New and Looking for Friends, Advice and Support

MeReDone
MeReDone Posts: 3
edited September 26 in Introduce Yourself
:smile: Hello! I just joined yesterday and like many others I've tried so many different diets and exercise programs over the years with little to no success. I welcome support and advice from everyone, however I'd particularly like to hear from women in their their 50's who are having success with their weight loss journeys. It seems like my metabolism is non-existent at this point. I have an elliptical at home and some weights and an exercise ball. Currently I'm trying 30 to 45 minutes a day on the elliptical and moderate weights and calories at 1200 to 1400 daily for 3 weeks with not a single pound lost!! I'm not afraid to sweat but I need to go with low impact type of exercises due to arthritic joints. How many minutes should I be exercising? what type of exercise? Should it be all at once or can you break it into 2 or 3 sessions a day? Do you eat many times a day, eliminate sugar, low carb? ( I've tried them all) I know there's no one right answer for everyone, but hearing from others in my age bracket who are having success would be very much appreciated!

Replies

• alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Friend request sent :smile:
  • song2sing
    song2sing Posts: 183
    You can add me if you'd like. I'm in the half century club too!:flowerforyou:
  • You can add me too, I am 38 and I have had the exact same metabolism issues ! Seemed like no matter what I did I never lost an ounce. I started using MFP and I have lost 17 pounds in the last 30 days! I love it, this is the first "diet"/lifestyle change that I have been able to stick to! Just make sure you log every bite that you put in your mouth and I am sure it will work for you too! Good Luck! and Welcome
  • Welcome from an almost 50
    I was doing mostly Cardio for the last year and have just switched to a regular gym ( which I didn't think I was going to be crazy about) but it turns out I LOVE IT!!!!
    I get an assessment every two months which is giving me the motivation I need to improve myself... my first assessment they gave me they told me that I needed to put on 5 lbs of muscle and this would put my body into a continuous fat burning mode they suggested 40 minutes of weights at least 4 times a week..I feel I need the cardio to make me feel like I've done a workout...sooooo I do 15 min on the eliptical then 40 min of weights then i enjoy the use of the swimming pool for a least another 30 min.. then finish up in the hot tub... feels more like a spa to me.... I really enjoy it ... My second assessment is later this week and I am excited and nervous to see what improvements I have made... feel free to add me as a friend and good luck to you!!!!!!!!!!

145716.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • MeReDone
    Thank You!! I appreciate your support and friendship! Congrats to you on your success!!
  • Please add me as a friend. I'm 59 years old and can relate to your situation....sounds like me!! I have struggled my entire life with being overweight! Over the last two years I have lost 80 pounds by cutting calories to around 1300 and doing 45 minutes of exercise 3-4 times a week....mostly cardio. I know I need to work on strength training. I still have 71 pounds to lose and I joined MFP last week. After perusing the website this week, I feel it is going to provide me with the information and motivation to lose the rest of this weight!! I am learning a lot by completing the food and exercise dairies. I have several friends on here already and they are so encouraging and I have enjoyed reading about the success of others....gives me hope!
  • MeReDone
    Thanks so Much!! I'm feeling inspired already!! Congrats to all of you !!
This discussion has been closed.