Newbie that screwed up with eating while watching tv...

AmysNewBeginning
AmysNewBeginning Posts: 244 Member
edited September 26 in Introduce Yourself
Ugggghhhhh!!!!!!!! How do you not eat while watching tv? I am so mad at myself group....I could cry.

So pumped yesterday, but this is one of my weakness's...stress eating and eating when I watch tv.

This new picture of me I put up is where I want to get back to. This was in Myrtle Beach 3 years ago, we are going back in 8 weeks. I'm like 20 lbs heavier now than in the picture...I know I won't lose it all, but I am so frustrated that I was so pumped, did great, then friggin went to bed and ate pretzels with ranch and mustard, then had cereal. :( I'm just being honest, that is who I am, no BS from this girl. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    We all have our weaknesses. Especailly on the weekend. Mine happens to be cheeseburgers and beer. Both of which I had this weekend. I workout like a mad woman all week and eat a very strict measured diet. So I never beat myself up for a little indudgence. I just make sure that it doesn't become a lifestyle any more. And you had pretzels and cereal..... I ate a cheeseburger..... So I say you did better than I did..:wink:
  • BunnybeeJG
    BunnybeeJG Posts: 344 Member
    try special k cracker chips.
    idk man they are pretty tasty.
  • AmysNewBeginning
    LOL, thanks girl, I just want this so bad, and I feel like I failed already. I even kept thinking of this site as i chewed away! lol

but kept chewing...but thank you....have a great day!!!!!!!!!!
  • AmysNewBeginning
    those are good, and i would eat the whole darned box!!!!!!!!!! lol! thanks!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    There are two ways to go here: either cut out the TV snacks or plan for them.

I plan for them. Just about every night I either have aa serving of nuts or some baby carrots with hummus.
  • AmysNewBeginning
    I dont watch alot of tv, on the weekends i tend to more. i was watching hoarding....lol!!!! so i wanted to eat....it was late, usually i got bed early, so i dont ever think im gonna have to snack, but then i find myself doing it. but you're right, i just need to pick something better, or plan that i could do this. thank you!!!!!!!!!
  • meadowski
    meadowski Posts: 3 Member
    I was the same way then I started spending a lil more money and started buying 100 calorie snacks [Skinny cow Ice cream .Special K chips Cookies,Cheese crackers I save 200 calories for my 2 night snacks I seem to average 1.5 to 2 pounds a week still so far
  • AmysNewBeginning
    WOW, that is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are doing great!!!!!! Thank you for the tip!!!!!!
  • cdez80421
    cdez80421 Posts: 88 Member
    Maybe for a while, until you feel you are a bit more in control, you can make the bedroom a t.v. free zone? I was also a t.v. eater
    and broke the habit, just tried to stay busy, cleaning, sweeping, doing laundry, whatever I could do to keep me busy. I didnt get to watch to much t.v., but now, I hardly ever sit in front of the t.v., let alone eat in front of it.
  • AmysNewBeginning
    that is a great idea!!!!!!!!!! i don't watch a lot of tv either, mainly on weekends when the house is settled in bed...i will just read instead of turning on tv, until like you said i am in better control, thank you thank you for that suggestion!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    How much water do you drink a day? (rule of thumb for amount of water per day: take your weight and divide by 2 for the number of ounces per day to drink, more for exercise/excess sodium) If you're not drinking enough, you could be mistaking the signs that your body needs more water as hunger pains or munchies (funny thing the body, uses the same signal for both). To figure out which one it is, when you feel like you should eat something, drink 8-16 oz of water and wait 20 mins. if you're still feeling it, then you're probably hungry and can measure out a snack. Otherwise, the water will take care of it. Not only that, but the water also fills you up so you'll eat less if you're still "hungry". :happy: Hope this helps!!!
  • AmysNewBeginning
    You're right I haven't been drinking enough water, and I had a lot of salty stuff yesterday...good point, and thanks for the reminder!!!!!!!! good job on your weight loss, you must feel amazing and so proud of your hard work!!!!!!! i'm impressed!!!!
    have a great sunday and thanks again!
  • rixeyce
    rixeyce Posts: 3 Member
    At least you recognize the weakness, so you can change it. Don't beat yourself up, just do better the next day. I agree with illchino4af about the water intake. Drink lots. Maybe substitute the snacks with an apple something else with less calories that still fills you up. Your Myrtle Beach trip is still weeks away, you have plenty of time to reach your goal. Keep your eye on the prize and keep going......
  • AmysNewBeginning
    THANK YOU SO MUCH! I just sent you a friend request, we sound alot a like. I love the same foods, except I love margaritas and cant stand beer, lol.....and my belly is my main thing. I run a daycare in my home so food is available to me 24/7 and when i stress i eat, that is why i've ended up back here again. 5 yrs ago i lost 27.5 lbs in 14 weeks, the last 7-8 months have been very stressful to me due to very hurtful situations and i ate everything....WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Do you have a treadmill? I also am a TV eater and no matter how hard I try I always give in so now..I only watch TV while walking on my treadmill, sounds crazy but if I am busy then I dont think about eating. I think it is more of a board thing maybe, so now I only watch TV on the treadmill, while cleaning house or with my husband (he has been instructed not to let me eat and watch TV) Lol..Hope this helps and good luck. MFP has done wonders for me!
  • AmysNewBeginning
    i have to take sleeping pills to help me sleep, so exercising at night isn't an option before bed, but i think i'm not going to watch tv at night until i get my control back!!!!!!!!!!! :) thank you for your suggestion though, have a great sunday!!!!!!!!
  • AmysNewBeginning
    oh and good job on your 17 lb loss!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wooooooooooo hoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    i used to have that issue. now what i do is plan for my snack and measure it out and bring it to the couch with me. it's my last snack of the day and i try to make it healthy(ish). i can't bring a box or a bag or it'll all be gone! and generally i get too wrapped up in my show to get back up for more, haha. i also bring a gigantic glass of water with me.

also, i LOVE Hoarders. i'm addicted to stuff like that, haha!
  • AmysNewBeginning
    LOL, i know love those shows!!!!!!! i was eating in bed, not at the couch....but i feel better today after being on this site! TODAY IS A NEW DAY RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS ON YOUR 12 LB LOSS!!!!!!!!!!! WOOO HOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    I think many of us have been there.........

I started making myself drink 2 glasses of water before I would snack, and by the time I got to a snack I felt so bloated from the water that I no longer wanted to eat anything....after a few weeks I noticed that I no longer wanted the snack. I also greatly cut back on my tv time (admittely the DVR has helped since I speed through commercials)
This discussion has been closed.