completely off subject (sorry)

Options
I have a little furry problem.:grumble: It has gotten very cold very fast and we have some mice that have made my house their home. :grumble: :explode: My son did not want to kill them but i had to catch them. Well i used glue paper. The mouse sticks to it until you take it off. We caught 2 and put them in a bucket. Problem is i dont know what to do with them now. Any suggestions?
Soryy i know this is gross and i feel like a horrible house keeper. But my house is clean and i have been reasured that they are here because it is so cold outside.
Thanks

Replies

• bricker06
    Options
    I have a little furry problem.:grumble: It has gotten very cold very fast and we have some mice that have made my house their home. :grumble: :explode: My son did not want to kill them but i had to catch them. Well i used glue paper. The mouse sticks to it until you take it off. We caught 2 and put them in a bucket. Problem is i dont know what to do with them now. Any suggestions?
    Soryy i know this is gross and i feel like a horrible house keeper. But my house is clean and i have been reasured that they are here because it is so cold outside.
    Thanks
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    put them outside, that is where they came from. Your house just seemed cozier and was available. I sometimes get them too, they will come in through an open window in the fall (I think, or want to beleive) but they can look after themselves outside and will find another place to build a home.
  • BEFORE
    BEFORE Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I would drive far away from your house and then release them. Dont worry dirt does not attract mice, warm places do. Unfortunately until you find how they got in, they will keep showing up. Its winter and they want in. Peanut Butter is great bait to catch them with, cheese they can just grab and go.
  • Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I am with everyone else...drive as far away and then let the lil critters go. maybe find an abandoned building or something so they will be warm still...just not at your house lol.
    I'm no Cinderella...I can't dress them up and give them cute names like "GusGus" lol
  • MollySue30
    MollySue30 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I would say if you have woods some where around your area then I would drive them to that area and drop them off. We had the same problem in our garage when it got cold they ate right through our dry wall and made a total mess. That is what we did we gatherd them all up even the babies that they had and drove them to a park and set them free.

Good Luck.

Molly
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to be a meanie, but you should set traps for them. The glue paper is all fine and good but they will keep coming back. Anyway, releasing them outside will kill them anyway if they can't get back in to where it's warm. I know its sad for kids... maybe you could fib to him? We get mice here every fall. Luckily one of our cats is quite the little mouser. We also set traps and while I am a huge animal lover, I love to see those traps full! Mice are very very dirty and they poop everywhere :sick: Release the ones you have caught if you want, but if I were you I'd set real traps in the future :flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I would drive far away from your house and then release them. Dont worry dirt does not attract mice, warm places do. Unfortunately until you find how they got in, they will keep showing up. Its winter and they want in. Peanut Butter is great bait to catch them with, cheese they can just grab and go.

Maple syrup or peanut butter work great too, and we use bits of snickers bars in our traps. Our mice love them.
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Get a cat lol!!! Unless you have one like mine who doesn't catch them until they are already in the trap!! We always seem to get a few right as it starts to turn cold then not again for the rest of the year. And don't worry, has nothing to do with your housekeeping!!
  • Janie0001
    Janie0001 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to be a meanie, but you should set traps for them. The glue paper is all fine and good but they will keep coming back. Anyway, releasing them outside will kill them anyway if they can't get back in to where it's warm. I know its sad for kids... maybe you could fib to him? We get mice here every fall. Luckily one of our cats is quite the little mouser. We also set traps and while I am a huge animal lover, I love to see those traps full! Mice are very very dirty and they poop everywhere :sick: Release the ones you have caught if you want, but if I were you I'd set real traps in the future :flowerforyou:

I totally agree. :wink:
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I would let them loose if I were you. Like the others had said, take them somewhere else, and let them go. I like the idea of finding an abandoned building for them...lol but that might be difficult depending on where u live. Good luck to you, I hope you catch them all!
    :heart: Lauren
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    my DH is a commercial pest control. if they are stuck to a glue trap how can you get them off without hurting them? i am thinking of the ones my DH has, they die on those things. a mouse/rat can get through any opening that is the diameter of their little heads. their bodies collape down to get through. they also chew through anything. he uses slim jims on his traps. that works the best around here. any holes around pipes that can't be sealed use steel wool. they don't like chewing on that stuff.
    good luck.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    If you let them loose they will just come back in. You have a hole somewhere that they are getting in. You need to get some of that foam in a can that you spray into the cracks in the foundation of the house to seal it up. The stuff spreads and will fill the hole. Then we use those glue traps and just toss them in the trash when we catch them. They can't get off the glue traps and it has stuff on it to deaden any pain the mouse may go through. I actually think the snapping trap is more humaine, but we seem to have smart mice that can set them off and not get trapped. Don't feel bad about killing a few mice. We have removed some of there natural preditors, so it is your job to help keep their population in check.
  • bricker06
    Options
    My son is 16 no foolin him. My mom also said to take them to a field or out in the country they will probably find a barn. I guess thats what ill have to do.
    Thanks to you all.
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    get a cat,
    sure a few here and there will die,
    but they will disappear after a few weeks
  • Newman4AU
    Options
    Very interesting topic, one on which I am sure I will be in the vast minority opinion.
    1st - mice are pests/vermin and should be disposed (killed) in the most humane way possible, but still killed. Mice and rats are a common carrier of disease, and removing them from the house does not solve the problem, it just moves the problem.
    2nd - while everone posting that you need to take the mice far away and let them go believe that they are being "nice" to the mice, the opposite is actually true. Capturing, handling, moving the mice creates stress on the animal, as well as the mice are being left in a harsh environment with no food source (remember, they left that environment because they could not surrive outdoors). So it is my opinion that killing the mice quickly and reletively pain free (spring traps are instantaneous) is the most humane thing, and the best solution.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Not mice at our house, but squirrels! We pulled our box of winter stuff (boots and hats, etc) in from the garage, and every pair of boots had been filled to the brim with dog food that the squirrel stole out of the bags in our garage all summer. He had quite the stash! Probably thought he had hit the big time, with soft fuzzy hats to sleep in and food stored in the same box :laugh:
  • mellymlk
    mellymlk Posts: 187
    Options
    I'd take them to a field and let them loose.
  • mellymlk
    Options
    Not mice at our house, but squirrels! We pulled our box of winter stuff (boots and hats, etc) in from the garage, and every pair of boots had been filled to the brim with dog food that the squirrel stole out of the bags in our garage all summer. He had quite the stash! Probably thought he had hit the big time, with soft fuzzy hats to sleep in and food stored in the same box :laugh:

awww that's so cute. I love squirrels
  • mellymlk
    Options
    I say just get a cat
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    My son is 16 no foolin him. My mom also said to take them to a field or out in the country they will probably find a barn. I guess thats what ill have to do.
    Thanks to you all.

If you have them on glue paper, they're going to starve to death. If you try to pull them off, you will either remove their feet or disembowel them, neither of which is any fun for anyone. The ones that are on the glue paper just need to be put somewhere that won't attract insects when they die. From now on, if you want to release them somewhere, you need to set live, humane traps. If you want them dead, you need to use the ones that will break their necks. An exterminator can come in and set either of those for you.

The best thing you can do is prevention. Even if your house is clean, there may be little crumbs around from people eating in other rooms, and even if there aren't crumbs, if there are holes in the wall they will nest simply because it's warm.