Fruit sugars

Options
can someone help me on sugars in food. I am trying to cut down my intake of sugars as they are wasted calories. I have been eating a lot of bananas and apples, but when I was looking at the food chart, I noticed that they had a lot of sugar. Is there good and bad sugars, or should I be laying off these fruit items too.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies

• RLCoach
    RLCoach Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    can someone help me on sugars in food. I am trying to cut down my intake of sugars as they are wasted calories. I have been eating a lot of bananas and apples, but when I was looking at the food chart, I noticed that they had a lot of sugar. Is there good and bad sugars, or should I be laying off these fruit items too.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • Jillian
    Jillian Posts: 88
    Options
    From what I've been told apples and pears and good sugars because your body burns them slower? I think. But fruits are better than candy bars and adding sugar to your foods.
  • sph40
    sph40 Posts: 24
    Options
    I really think that if you are craving something sweet, then eat a banana. Fruits have natural sugars and it seems from what I've studied that those natural sugars are okay. BUT, canned or packaged fruits contain added sugars, so stay away from "fruit cups." Keep eating apples and whatever fruit you want, it's okay. Don't worry so much about the technicle sugar amounts. Fruits=good...I don't care what any chart says.
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I think that sugars from fruit are totally better than refined sugars that you find in other foods and I believe your body processes them differently. Fruits are definately your best choice in a snack if your looking for something sweet and the sugar in them won't hurt you.
  • peacefulwarrior
    Options
    Fruit does contain forms of sugar, it is however better that a hot fudge sundae. Don't be afraid to eat fruits just don't count on them for every snack. Mix things up a little bit instead of fruit enjoy some mixed nuts, which most are very good for you. Hope this helps a little
  • amandastamey
    amandastamey Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Food GI Value
    Cherries 22
    Grapefruit 25
    Prunes 29
    Apricots, dried 30
    Apple 38
    Peach, canned in juice 38
    Pear, fresh 38
    Plum 39
    Strawberries 40
    Orange, Navel 42
    Peach, fresh 42
    Pear, canned 43
    Grapes 46
    Papaya 56
    Banana 52
    Kiwi 58
    Fruit Cocktail 55
    Mango 51
    Apricots, fresh 57
    Figs, dried 61
    Apricots, canned 64
    Raisins 56
    Cantaloupe 65
    Pineapple, fresh 66
    Watermelon 72
    Dates 103
    What is it?

The glycemic index of food is a ranking of foods based on their immediate effect on blood glucose (blood sugar) levels. Carbohydrate foods that breakdown quickly during digestion have the highest glycemic indexes. Their blood sugar response is fast and high. Carbohydrates that breakdown slowly, releasing glucose gradually into the blood stream, have low glycemic indexes.

What is the significance of Glycemic Index?

Low GI means a smaller rise in blood sugar and can help control established diabetes

Low GI diets can help people lose weight and lower blood lipids

Low GI diets can improve the body's sensitivity to insulin

High GI foods can help re-fuel carbohydrate stores after exercise

How to switch to a low GI diet

Breakfast cereals based on wheat bran, barley and oats

"Grainy" breads made with whole seeds

Pasta and rice in place of potatoes

Vinegar and lemon juice dressings

In short, the goal should be to build a good plan including the low Glycemic Index foods. This way, hunger is minimized, and there is less tendency to "cheat" or overeat. Consequently, you can continue to lose body fat or maintain your weight - once the excess pounds have been lost.

Even for those whose main objective is not fat loss, foods that are low on the glycemic index will help alleviate mood swings and regulate energy levels.

Some points to ponder:

Foods that stimulate insulin surges can cause people to eat 60 - 70% more calories at the following meal.
    People who consume foods relatively high in glucose (such as white bread, most commercial whole wheat bread, and raisins) eat an average of 200 calories more at the next meal than those who eat fructose (a sugar found in fruits).
    reference:http://www.becomehealthynow.com/article/carbs/8/
  • karathrace
    Options
    Fruits are NATURAL and good for you :) I wouldn't worry about sugars in those one bit :)
  • RLCoach
    RLCoach Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for your help, I appreciate it. I may eat 4 bananas and 3 apples a day is why I asked. I try to eat fruit at each meal and as snacks, so when I saw the sugar amounts I was alarmed. It looks like I should add pears and grapefruits since I like them both.
  • kellyhough17
    Options
    I am a diabetic and I can tell you that apples and bananas don't raise my blood sugar as much as other fruits. Apples are high in fiber, which slows down the rate at which your body burns food and bananas are reallly high in potassium to help keep your energy up. I am not a medical prof. but have been diabetic for 15 years and know a lot about sugars in foods. One fruit that really makes my blood sugars high is pinnapple. But the fructose in fruit is burned off more easily than refined sugar, I really wouldn't worry about it unless you are eating a huge gigantic bowl 2-3 times a day. Just space it out during the day and you will be fine.