what will happen if i dont increase my calories??

Options
After logging on all my bits that i have ate throughout the day mfp food diary is telling me that if i dont consume more calories i might not lose weight at all, ( Or something along those lines).
The thing is i feel full after i eat, and i dont see the point to eat more when im not hungry!
my food diary is public, does any one have any tips on how i can increase it? Thanks

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Can you incorporate some snacks throughout the day? Maybe just try to eat a little bit more with a meal you know is low in calories?
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    The first thing I see is that you need to ea much more protein! Dairy, fish or meat, lentils, an beans are all good sources of protein. I strongly suggest adding some of those foods!!
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Add salad dressing to your salads, have something with your fruit for lunch.
    I'm not sure what will happen if you don't meet your calorie goal. I'm at a net of just over 300 calories for the day. I'll be checking back to see what people say :)

good luck
  • ari_27
    ari_27 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I definitely think you should be eating more than just fruits for lunch. Don't get me wrong, fruits are great for you and you can have them maybe as a side or dessert, but you're majorly lacking protein in that category. Maybe opt for some grilled chicken or some other sort of protein with veggies for lunch, that ought to increase the calories some and then eat fruit after. Your body will feel healthy and rightfully full
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Holy crap how are you surviving? I didn't get far in your diary but if it is accurate you NEED to eat more! I looked at April 15th you consumed 647calories and burned 523 which left your body with 124calories to function on. I am guessing your BMR is MUCH higher then that.

Off to find the ever important link on calorie comsumption!

Here is a great link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions
  • Famzav8
    Famzav8 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am seeing a doctor to help guide me with my weight loss, and have been food journaling, etc. My doc told me that if I am not eating enough calories, that you will slow down your metabolism, and what you do lose will likely be muscle mass. Her recommendation ( I had the same problem) was not to necessarily eat more, but to add in some healthy fats that would help fill out the calories. For example put avacado on your sandwich, or add some cashews onto your salad, etc. Hope this helps!
  • nancy9801
    nancy9801 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think you should increase what you are eating for lunch. I just looked at the one day, but you had only fruit. I think you need some protein/fibre with that meal. Maybe some olive oil on your salad at dinner. I do believe that if you go so low, you will slow your metabolism down.
  • misrical
    misrical Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you eat too few calories your body will start turning everything you eat to fat...and eat your muscle to stay alive.
    you can grab a extra 200 calories just eating a 2 TBSP of peanut butter...an ounce of Almonds will give ya 160 calories.
    there are lots of small intake items that will jack up your calorie count.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    your weight loss will suffer eventually. it takes 3500 calorie deficit to lose 1lb...but if you are seriously under calories you could find it takes 4000...5000... calorie deficit to lose that lb and it takes a while for your metabolism to recover so if you suddenly start eating your allotted calories you will gain quite a bit at first until its back up to normal levels. If you are struggling then i'd suggest a handful of nuts as a snack (almonds are very good!) Peanut butter is another one
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Easy ways to increase your calories are high-calorie but good for you foods like nuts, peanut butter, avocados, olives, etc. They're high-fat and high protein, but it's all good fat.
  • LindseyC87
    LindseyC87 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Its good that you are eating alot of fruits and such, but you should probably add more to your meals. Only eating 800 or so calories is going to put you into starvation mode.. Eat some more yogurt, grill up a small chicken breast to put in salad, drink a protein shake, eat a bowl of oatmeal.. Do something to get closer to your daily calorie goal..
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Are you a vegetarian? I looked at 2 days of your diary and didn't see any meat. You seem to be making good food choices, just not eating enough of what you choose. I also see you aren't eating any snacks. Try eating 6 times a day...3 meals and 3 snacks. I hope this helps.
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Try incorporating more healthy fats in your diet. Your body actually needs them and it will up your calorie intake too. Throw some olive oil on the salad, have a tablespoon of peanut or almond butter.

You can also have low fat milk with the snack cookies. It's not terribly filling, but it will get you closer to your calorie count.

You're messing with your metabolism staying low like that. You may think, because you're young, it's no big, but I can guarantee when you're running up on the *kitten* end of 40, you're going to wish you had a healthy metabolism. Trust me on that :)
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Ok...for women, the minimum deficit is 1200 cals net/day, men is 1500 cals net/ day.
    All you have to do is make sure your net is a minimum of 1500 cals.
    If you eat 1200 cals, then burn 400, your deficit is at 800 cals, so you would need to eat that 400 to keep it at 1200. It has been proven in numerous studies that your body CAN, but not always go into starvation mode if you do not get your minimum. Some people hit their starvetion mode after others, but it will happen. Not only can this happen, but you are also depleting your body of the nutrients it needs to stay healthy as well as fight off diseases. When your body goes into starvation mode, instead of digesting and dispelling the food you intake, it stores it because it "thinks" it needs it to stay alive. It's like your body is hoarding what it feels it isn't getting enough of.
  • EarthGirlCanada
    EarthGirlCanada Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat enough calories, you will put your body into starvation mode and your body will try to reserve the fat. Your body is a machine which needs fuel. Add more protein perhaps.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Try and at the very least aim for 1200 calories NET.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Your body needs a minimum of 900 calories to function. This means that if you want all of your organs to work correctly, while you are sleeping, you need 900 calories a day just to do that. If you don't meet this basic requirement, you body will start to hold on to every little calorie you do take in and it will get the rest of it's needed nutrition from your organs. Typically the heart and the brain is first. Now I don't know about you, but I need my heart and my brain. In short, if you continue, you'll take years off of your lifespan.

From your day, you've had basically 300 calories in your body. You've eaten 800-ish and worked out for 500-ish. You need more. Now if you're used to eating like this and have done it for a long period of time, you need a shock to your body and your metabolism. You will need more protein, a LOT less sugar and a little more fat.
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have some suggestions. Definitely increase your calories to 1200 calories. You may feel ok now, but if you're working out, your body is going to need the fuel, and your weight loss will slow down. If you want to keep your caloric intake where it is, consult your doctor. I recommend increasing your water intake (shoot for half your body weight) and track your sodium. Sodium will make you retain water. Hope that helps! Let me know if you have questions!
  • junebug523
    junebug523 Posts: 196
    Options
    Hi Amanda,

The potential problem with not eating enough calories is that you might send your body into a state where it's going to hold onto every last thing you eat. It's often called "starvation mode". While it can sometimes lead to some temporary weight loss, it often doesn't--and it can even lead to weight gain. It's just not healthy or sustainable. Your body needs fuel!

MFP tries to set you up to eat a healthy number of calories to allow for moderate weight loss. It gives you warnings if you are headed into the danger zone. The point is not to eat a bunch of food just for the sake of meeting that goal, but to take a look at the foods you are eating, and make better choices. Also, restricting your diet too much can lead to binge eating.

You say you are full--it might be a good thing to come up with a few foods that will add nutrition and help get you up to your calorie goal. Calorie-rich foods like nuts, peanut butter, cheese, whole wheat bread or crackers--things that you like that will put you into that healthy zone.

Other people on this site know a lot more than I do about the science behind nutrition and exercise--but the main thing is to not be afraid of feeding yourself, even as you try to lose weight. The more balanced you are, the more likely it is that the changes you are making will be lifelong changes. And isn't that what we all want?

I haven't taken a look at your food diary, but I will and check back in if I think of anything you could adjust.
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Your body needs a minimum of 900 calories to function. This means that if you want all of your organs to work correctly, while you are sleeping, you need 900 calories a day just to do that. If you don't meet this basic requirement, you body will start to hold on to every little calorie you do take in and it will get the rest of it's needed nutrition from your organs. Typically the heart and the brain is first. Now I don't know about you, but I need my heart and my brain. In short, if you continue, you'll take years off of your lifespan.

From your day, you've had basically 300 calories in your body. You've eaten 800-ish and worked out for 500-ish. You need more. Now if you're used to eating like this and have done it for a long period of time, you need a shock to your body and your metabolism. You will need more protein, a LOT less sugar and a little more fat.

I was going to recommend more fat. Shoot for heart healthy fats like nuts and avocados