Calories Burned Calculation?

Options
Does anyone know how the calories burned within myfitnesspal are actually calculated? I worked 3.5 hours outside today, weeding (pulling, digging up and then spraying weeds), pruning, taking the pruned trimmings to the garden waste area, etc. But, could I really have burned that many calories doing it (came up as 934 calories for 210 minutes of "gardening, general)? I was up & down driveways, half cement walls, outdoor stairs, and in between the backyard, side yard, and front yard, etc. so it's possible, I guess. I'm just curious how accurate these calorie burned actually are calculated. I mean, how do they (and who are they) calculate them? Thanks!

Replies

• jquinte4
    jquinte4 Posts: 17
    Options
    I wondered that too. The cals on the machines are way different than what MFP says. I'll go to sparkpeople.com sometimes to calculate calories based on your weight, which I would think is more accurate.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    I believe it is possible as you were doing physical job outside and the weather is also hot which make's your burn more as you are sweating out the water from your body, but I am not sure how mfp calculate it :)
  • jennfer71
    jennfer71 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am curious also!! I did quite a bit of yardwork today also but cut the time I logged in about half as I felt it over estimated my calories burned. :wink:
  • sandinicole
    sandinicole Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I first started on here I didn't have a heart rate monitor. Once I got one I actually found that I was burning more than what mfp said I was. So congrats on burning so many, now yard work really pays off!
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing, I work out with a HRM so I have a pretty accurate view of how many calories I am burning. The calories listed on the site seem to be on the high side. That being said is there any way to manually enter the number of calories burned.
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I bought a heart rate monitor that calculates calories burned, and it's been great. I bought the wireless kind that doesn't require a chest strap; all I have to do is wear it on my forearm just below the elbow. Once it "synchs" with my heartbeat, I'm good to go.

I haven't tried it for gardening yet, but it's excellent for measuring the Wii workouts I'm doing. The numbers do seem to be more conservative than the ones that MFP calculates.
  • jaygirl3
    jaygirl3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Same here. I am always amazed at the numbers i get. 35 minutes of tae bo burns about 400 calories!!!! Seemed a lot to me
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    You can always manually enter the calories burned on your own. Just delete the MFP calculation and enter your own.
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I believe MFP takes you weight into consideration. A lighter friend of mine doing the same exercise burns way less than I do, doing the same exercise and length. I think it could go either way depending on your effort. Some people over estimate their effort and speed ect. If it's an iffy area you could reduce the time or speed ect. Just to be safe.
  • stephaniepill
    Options
    Thanks everyone for responding! I appreciate knowing I'm not the only one who wonders such things! I also appreciate learning that your actual weight plays into the burn, which makes sense. Also, the tip for wearing a Heart Rate Monitor to see how it calculates is a great reminder! Thanks to each one of you for taking time to post to my inquiry! And, thanks for the compliments on my burn. Burning calories is so much more fun when you're doing things you love to do anyway! :)
  • pocha0704
    pocha0704 Posts: 64
    Options
    I bought a heart rate monitor that calculates calories burned, and it's been great. I bought the wireless kind that doesn't require a chest strap; all I have to do is wear it on my forearm just below the elbow. Once it "synchs" with my heartbeat, I'm good to go.

I haven't tried it for gardening yet, but it's excellent for measuring the Wii workouts I'm doing. The numbers do seem to be more conservative than the ones that MFP calculates.

What kind/Brand do you have?
  • stephaniepill
    Options
    Thank you again to all who replied to my post! I appreciate your input! :)