Body wave/perm for hair?

LoveleeB
LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
edited September 26 in Chit-Chat
Hello fellow MFP friends,

I have really long, straight hair and it doesn't do anything I want it to except lay straight. Although it is nice at times... sometimes I would like to be able to curl it for a special occasion (but it never stays for more than an hour).

I am thinking about getting a body wave (i.e. loose perm) done to my hair so that way I can leave it wavy, curl it some more, or even straighten it to get a variety of styles.

Has anyone had this done? What should I consider before doing it? Any precautions? Suggestions? Anything I should know?

I am not one for change or taking risks but I feel like I need something different in my life and this might be the safest step in the direction LOL

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• lilac01
    lilac01 Posts: 180 Member
    My hair are really straight too. I curl my hair and they stay for like 4-5 hours. Make sure u use a good curler and a lot of hairspray.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    my hair is poker straight!

i find that curling tongs work better than a flat iron - a lot of ppl use GHDs for curls but I dont like them
    oh, and never curl your hair within 24 hrs of washing it - your hair loses elasticity when it's clean
    unless your horemones are all over the place, your hair should be ok the next day, but a minimum of 24 hrs in between - then a good hairspray - i use a freeze hold hairspray on each curl straight afgter i've done it, then pin it to set whilst i do the next one - that's how i did the ones in my pic
  • JellyPrz619
    JellyPrz619 Posts: 172
    I've never permed my hair, but do know a couple ppl that have. And they have all gotten damaged hair, and end up cutting it short. Thats why i wouldnt perm my hair, im too scared lol.

Have you tried using different techniques to curl your hair now? Like using a flat iron sometimes gives me better curls, different hair sprays? even garnier has this really good "putty" that holds my "hard to hold curls"
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    I've tried so many things. The best tool I have used is the You Styler (I think thats the name) where its a curling iron without the clamp thing so you just wrap the hair around and hold it with your fingers. It seems to hold pretty well but it take quite a while to do all my hair.

I would love to be able to shower in the morning and scrunch my hair but that doesn't work because there is absolutely no wave to it, even wet.

I might just start off by layering my hair and see if that's enough change and if not, then I might have a consultation for a body wave.

Thanks for the tips/advice so far ladies!
  • wolt98
    wolt98 Posts: 62 Member
    As a hair stylist I don't advise giving a perm to help your hair hold a curl when you curl it. Perms are very damaging to the hair and people with very long hair usually get very little or too much curl never seems to be quite right.

I do think you should try Redken Hot Sets to hold the curl in, spray strand of hair before curling and it will help hold the curl in longer. Also hot rollers are a great way to get some curls!
  • JellyPrz619
    JellyPrz619 Posts: 172
    Also try the "pin curl" technique.. curl your hair, keep the curl in place and PIN it w bobby pin on your roots and maybe sleeping on em :)
  • MrsFarrow
    MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    I'm also a hair stylist and perms have a time an place, but honestly, I don't think it's for you. Your hair probably doesn't stay well because of the length and sheer weight of it. Hence curls not holding. Hot sets is great, rollers are great, pin curling is amazing because if you let the hair fall while it's still hot, it'll mold into whatever it's sitting at, which would be a loose curl.

I would honestly try that before a perm. Some people get perms and love them, some people get them and can't wait for them to grow out. Either way, I don't think it'll work. It's pretty much your length, or curling it. I prefer length on me!! But products work wonders too!
This discussion has been closed.