Do I really NEED a jogging stroller?

Options
annie_p
annie_p Posts: 319 Member
I really want to get into running. The only problem is...my son. I can't get up early enough to go before my husband leaves for work, so I would have to take my little man with me. I don't really have the money to buy a jogging stroller...but I got to thinking...do I really need one? We live on a dirt road, but I've taken his stroller out many, many times on walks, and it worked fine. Anyone had any luck jogging with a regular stroller or should I just save my pennies and get one?

Replies

• Fineraziel
    Fineraziel Posts: 140
    Options
    Try it with your stroller and you will have your answer. :)
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Try it with your stroller and you will have your answer. :)

LOL very true...minus the fact that we got 1/2 a foot of snow so won't be able to try for a while again.
  • mmellor
    mmellor Posts: 146
    Options
    It depends on the wheels that are on your stroller...the problem with traditional stroller wheels is they are not consistent and can turn and wobble without notice...that could cause the stroller to stop and you to run into the stroller...that could hurt?? However like said above you could always try a slow run and see how it goes. Good Luck!
  • CurriedGrasshopper
    CurriedGrasshopper Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I got my baby jogger city (can have swivel wheel for strolling or lock for running) back in '07. Last year I used it for every run except perhaps 2 or 3 where I got out alone.

The difference in pushing a regular stroller with its boxy shape, 4 small wheels VS a 3 large wheeled, front wheel locked jogging stroller is HUGE. Running pushing a stroller is always going to be harder, but doing it with an improper stroller sounds awful. I love mine, and it was worth every penny.

But if you're in a budget crunch, check the buy/swap boards for your town, check craigslist etc, surely you can find a used jogging stroller for much cheaper?
  • sherip22
    sherip22 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've tried running with a regular stroller and it didn't work well. The wheels shake back and forth really bad and it just doesn't feel right. The jogger I got was not that expensive. I think I paid right around $100 for it.
  • HannahPastoor
    Options
    Check Freecycle.com its a board for your city that instead of throwing things away they give them away for free. Its like a group. You can ask for things and put things up : )
  • Innerglow
    Innerglow Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I find that my stroller works on jogs for now, but it is kinda wobbly and i'm sure more uncomfortable for our children. I would check resale shops and/or craigslist for jogging strollers...I believe the cheapest i've found is about $100. Not that big of an investment when it comes to our health! Good luck!