Food-Addiction

Options
You know I don't drink much, or smoke, never have...out of fear of addiction. What I didn't realize was that I had become addicted to something just as unhealthy. People laugh at the notion of food addiction, they think it's just over-weight people with no self-control, but when you eat when you are bored, sad, and just to pass the time...very little is it because you are hungry...I would consider that an addiction. When you know the cause of your obesity, and know the very simple solution, yet act as if you're having withdrawls from fast food...then it's an addiction.

Replies

• spaztastic13
    Options
    Agreed i have a food addiction thats why im here. I eat out of boredum sadness stress and just because....learning to control it is something else i need to make an addiction!!!!!!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I was kind of thinking about this the other day, how at work EVERYONE chews, smokes etc. and at 30 I've had one small puff of a cigarette in my entire life and that's it...yet, I will eat candy and other junk every single day. What's the difference? They are both damaging to my health. It's really weird the stuff we justify because it is accepted by society.
  • AnneMK5
    AnneMK5 Posts: 110
    Options
    I have commented on other people's post who are asking others and themselves why it is they can't seem to stay away from sugary and other crappy foods. I started looking into it myself when I saw an article last November about eating disorders and one of them is Compulsive Overeating. Yes, it's a disease! I read a couple books that both explained how sugars/bad carbs act the same in our brains as alcohol does from alcoholics, drugs for drug addicts. Addiction.
    I now realize why I have yo-yo'd for soooo long, why I have felt like I couldn't stay away from cookies, why that urge/need to eat those things would overdrive the common sense that I shouldn't.

I have been attending OA meetings since the end of December. I have been abstinent from sugar/flour/processed foods since then as well. Yes, there were withdrawls. Yes, there are still days when I crave it, crave it so much I seriously want to give in. But I don't because I don't want to be back in the same boat I was before. And I don't want to put the weight back on that I have been melting off with my healthy eating and exercising. I want to continue feeling fantastic!

I don't know if any of my comments to people's post are helping. I can only hope.

So, you are right on the money, we are FOOD ADDICTS.
  • jaxkipi
    jaxkipi Posts: 233
    Options
    I came to this conclusion a few days ago. I am gaining so much weight....and WHY? I started thinking...about the same things that you did...I don't drink and I don't smoke for the same reasons, but I'm addicted to food...and Yes as Anne has said, it is a disease. And it does need to be dealt with physically by exercise and eating right as will as psychologically, thus her group support. There are many online groups that offer help. Some bariatric clinics offer support and guidence without surgery. Hope this helps. Trust me...you're not alone...daily I struggle with not eating a bunch of carbs and ya know what? I fail every day and give in....hence my tremendo weight gain. ;(

Kathy:sad:
  • imperfectlyhere
    Options
    I agree...I have NEVER been addicted to anything and drug/alcholouse runs in my family...I think it would be awful to be so reliant on a product YET Ihave always been a sugar addict! it was not till after kids though my weight was an issue and I realized more and more how I use food to help me and if I have sugar after a period of time it makes me feel like it is a drug!