calorie intake

Msaip
Msaip Posts: 482 Member
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
When it comes to my calorie intake it requests 1200 daily. Now after i put in my workout it says ive earned so many calories extra for that day. does that really mean i get that many extra calories? if not im under the 1200 limit everday

Replies

• yep you really get extra calories. eat 'em up! it helps lots of people lose weight faster if they eat their exercise calories (it makes sure that your body isn't malnourished so you don't go into starvation mode). it's also great motivation to exercise more!
  • pjrisher
    pjrisher Posts: 152
    It's the same thing for me. It gave me an extra 900 calories (to my 1200/day plan) yesterday. I definitely don't want to eat everything I've burned off though. I feel like it shouldn't give you back 100% of what you burned.
  • bwesser
    bwesser Posts: 61
    As long as your NET intake is 1200, your body needs those calories. If you feel too full to keep eating, then being under a little bit is ok. You just have to make sure that on a weekly basis, you are burning more calories than you take in. Congrats for staying focused and exercising enough to ask! :)
  • Msaip
    Well I can't lie that does make me pretty happy! how do you burn 900 calories a day? I need something that burns more calories but still doesnt take an hr. I have a two year old and its not easy even getting twenty minutes in :) Thanks alot though that really clears things up for me!
  • silly question but the heavier you are ...the more calories you require? some people have 1200 and others like me are higher?
  • The 1200 a day is the intake that is >> less than<< you burn just doing your daily things. So it is already set for you to lose weight. It may not be required to eat back all you burn off in additional exercise, but it is also a good idea to eat some of it back. As already mentioned, if you don't eat enough back, you will hit starvation mode, and your weight loss will hit a slump/plateau.

The REAL bonus to the exercise is that your sitting metabolism becomes higher (more muscle equals = more calorie burn). So where you may have a deficit of 800 calories a day now (assuming 2000 calories a day to stay at same weight, and you are only eating 1200 of those), in a short time, that deficit will increase as your muscle mass increases.

Given all of that -- you are safe to eat up 100% of your exercise calories, and may >> need << to do so as you progress :)
  • pjrisher
    pjrisher Posts: 152
    Msalp, 900 calories burned was the result of a looong day on top of my elliptical and strength training workout. I worked a huge event and marked 2 hours of 'leisure walking.' Under an hour is really tough. I have days that I can't dedicate that much time (or energy!) to my workout. The elliptical helps a lot because you can add a lot of resistance and incline. I prefer jog/walking outside though.
    Charding40, I think that your net calorie intake does depend on your weight and daily lifestyle. That's not a silly question!
  • Msaip
    Thanks for agreeing with me! Yea I want an elliptical again but have no space at all! im stuck with doing videos and running outside when someone can watch my little one. Hopefully in the next year I can get one! I used to crank out an hour and a half everyday before I got married! Thank you! Its nice to see people actually respond to viewers questions!
  • Msalp, 900 calories burned was the result of a looong day on top of my elliptical and strength training workout. I worked a huge event and marked 2 hours of 'leisure walking.' Under an hour is really tough. I have days that I can't dedicate that much time (or energy!) to my workout. The elliptical helps a lot because you can add a lot of resistance and incline. I prefer jog/walking outside though.
    Charding40, I think that your net calorie intake does depend on your weight and daily lifestyle. That's not a silly question!
    [/quote

THANKS HON!!
This discussion has been closed.