Protein drink is KILLING me!!

Options
AdoraK
AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
Over a month ago I purchase the optimum gold cookies and cream protein drink for when I started P90X. I make it with skim milk and a banana. I have been using it after each time I work out for the past month but lately I am having a problem with it. After I drink it, it cramps up my stomach and makes me want to vomit. The cramping is really painful. I am going to stop doing the drink. Is there anyone else that has had this issue or knows why this is happening? It’s a bummer because I really love the drink.

Replies

• audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Never used it. However, I do have a couple questions for you. Do you drink it immediately AFTER your workout? And if yes, do you drink it relatively quickly?
  • bkhorton
    bkhorton Posts: 8
    Options
    are you lactose intolerant? i think most protein drinks are derived from dairy which maybe why you are cramping. try to find a protein mix not derived from dairy. i think arbonne has a pea protein mix so it doesn't give you gas. hope it helps
  • blueeyedtraveler
    blueeyedtraveler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking? Most of the protein shakes have a lot of fiber in them and if you aren't drinking enough water, you can get cramping. That's my only suggestion.
  • AdoraK
    Options
    Never used it. However, I do have a couple questions for you. Do you drink it immediately AFTER your workout? And if yes, do you drink it relatively quickly?

I usually make it about 15-30 minutes after I work out. And no I do not drink it down fast. It took me an hour today to drink it.
  • Walt75
    Walt75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    This is interesting considering I use ON vanilla ice cream all the time. Never had this problem
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Same question - how much water are you drinking? Any processed proteins can't be handled by the stomach when you're dehydrated.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    If you're mixing it with milk, try using yogurt instead. If it's a lactose issue, this should help since the lactose is consumed in the fermentation process (of course not as completely as if you made it at home as most are only incubated for 4 hours)

Check the sweeteners in it - you could have built up a store of them in your body which is why in the beginning you didn't notice it but now, you're adding fuel to an existing fire and it could be just enough to trigger symptoms.

Do you have problems with other dairy products? If not, it's probably not the lactose. Fiber could be an issue -again, consume sufficient water every day. Maybe wait 15-30 minutes after your work out and don't down it like a cold beer. Consider it a meal. Savor every mouthful and make it last at least 15 minutes. You could be rushing energy to your stomach when you're body is in emergency mode trying to recover from your workout.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with my protein drink, although it was soy based. People told me soy is trickier to gest, BUT I can't dring whey based formulas either.........Maybe you can use a soy based formula?

Or maybe there are some reputible veggie based protein drinks out their......

Don't know if this is a no-no but.....lots of water sipped slowly while nibbling a protein bar????? (just brainstorming!)

good luck :heart:
  • thatnixonkid
    Options
    perhaps youve built a food intolerance to the whey.
  • AdoraK
    Options
    I usually drink at least 10 cups of water a day. I am not lactose intolerant either.
    Thanks for all the responses.
  • MoonGurl1985
    Options
    My question to you is are you lactose intolerant ? if so using the milk is not a good idea, switch to almond milk, soy, coconut, etc.....
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    It could be the banana you're mixing with it. My sister and brother are both allergic to bananas and they get horrible stomach aches if they eat them. Do you always mix one in? Maybe try mixing in some berries or something instead and see if that helps?
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    There was a thread a while back with a few people saying they were having issues with bananas. You could try eliminating the banana and see what happens. If that's not it then try switching out the milk for almond or soy milk and seeing how that goes. Our bodies can be funny sometimes, they just randomly react to something that has never bothered us before. I suddenly developed an intolerance to avacardos, which I've always loved. Lately some nuts are bothering my stomach off and on. It's no fun developing an intolerence to something you love to eat, I miss my avacados.:sad: So maybe if you keep changing up 1 thing at a time you may find out what's bothering you. Good luck!
  • MoonGurl1985
    Options
    Seen where you say you aren't lactose intolerant, I never was either until about 3 years ago or so. The symptoms you have are just one of being lactose intolerant.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    It could be the banana you put in it. A lot of people have stomach cramps from bananas. Its caused by the potassium.
  • spatticus
    spatticus Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Try more water right after your workout!
  • Antigone
    Antigone Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    There is actually a P90X recovery drink that Beachbody sales that is SO GOOD. It was designed to have right after the workout and is just the right balance of carbs/protein that your body needs to aid recovery and prevent sore muscles. I can tell the difference when I work out and DO drink it and when when I DON'T.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/supplements/p90x_peak_performance/p90x_peak_recovery_formula.do
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I usually drink at least 10 cups of water a day. I am not lactose intolerant either.
    Thanks for all the responses.
    Do you know that for sure? It could be a dairy sensitivity. I had that, and only a naturopathic doctor figured it out for me. Do you get the same reaction with other foods? Sensitivities can take years to notice, but sometimes certain foods will do it for ya.
  • vanfox23
    vanfox23 Posts: 110
    Options
    I've been doing P90X since January and I never drink a protein/recovery drink. I make sure that I get the right ratios of carbs/fat/protein from the foods I eat. I've never had a problem with being overly sore or worn out. Maybe just eliminate the protein drink altogether? Up to you....but I had a similar problem with ground flax seed. Had awful stomach cramps. Had to quit using it for a while. Good luck to you!
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    There is actually a P90X recovery drink that Beachbody sales that is SO GOOD. It was designed to have right after the workout and is just the right balance of carbs/protein that your body needs to aid recovery and prevent sore muscles. I can tell the difference when I work out and DO drink it and when when I DON'T.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/supplements/p90x_peak_performance/p90x_peak_recovery_formula.do

wow that stuff is expensive. stick to the protein shake. try mixing it with water instead of milk. it's an acquired taste though.