Anyone ladies lose weight during their TOM?

Options
I keep reading all the posts about gaining weight during TOM. But for first three weeks on here I lost 2 pounds. Tom started Friday and I weighed in at 2 pounds lighter (I weigh everyday.) So been expecting to gain but today, Sunday, down another 1.8?!
Is this possible, am I a freak? Lol. Will I do the reverse and gain it all back when its over? Seems unreal I would lose over 4 pounds in last few days!

Edit: Whoops, meant topic to read "Any ladies"..not Anyone ladies, duh.

Replies

• Tabs_A
    Tabs_A Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I lose weight during my TOM as well! I don't think I have ever gained during it since joining here.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't and have gained a tiny bit on a couple of occasions (less than a lb)...the loss the week following TOTM is always greater tho whether or not I lost, gained or stayed the same. I guess it all depends on how much water you retain during that time, I'm a massive retainer at the best of times so when I do actually get a loss during the run up to TOTM I know I've had a really good week!
  • slimrb2011
    slimrb2011 Posts: 122
    Options
    I have been losing during TOM the last two months which is when I joined MFP. I really watch my sodium intake that week (and the week before) and stick to my workouts and diet and the scale has continued to move in the right direction!
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Ladies... we shouldn't freak if we gain during TOM... It's all water weight!

As to the question... it's perfectly possible to actually lose during this time. And safe!

Good luck!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i lose
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I lose during mine and gain the week before. plus i get full of energy the week before. I think it is all in individuals body.
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I usually lose weight when TOM is in town, If I do gain it is only water weight that will go down when TOM leaves.
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I usually lose a lot of weight right when TOM is over. I gain before that because my hormones are out of whack and I tend to eat like a maniac because of it :/
  • BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    I always lose during my TOM. I have found that I will gain if I dont drink a lot of water...Just keep the water flowing!
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    I gave myself a little prep talk before I stepped in the scale yesterday about how if I gained during my TOM I shouldn't get discouraged, but I lost a pound! I was super excited. I guess it's just different for everyone. I might have lost more, but I overindulged a bit on some pizza.
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    it depends for me... if i watch what i eat, and how much i drink i can lose weight during my TOM.
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    The only positive part about our TOM is that it slightly boosts our metabolism. So if you work your butt off during that time and watch what you eat, you should be able to lose weight. I still usually gain about 1-2lbs in water weight, but there's a pretty nice drop about a week after it ends.
  • jennbaby23
    Options
    i try not to weight when Tom comes for his visits, i just feel to bloated. I guess i will test the theory and see what the scale says. I know i will prob end up discouraged but who know i may be surprised.
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    I just lost today during TOM! I just up my water intake even more. And I make sure to get 2 really good sweat inducing workouts in that week. It helps with cramps and water retention. :)
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh because you do retain water. Any weight gain isn't "real" though. I think a lot of it is psychological. (Not all because I know people do really have PMDD and what not) I usually suck it up, take some ibuprofen if I have cramps, and go to the gym anyways.
  • lesliekae
    lesliekae Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    There is some research that supports that a woman's metabolism may increase during ovulation. It gets mixed reviews from the experts but I think there may be some validity to it. I also tend to lose a pound or so if not during just after my period. My friend just lost two during her TOM so it is certainly possible. Because of swelling in my hands and feet I even felt as if I was retaining fluid at the time I weighed myself and discover I was almost 2 pounds lighter. I was expecting to see a gain when I got on the scale too. The only reason I actually got on the scale was to get an idea of how much fluid I might be retaining. You can google the metabolism thing but you will get mixed responses. I think I recently overheard it being discussed on Dr. Oz or one of those doctor shows. I didn't have time to watch it but I'm pretty sure I overheard this topic. It should be true just because we deserve some benefit for our week long misery :(
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Depends from month to month. I lost this month.
  • AutumnisBSB
    AutumnisBSB Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I also can lose during TOM.
  • namrettik
    namrettik Posts: 127
    Options
    I don't gain during TOM, my weight just stays put for the first couple days. Towards the middle and end, my weight plummets to where it would've been if I didn't stall.
  • julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I feel better...