Thick Greek FF Yogurt in Canada?

Options
mariabee
mariabee Posts: 212 Member
I have heard so many good things about Fage Greek Fat Free Yogurt, but it's not available in Canada and I haven't been able to find it in WA state (only 30 minutes away).

Does anyone in Canada know of a thick Greek yogurt that would be comparable?

I've tried Astro, Danone, Olympic, etc.. and they all get so runny.:drinker:

Cheers!

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's on the west coast, but there's an Ontario-produced one called "Skotidakis" that is very fage like. I haven't seen a 0%, though.
  • kandila_ana
    Options
    DO you have any Trader Joes? They carry it.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Do u have Stonyfield farms Oikos?
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I like Oikos. I've also just tried Dannon greek yogurt and it is pretty good (pleasantly surprised) and thick. They have several flavors...perhaps it may be more common.
  • BarbieCat1
    BarbieCat1 Posts: 82
    Options
    Yoplait and Dannon now offer a Greek yogurt. Also look for Oikos brand.

You are right... even FF, the greek yogurt, Fage [or the others] are terrific !! I use some instead of sour cream... and the thickness is positively luxurious.

Here's a favorite dessert of mine... I take a half cup of fresh berries, crush them with a tsp of Splenda, then top with 6 oz of Fage FF greek yogurt... mix, and you've got something that tastes and feels on the tongue like a fruit compote with heavy whipped cream. Amazing, and only 120 calories! I imagine the mix would be great on top of angel food cake too.
  • mariabee
    Options
    Yoplait and Dannon now offer a Greek yogurt. Also look for Oikos brand.

You are right... even FF, the greek yogurt, Fage [or the others] are terrific !! I use some instead of sour cream... and the thickness is positively luxurious.

Here's a favorite dessert of mine... I take a half cup of fresh berries, crush them with a tsp of Splenda, then top with 6 oz of Fage FF greek yogurt... mix, and you've got something that tastes and feels on the tongue like a fruit compote with heavy whipped cream. Amazing, and only 120 calories! I imagine the mix would be great on top of angel food cake too.
  • mariabee
    Options
    Yummy. Thanks for the suggestions.

I actually replace all sour cream and mayo with plain yogurt, but if I don't strain it for a couple hours, it gets so runny.

I even replace the mayo with yogurt in all my casseroles. But then I just eat twice as much because I know it's not as high fat! LOL.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    A word of caution on the Yoplait "Greek Yogurt" - it uses milk protein concentrates to boost the protein and that is how they are calling it "greek." Milk protein concentrates are supposedly the waste byproducts when dairy is seperated and according to the fda should be tossed, not used in foods. Kraft products use it too.
    This is a pick your battle type of thing...but if you are looking for true greek yogurt, Yoplait's tastes just like their regular brand and the consistency is the same too. Runny.

Have you found Brown Cow or Laura's in Washington? They both make greek yogurt and I believe they are local to the west coast in the US.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Oh and I've made this dish here that uses greek yogurt in the bechamel sauce and it is To. Die. For. delicious!

http://www.almostslowfood.com/2010/04/classic-meals-pastitsio.html
  • YogurtLoversWife
    Options
    Hi there,
    Fage yogurt can be found only in one place in Toronto. It's at Summerhill Market. Here is the site http://www.summerhillmarket.com/
  • harphill
    harphill Posts: 1
    Options
    Fage yogurt is available at Costco stores in Florida and probably lots of other places
  • GinjaNinja1
    GinjaNinja1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I know that costco carries one. I also just saw an ad for President's Choice Greek Yogurt, its new to their line.
  • elisebb
    elisebb Posts: 5
    Options
    Liberte Greek yogurt's thickness is lovely
  • AmandaHammill
    AmandaHammill Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm in Ontario. The best Greek yoghurt is Liberte. a ton of different varieties (0% fat to regular to desert ones...which are sooo good and sooo bad, LOL). I buy it at Fortinos, but it is also available in local health food stores.