question about Polar Heart rate monitor

Options
Hi everyone. I'm looking into getting a heart rate monitor that will also keep track of calories burned. From my research so far, I'm leaning towards the Polar FT40. I was wondering if anyone here has one and likes it, or knows anything about them. Thanks!

Replies

• LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have an F4, have had it for 5 years and love it. I have had no problems with it and it does everything I need it to for now.
  • blueeyedtraveler
    blueeyedtraveler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    The majority of the girls in my Zumba classes have the FT4. They all love it!
  • Isaiahsmommy329
    Options
    I have the Polar F6 with chest strap. I LOVE mine. I bough tit used from a friend for $40.
  • dodoodoodo
    dodoodoodo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i have the women's F7 because it was decent priced (80ish) on amazon. i like it a lot. haven't had any problems with it so far. but polar and garmin are supposed to be the best brands so you should be happy with your choice!
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I :heart: my FT4
  • lotty1987
    lotty1987 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    i have the ft40 - it is fantastic so easy to set up ! so accurate makes you work out more and harder to burn more x i wear mine while swimming too its fun x
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    I've used Polar HRMs for years. I've also used a Garmin. Both are pretty good, but Polar HRMs are better for indoor use and I've found that Polar's calorie calculation seems to be a little bit better than Garmin's or Suunto's. The FT40 is a pretty good model. The only thing I recommend doing if you get a Polar is to hand-wash the HR strap and make sure not to get the contacts wet. I've found that repeated washings in the laundry machine will corrode the contacts after a few months and you'll get erratic HR readings and eventually the strap won't work.
  • Michelemybelle
    Michelemybelle Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! These things cost so much, I didn't want to take a chance and buy one without other opinions. For the price, I think I'm going to go with the FT40. Mother's Day is coming! :wink:
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 and love it. Easy to setup and easy to use. I always wash mine by hand even though it does say you can put them in a lingerie bag and toss in the machine. Make sure you wet the contacts before using or it won't register correctly with the receiver.

It has a chest strap, watch band that allows you to track time, calories, or HR while exercising. It syncs seamlessly with equipment that has HR monitors built in and as others have said, you can use it to swim (although the chlorine might affect the contacts eventually)