Feeling Discouraged

Options
I've been on this weight loss plan for a week now and don't see any results. My scales show a 10lb difference from when I weighed in at my doctor's office, but I weighed myself at home 4 days later and I seriously doubt that I have lost 10lbs in four days, I would think my clothes would feel different and I would look like I've lost some. My weight is still showing the 10lb difference today (nothing lost, nothing gained). I've doing a lot better with keeping up with my calories, and I did brisk walking 4 days during the week. I have not drank anything but water and occassionally juice (1 cup). However, I do eat a lot of healthy choice meals and may not be drinking enough water to flush out the sodium. Either way, I'm not doing something right. My endurance is not good yet and I try to push myself and jog a little while I'm doing my walks. So now I've ordered two fitness tapes (30 day Shred and a walking tape-can't remember name). I ordered 3lb weights as well. I'm going to try to increase my exercise, but it's a battle for me because my knees aren't the best not to mention I seem to get dizzy very easily. However, I know the dizzinees will go away once I get my endurance up. I'm just really out of shape. I don't know how I got myself to this point as I've never had weight problems before until about a year and a half ago. I weighed 185 at my doctor's office on 4/8/11. My scales on 4/12/11 and this morning still say 175. I'm 5'9" and my goal weight is 155. Any advice?

Replies

• Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    The best advice? Slow down! You can't expect massive changes in a week... one of the most common things said on this board and one of the truest... it didn't take you a week to put on that weight and it's not going to take you a week to get it off!

By the sounds of it you're making a great start, but try not too do too much at once. It's taken me two years and a lot of frustrations to lose my 50lbs... two years!

You don't actually have a lot of weight to lose, so you should be aiming for roughly 1-2lb weight loss a week, set realistic goals and you'll find it easier to achieve them!

Make little changes...concentrate on getting your diet right and just go for walks for now to start building up your endurance!
    Try not to make this too much of a chore or you'll burn yourself out and are more likely to give up!

Edit: Forgot to add... this is a great site, have a look round, read all the 'stickies' and educate yourself on the smart way to lose weight! There's some wonderful support on these forums and I know they've helped me focus more on getting fit and toned as opposed to chasing a number on a scale! (Also, it took me about 20lbs of loss before I noticed a change in my clothes!)
  • arw3b3
    arw3b3 Posts: 52
    Options
    Don't give up!!!!! I am feeling the same way but all the healthy things we are doing are making a difference whether we are seeing the results or not. You will begin to see the changes soon:)

Good luck! Feel free to add me as a friend for extra support
  • susanliber
    susanliber Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    One week isn't very long. I am very discouraged because it has been 3 months and I haven't lost any more than 14 pounds!! I am being very good with my intake and my exercise. The scale is not my friend. On the plus side, I did get into a pair of jeans that I have not been able to wear in a year. I am feeling stronger and I think I look thinner. But that nasty scale......
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. One week is a drop in the bucket, so you'll either need to relax and gain some patience and perspective, or you'll end up quitting. Quitting shouldn't be an option, so that leaves patience.
  • dlrandolph
    Options
    You're exactly right! I haven't thought of it this way (didn't gain it all in one week). It's just really hard in the beginning because I'm not enjoying anything I eat (I was really into fast foods). I guess I'm feeling what drug addicts feel the first full week of being clean...ready get over the hard part and see the benefits. This is probably why I fail every time I try to get healthier. Thanks for the eye-opener:smile: !
  • Rhonda665
    Rhonda665 Posts: 10
    Options
    The same thing has happened to me. I 've been on here about a week and I have lost 1 pound. But, I can tell a difference in my clothes so I am getting smaller regardless of how much I weigh. Sounds like you are getting in some good exercise so maybe you are building muscle and it is not showing on the scales. Keep in mind that you are also getting healthier! I am sure you will start to see a change on the scales soon. Hang in there!

Just read your second post about the fast food. You are for sure getting healthier and doing your heart as well as your waist a favor!
  • dlrandolph
    Options
    I bought a new digital scale today to get a more realistic weight than what I've been getting on my old scale and it shows I've really lost 5lbs over the past two weeks. I'm very excited about that and hope I can keep it up. Thanks Everyone for your support and encouragement!!!