Thinking of joining weight watchers...

Options
What are your thoughts on weight watchers? I think weighing in at a place would help me stay on track. i

'm always good for like a month and then i start craving bad foods. i have a major issue with sweets and carbs. i would probably lose 50 lbs if i gave up sugar/carbs but i know that is never going to happen. and i know i'm making bad choices even when dieting. i exercise extra so i can have dessert every night.

I need to find fulfulling recipes and foods that don't seem like diet foods. Do you think trying out weight watchers could help me with this? Tell me positives and negatives :) The only thing that turns me off is I know I'm going to have to weigh all my foods and measure everything.

Replies

• BodyUnderConstruction
    Options
    I know a lot of people who have a lot of success on weight watchers. Never hurts to try anything!
  • natashaclasby
    Options
    i would recommend ww purely on a food education thing!! i didnt realise how bad things like sausage rolls and baguettes and dressings etc were until i saw how many points it took from my day! it kinda readjusted my way of looking at these things, as i realised i was wasting so many points on crap food!! so yeh id recommend it :) con though is weighing all the foods down to the gram which can make a huge difference.. :( but you look like youre doing really well, 13lbs is great going :)
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    You have tools on this site that, in my opinion, are as good or better than joining WW - without having to pay the big $'s. If you are dieting, you should be weighing and measuring your food anyway. Why spend the extra money - you can hold you accountable.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    From what I've been told, it's the best weight loss group. I've done LA Weight Loss and I loved it. I did have to measure a bunch of stuff, but it was well worth it when I lost sixty pounds. I'm attempting to do that again without their bars and it's harder. The only thing is, don't get roped into buying any of their foods. I think it's nice to have a guideline on what you can eat and what's a better option, but it's costly.

A lady I used to be close to has done three groups and said WW was her favorite. It was realistic.
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I started WW back in February, but I did it on my own without going to meetings so I just bought the books and calculator. Needless to say, I lost about 7 pounds in two months but I stopped recently because I realized it wasn't healthy once I started tracking calories along with it. I would make my points for the day but only reach about 900 calories. WAY TOO LOW. So my body stopped losing weight so I switched to MFP. I am getting better results and feel less confined by points.

This is just my personal opinion. It does work really well for A LOT of people I know. Maybe try it and see how it goes from there?
  • slapshotgolf
    slapshotgolf Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You have tools on this site that, in my opinion, are as good or better than joining WW - without having to pay the big $'s. If you are dieting, you should be weighing and measuring your food anyway. Why spend the extra money - you can hold you accountable.

Absolutely agree - I have fallen off the wagon more times because of "not making weight" on weigh-in days - when you have a bad week, you don't want to show up, or you tell yourself "I'll be better this week", and when you're not, next thing you know, you've slid too far back, and you quit. While the friends on this site are great to encourage you, support you, and keep you accountable, there is still some comfort in the anonymity that goes with not having to weigh yourself in in front of a group of people (even if its just one).
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    why pay the money to join...you can do everything like you were in weight watchers without having to join. it's better to be weighing your foods anyways, that is the only way to know for sure how much you are consuming. and if you want recipes, lots of recipes on here, as well as other great sites, and you could even consider a WW cookbook. i have one, and i love the stuff i have tried.

and nothing wrong with exercising so you can have dessert :P

honestly, being on here and keeping a diary is exactly the same as being on WW, and your weigh in-s post on your feed, so it's like weighing in in front of people...lol. but, if paying money for it might help you stay on track, then go for it. that would be the only reason i would say try it.
  • goldysgal
    goldysgal Posts: 23
    Options
    Weight Watchers is a VERY good program. They also have some amazing cook books... I used it several years ago and it worked fantastic, I just can't afford any program right now because I am unemployed. Good Luck !!
  • Muffin81
    Muffin81 Posts: 5
    Options
    I did Weight Watchers a couple of years ago after I had my second son. I loved it! I loved the accountability aspect of going and weighing in each week. I also loved the support and recognition. If you lost weight, even if it was less than a pound, you were recognized for it. Also, I like that while doing WW I learned how to make better food choices. I learned that I could still eat sweet stuff, but was able to find healthier versions of it. Plus, I could still feed my Starbucks addiction, I just had to work the points in to my daily point limit. I didn't feel like I was on a diet, just making a life style change. I still make recipes from my WW cookbooks because they are fast, easy, good for me, and delicious - my family likes it! While with WW I lost 25lbs. Now, I'm just working on toning up. Anyway, if you need accountability and like recognition and support, I highly recommend it. :-) Hope this helps.
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I did it in high school. lost around 60lbs in like 6-8 months. However, once i went off of it and went to college, i gained it all back. It may seem easier than tracking your calories but i found it hard to maintain my weight. It felt like I had to live the rest of my life ON weightwatchers.

If you need a kick in the butt to get you focused, I'd recommend doing it but then going back and using MFP.
  • MelissaG36
    Options
    As a former WW member for years, I went back but I truely do not like the new program at all! I love this site cause it is basically the same thing but instead of points your counting calories & its free. I weigh & measure all my food on here. And they have a recipe builder so really its no differnt than etools. The new program with WW they basically they dont want you to eat any carbs at all, which is not healthy. Used to in WW you got your points value by Calories, fat & fiber, which the more fiber you ate it cancelled out the calories & made it low in points. Now you go by calories, fat, carbs & protien & nothing cancells anything out anymore. I did it about a month & didnt lose. Usually your first week your going to have a big loss but I lost like 1.8, wasnt happy at all. Now I have done WW in the past after my 2nd child was born, I lost 71.4 in 7 months was almost to goal & got preggers with the 3rd.
    Im not saying anything bad about WW, I loved being a member. I just like the new program at all & dont know why they keep changing, If its not broke, dont fix it.
    As for healthy recipes, you can find them all over. I still have a subscriptiong to the WW magazine for recipes. Also I love Allrecipes.com & basically have learned to take my favorites & make a lighter version of them

So basically its up to you, I think this site is alot easier, theres alot more support & Its cheaper :O)
  • dodoodoodo
    dodoodoodo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    thank you so much everyone. lots to think about!! but i think i will end up joining because i think it will help with my accountability and helping to figure out how much to eat since i think i always have waaaaaaay too much food