Dating younger men

Options
millmill89
millmill89 Posts: 17 Member
I'm a college senior age 21 interested in a college freshman age 18. We hit it off pretty well this year and the interest is definitely mutual. I'm graduating in 3 weeks and he has 3 years left of school and then a commitment to the army for some time after. Opinions, advice or stories of similar experiences would be so helpful. Thanks!!!

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    There are so many things left unsaid to give sound advice. Why should it matter if you are graduating and he isn't? If you are both going to be in the same area for a while, you don't need to break it off if you don't want to. Commitment to the army is also vague, does this mean he'll be shipped off somewhere else or still be in the same area? Does he even know?
  • Nelle914
    Nelle914 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Its only 3 years. If you like each other, go for it. :D
  • mrsanne
    mrsanne Posts: 19
    Options
    my husband of 20 odd years is 5 years younger, we met when he was 18. stranger things have happened. if you are still interested when he graduates, go for it!
  • watermelonstarfish
    watermelonstarfish Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If hes going regular duty after school (i assume doing the officer thing) then by then you should know if you're ready to commit because that involves traveling
    21 and 18 is not a big difference IMO. My man is 7 years younger than me. I'm not an alpha female but due to the age difference I def wear the pants.
  • millmill89
    Options
    Sorry I wasnt clear with the details. But no we are not going to be in the area. I'm moving back to my home town after graduation which is about 7 hours away from the campus. That is also a concern. I wouldnt mind doing a long distance thing and seeing each other on breaks though. As far as the army thing I'm not really sure about the details on that.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Youre young! ENJOY IT! You DONT have to find Mr. Marriage right now! (I say this at 23 but I also have a 2 year old due to a failed engagement at 20)
  • sing1998
    sing1998 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    maybe you should ask about this on a dating or relationship site, rather than a diet/fitness site?
  • hroush
    Options
    Long distance can be difficult, but I think it depends on the people. My wife (then girlfriend) did long distance for a semester because I moved on to grad school and she was finishing up her Bachelors. It wasn't difficult for me as I am more of a loner, but it was torturous for her as she is more social (trying not to say clingy). You can try it and see how it goes, but if you see it going south, try to end it on friendly terms as I have a feeling you two would still be great friends.
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    If your feelings arent that strong for eachother then id save yourself alot of trouble. Long distance can tear two of the most amazing people apart...i would know.
  • hroush
    Options
    maybe you should ask about this on a dating or relationship site, rather than a diet/fitness site?

What are they going to tell her that we aren't? Also, she posted this in chit-chat, which is supposed to be used as non-diet/fitness related items.
  • 1980carrie
    Options
    my fiance is 4yrs younger than me and weve been together 9yrs now. i too wasnt sure at first but we got on so well that i thought i deserved to at least give it a go. whats the worst that could happen? it doesnt work out? then at least you know. my gran always said never regret the things you have done, regret the things you havent! good luck with your toyboy! im still in love with mine! xx
  • millmill89
    Options

What are they going to tell her that we aren't? Also, she posted this in chit-chat, which is supposed to be used as non-diet/fitness related items.

Agreed!!
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I'm currently dating a guy younge than myself. I'm 23, and he's 19. We started dating his senior year, and now we go to community college together. He's way responsible, and such a sweetheart. I think it's all in preferrence and how you to feel about eachother!
    Not every younger guy is immature! :D
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I dont think I have ever dated someone younger than me,everyone was always 6 to 11 years older lol
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    If you get along then great, see where it goes. Long distance relationships, especially those in the military can be really tough on a couple. Just do what you feel is right for you guys.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    How about a thread of ladies that want to date older men too? :embarassed:
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    My husband is four years older than me. I was 17 when we started dating. Of course it was a month before my 18th birthday. :laugh:
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    How about a thread of ladies that want to date older men too? :embarassed:

Sign me up! It's the norm for me..

But for the poster of this thread.. you're both so young, take it easy and have fun and enjoy each other. There will be plenty of time for heavy relationship stuff when you're older! ;)
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    ive always gone for younger men although i have dated a few guys older than me (never more than four years either way)
    that rumor that younger guys are more immature is totally false. younger guys will work hard to prove they are mature if they really care about you.

honestly, and i may be stepping on a few toes here and im only speaking from personal experience but in MY opinion~

an older man will never treat you as good as a younger man

im sure there are exceptions but i havent experienced them

my husband is 21 and im 24
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Why not give it a shot and see what happens? You're young, and you can always break it off it it starts going in a direction you don't like. Good luck!