MYSTERIOUS WEIGHT GAIN

Options
Last week on weigh in I weighed 163.4. Today I weighed 166.1.

Yikes!

I didn't eat fabulously the past week and over the course of the week went about 500 calories over my weekly budget. However, on that same stroke, I burned nearly 2400 calories in exercise, so really, I should have at least maintained my weight.

I thought possibly it was water retention but have no signs of bloating. I was constipated for a couple days but even after that cleared up I was still heavy. I had the flu yesterday, threw up all day. But again and again and again...no signs that I should be weighing more.

In fact, it's like I went to bed weighing 163.4 on Sunday night and woke up in the 166's on Monday morning and never came back down.

It is not my TOM. I am cyst-free. I am getting plenty of sleep. And for those who think everything stems from an STD, no, I do NOT have an STD. I am also NOT pregnant. (and yes, I am positive of both of those facts).

I don't know that I've had anymore stress than usual.

I just told my fiance that we have to eat extraordinarily clean this week so I can figure out what's doing this to me. But it would be nice if someone who has actually experienced this problem (yes, actually experienced it) could tell me what was going on with them so I can start to narrow down the possibilities.

Replies

• suzyr78
    suzyr78 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have had that happen to me too, so don't worry.

Eat really clean for a few days and watch your carbs. I can't do low carb long term, but I find if I do at least 3 days of no or low carb, it helps get that water weight off and kind of "resets" things.

It's definitely depressing though to see the numbers go up, in fact, it will ruin my whole day. Sad, I know!

Good luck and hang in there!!
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I know you said that it's not your "TOM"; HOWEVER, I find that I tend to weigh LESS during my TOM....When I weigh my heaviest is a week BEFORE it starts (when I am ovulating)....Perhaps this is the same for you?
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    Step away from the evil scale!! :tongue: Seriously. You are doing one of two things. Retaining water in your muscles from starting to work out again(or a higher intensity) or you have gained some muscle tone. Don't worry about either. Me personally, I've learned that weighing myself, tends to make me nuts! I can feel my clothes fitting better (which means I am shrinking) but if were to get on that scale and see no loss (or even a gain) mentally it would torture me! It would really hinder me and discourage me. I only weigh myself every few months or so. Try putting the scale away and concentrate on making this a life style change. The weight will come off. Keep working out, eating clean and healthy and your body will respond. :flowerforyou:
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I like to call numbers like that bounces .I've never found an explanation for them that works. Sodium, new exercises, or anything else don't explain every bounce for me. I just said "forget it. I'm gonna look at long term trends and just make sure those are where they should be."

So this is what my weight loss looks like on about an every 2 to 4 day weigh in.

photo.png

I wouldn't worry to much about the bounces. Just keep doing what you know is right and the bounces will keep going down. All that really matters is that in 6 months your high bounce will be below your current low bounce.

ETA - BTW I'm set up on MFP for a 1 lbs per week loss, and if you look in the top right corner of the picture, you'll see that's exactly what I've gotten.
  • lcamero2
    lcamero2 Posts: 52
    Options
    Don't worry this happend to me this week... I had that happen one night this week.. there were no other reasons for my overnight weight gain of 3 lbs (I always lose overnight and my weight doesn't fluctuate much during the day) except that I had pulled an almost all nighter (until 4 am and I had to be up at 630am for work and an exam). As soon as I went back to sleep later in the day, my weight gain disappeared.. Did you get a lesser amount of sleep than usual that day?
  • GarminForerunner
    Options
    I had the flu yesterday, threw up all day. But again and again and again...no signs that I should be weighing more.

Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    You didn't say what your weight was before the 163, but if you had a big drop down to that, it could be that you were dehydrated then and now are at your normal weight. I would say don't go overboard on eating "extremely" clean, don't be afraid to indulge once in a while. It's much better than having a huge binge one day.
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    keep up the good work your body will catch up! Looks like you may have some "stress" being you're about to get married. Birth control can also make our bodies gain. You'll figure it out.
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    Two pounds and a half are NOTHING. Your body fluctuates in weigh and we can't explain it all. I'm 140lb, which is kind of small for MFP, and my weight still fluctuates about 3lb now and then.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Bloating weight and water retention can often cause false gains that take as much as 3 days to a week to drop completely. I find that especially if I eat really processed cheeses (like typical pizza or Kraft kind of stuff) or if I eat at a restaurant I can gain up to 4-5 lbs that stick around for a minimum of 3 days.

Christa also maybe on to something- I weigh lowest during my TOM and most during my ovulation (sorry for the TMI, but it's truthy)

Best thing to do from here is to take a few days and eat clean filling happy-making foods as much as possible and plenty of water. I know it sounds absolutely nutty but I find that when I take a full day to just slow down and make quiet, healthy choices and try out a new recipe or two, I just feel better and it dissapates faster.

But just know this isn't an anomoly, plenty of people go thought it- weight fluctuates- it happens. Keep trucking!

FYI For April my weight has gone:

(my goal is about .75 lbs a week)
  • JessJoJell
    Options
    I have had this happen to ....depressing!! but it sounds like all in all you had a good week with excercise and diet so Im sure your on the right track. Good luck!!
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Here's another thought... This absolutely did happen to me! I was SO angry. I'd love to say I was frustrated, but truth is that I was P*$$ed off! Mad as heck! :explode: Anyway - when I went in and visited at the program I'm on, she quickly pointed out that I said I had been sick for 2 days. During that time, I didn't eat much at all because I kept worrying about all of it "coming up" so to speak. Our body wants to even out when we are sick. As soon as she pointed out that I had been sick... I instantly shook my head at myself and thought, OF COURSE, she didn't even need to say the rest. I work in the medical field, I knew that... but when it came to my numbers on the scale, well, all that knowledge that I "know" for everyday life seemed to fly out the window! :blushing: I get it, I get the frustration... but give it a week. Your body is leveling out from being sick. Your body wants to make sure that there is enough nutrients to replenish when you are back to 100%. That may be why you had this "mysterious" weight gain. I'm not an expert, and am only speaking from my experience about 6 weeks ago!

Keep focused, stay the course! :wink:
  • kittybitz79
    kittybitz79 Posts: 213
    Options
    There are a lot of reasons your body can fluctuate in a day. Besides being sick, was there something you ate that made you retain water (ex Chinese food) Is it that time of the month, mine goes up and down like a rocket then. Being sick. There are so many things that are very easy to understand. My favorite saying is " A woman's body does what it wants when it wants." Including adding a few pounds for now reason. Give it a week bet your back down.
  • theresaaugello
    Options
    Unfortunately, I have had to come to terms with this as well. It is all a part of being female! :)
  • Nkauj_Lis
    Nkauj_Lis Posts: 70
    Options
    That happened to me before. When it happened to me, I took a ginger bath, fill the tub with warm water (more on the hot side). Take fresh ginger and put it inside a knee high stocking. Use a pan or anything you have that can smash up the ginger. Be sure to wrap the ginger stocking in a towel so it does not splatter all over the place. Then boiled the crushed ginger in a small pot. Let it boil for 15-20 minutes. Dump the liquid and ginger stocking into the warm water tub. Soak in it for 20-30 minutes. After 5 minutes, your pores will open and you will start to sweat alot. This will get rid of excess fluid and toxin. After you are done with the bath, wrap yourself in a bathrobe because you will continue to sweat for at least 2 hours. You will also feel really tired so go to bed. If you find yourself feeling lightheaded when in the tub, squeeze 1 orange juice into the water and wrap a cool wet towel around your neck. This will help. If you do this at least 2 times a week it helps speed up weight lost and water retention. Be sure to drink plenty of water during and after.

Good luck.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I would suggest trying to add Sodium to your dairy. This could also be having an effect on your weight gain/loss. You may be going over your sodium and that takes a toll on weight loss. Especially if your intake of sodium is higher than your intake of water.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    My standard reply o questions like this is: are you measuring EVERYTHING that goes past your lips? A common error is to to not count the little tastes during food prep or to be estimating the portions. If you are not experiencing the weight loss you expect, make sure you are actually tracking your eating.