe it was low fat and low sugar. It's a little differently textured when using Splenda, but no less tasty,
  • ej223
    ej223 Posts: 20
    Options
    bump
  • biggiwig
    biggiwig Posts: 76
    Options
    I tried it, and it was so yummy. Worked out pretty good with the whole grain.
  • Anise76
    Options
    I tried it, and it was so yummy. Worked out pretty good with the whole grain.

Glad to hear it! I'll have to get hold of some wholegrain flour and try it as well!
  • ElanorC
    ElanorC Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How much sugar was it instead of Splenda? Can't get on with sweeteners :noway:
  • Anise76
    Options
    150g or 5oz, and I think it takes the total calorie count per slice up to something like 170.
  • RichGebs
    RichGebs Posts: 345
    Options
    if i don't use low fat margarine, and just use regular margarine, you think the calories will dynamically increase? or will the fat increase a lot?
  • Anise76
    Options
    Both, I think!

To be sure, and to get a calculation, use the recipe part of the food section here. :)
  • Anise76
    Options
    One other thing - the oven temp is in Celcius. If you are using fahrenheit, 350-360 is where you need to be at. If you're using a gas oven, you're looking at Gas Mark 4-5.
  • ldon37
    ldon37 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Bump!!