Anyone incorporate "FreeDays"?

Options
I was just curious if anyone uses a Free Day? When I've tried to lose weight in the past, I found I would stick with it longer and do much better the rest of the week if I had one day where I didn't track my food. Granted, that doesn't mean I can go eat fall the junk food I can find all day long, but I could go out to dinner and have a cocktail and whatever else I want, or have that ice cream sundae. I've also used it for going to parties or eating at friends' houses when I might not always have the healthiest of options. I've always kept it to one day a week, though WHICH day can change if I need it to.
This time around, I'm thinking of using it mostly on Saturdays, because I usually work the night shift Friday into Saturday, and that is one of my biggest downfalls. There's always a ton of junk food around and it's really hard to keep your willpower going when you've essentially been awake for 18 hours and still have 8 more to go. I do try to avoid the junk, but it's tough at 2 am with the candy, cupcakes, cheese, etc. sitting right in front of you.
Anyway, just wondering if anyone else does something like this, and, if you do, do you just not enter anything into MFP, or what?
Thanks!

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Not really "free" days but I do have times when I allow myself to eat over my calories. Yesterday was a prime example. Actually went way over what I planned but I still log it all so there is no question on weigh in day if I gain.
  • msenn2692
    msenn2692 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I also have free day saturday. I was a recomendation from my exercise coach. On sunday mornings i map out all my meals for the week through Friday so i know what i am going to have each meal. Making sure i am getting enought proteins and complex carbs. Saturdays i still track here but don't worry to much about what i am eating. I also don't exercise on saturdays.
  • sarahlasvegas
    sarahlasvegas Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldnt have a "junk day" as such planned - but i do still have meals out etc.. I still like a drink and a nice dinner now and then.

But if im having a meal out I will be really good and ensure i excercise before then.

For me, ill always have cakes etc as treats - just now I have 1 instead of 3 or 4... and eat better around this. I dont see this as a diet but just me being accountable for what im eating and when.

That long shift at work - are you able to take food with you? Can you plan around it to make it earier.
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I use Weight Watchers or Skinny Cow Ice Cream to satisfy those cravings. I don't allow myself a cheat day, but every once in a while I will allow myself small indulgements such as real salad dressing or a little bit of ketchup. That usually works for me. If I allow myself a cheat day it takes away from everything I have worked so hard for. Small little rewards are great though. And they push me to work out harder the next day to get rid of them.
  • Momcharisma88
    Momcharisma88 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    my rest days mean i still do strength training and my two 3 mile walks i just dont run that day and i still hold my self accountable to everything i stick in my mouth. I find i feel i let myself off the hook if i dont keep up at least the majority and it makes me feel more confident that i didnt completely "rest" that day, and i still eat good clean food
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Not really "free" days but I do have times when I allow myself to eat over my calories. Yesterday was a prime example. Actually went way over what I planned but I still log it all so there is no question on weigh in day if I gain.

Yes. I don't like the terms "cheat" or "free" days, because it seems like I'm being confined to a restricted feedlot of food rules. I eat the foods I choose, and therefore have the option of having days of "increased calorie intake" - which is the actual act that is happening. It's all a bunch of numbers that either go above or below a set number. There's no dietary euphemism involved with it.
  • tktufc91
    tktufc91 Posts: 3
    Options
    If I've lost weight, then I treat myself to a "Free Day" as a small reward. I don't normally go over the top with junk food and to be honest, I never go over my limit on a free day anyway. Most times however I never record my calorie intake on a free day. It's just one day a week where I don't have to worry about what I'm eating, and I know if I work as hard as I have done in the past (eating right, sticking to calorie limits, exercising regularly), it's something to look forward too after a long week.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Sort of...It's not unusual for me to get derailed, especially @ the beach: I know there is always something unexpected lurking just around the corner. Some things that work for me:

- Splitting meals
    - order a calorically dense meal w/ a healthy side
    - let hubby order dessert and just have a bite or 2 of of what he orders. Usually it's not what I would have ordered so that works great!

If I know I'm going out for a big meal, I'll usually watch it a bit closer during the day, or make sure that I exercise a bit more.

I also agree about not attaching any sort of "name" to it. Afterall, it should be about lifestyle, and it's just the way that I eat now.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I weigh in on Sundays, if I have lost I will cut myself a little slack, still ok on calories but couldnt give a flying fig on sodium, carbs or sugar...so far so good. If you find it helps to keep you on the straight and narrow go for it but not too madly, no point undoing your weeks hard work by a day of madness
  • 702GRACECITY
    Options
    BUMP
    I use Weight Watchers or Skinny Cow Ice Cream to satisfy those cravings. I don't allow myself a cheat day, but every once in a while I will allow myself small indulgements such as real salad dressing or a little bit of ketchup. That usually works for me. If I allow myself a cheat day it takes away from everything I have worked so hard for. Small little rewards are great though. And they push me to work out harder the next day to get rid of them.

I could not agree more!!! I Work-Out 3-Times a Day/6-Days a Week (Mon-Sat/Rest on Sundays), and even though im NOT Wking-Out on Sunday(s) i STILL make sure i Drink at the VERY LEAST 8-8oz Glasses of Water, take my Vitamins and i still stick to my Diet!!!

For me this is not so much a Diet as a NEW Way of Life, i am Creating a NEW HEALTHIER Me!!!! While im in Diet-Mode, ie; trying to LOOSE Weight, i will stick to my 1200 Calories a Day//7-Days a Week. However once ive Lost all the Weight and move onto Maintence-Mode, i will then Eat 1200 Calories a Day PLUS my Calories i *Earned* *Burned Back* while Wking-Out. Also i will then allow myself a Free Day or 2 ie the Weekend......BUT......again NOT UNTILL i loose ALL the Weight i need to loose.

Its ok say to have a *Cheat Day(s)* once every few months, but once a Week is TOO MUCH, it defeats the purpose of Dieting IMO! For example i started Dieting/Wking-Out Tues 1/25/11 so as of April 25th i will be doing this for a Solid 3-Months, w/NO Breaks or Cheat days.......i will be attending here in Town (Vegas!) the "Women of Faith" Conference Fri 4/29/11 (9am-10pm) & Sat 4/30/11(9am-5pm) ive decided for those 2-Days im going to Eat whatever my Heart/Taste-Buds/Stomach Desires and then on Sun 5/1/11 i will go right back on my Diet and wont Break it again until my Birthday in October!!! Yes i will STILL Enter what i Eat on those Days.......Accountability is KEY, i NEED to be HONEST w/myself.......id only be fooling myself and hurting myself if i DON'T Enter it.......its not like if by not Entering it, it didn't really happen that the Calories wont count lol, i wish thats how it worked but it DOESNT!!!!

Im in this for the Long-Haul, im not looking for a Quick, Over-Night Weight Loss, but i also don't want to take 3 or 4 yrs to loose 133 Pounds either (ive lost 44.6 Pounds so far, 88.4 Pounds to go, PTL!). Again like i said this is not so much a Diet as a NEW Way of Life, i am Creating a NEW HEALTHIER Me!!!! For now i need to be Strong, Patient, & Dedicated, i NEED to not make excuses, i NEED to NOT Cheat.......i will be rewarded for my Sacrifices w/a NEW Healthier Body, w/NEW Found Energy, w/a LONGER Life!!!!

:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: