Rhythmically challenged!

Options
So... I decided to give some workout DVDs a chance today and I have learned that I am severely rhythmically challenged! No matter which form of exercise I tried doing... cardio dance and Turbo Jam... by a few minutes in, I had given up and started flailing around doing my own "moves" trying to keep up with them!! Even in the "Learn" stage of Turbo Jam, I just could NOT get my body to cooperate with me and do her "twist" move.

I saw her do it.

I saw each move on the cards that were sent with the DVD.

I had the move down in my head.

Then, when I went to do it, I may as well have been doing Chubby Checker's twist with my limp wrists in front of me! I just have NO rhythm!

It's always the same... I start out strong, but by the end I'm hopping around doing whatever the heck I just feel like doing.

Does it ever get easier or am I destined to make a fool of myself? lol

Replies

• pjthomas
    pjthomas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Watch me trying Zumba and you would feel a little better about yourself. I also suffer from being rhythmically challenged. I do think that if you keep at it, it gets a bit better. That being said, I still look mental. Good luck.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    It does get easier don't give up! When I started to workout I couldn't do more than 10 min! Eventually when your body get used to daily exercises your body will get more energy to be able to stand till the end of the dvd! Try to do a bit more day by day nobody rushing you don't forget so just let your body get used to it! Give time for yourself and you will get better in it!
  • song2sing
    song2sing Posts: 183
    Options
    I would say you are doing well! As my video coach (Jillian Michaels) says as long as you keep moving and give her everything you have and put your heart into it, that's all she asks! Then as you grow accustomed to the routine, you can build up to what you can do.

I know when I work out I have to improvise on some of the moves until I can build up the strength and coordination to do them, but don't stop moving! Sounds like you and I are doing our best for such a time as this!!

Have fun whatever you do!! :flowerforyou:
  • JackieJ13
    JackieJ13 Posts: 93
    Options
    haha...I felt like that at first too...still do sometimes, but it just takes a little practice to do that twist move.
  • shimila1101
    shimila1101 Posts: 119
    Options
    I have 2 left feet. I learned a long tme ago that workout DVD's were not my friend and I should stay away from them. Instead I found yoga DVD's are completely rythmically challenged friendly and they do give you a workout.
  • cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I cannot follow any moves either. I do Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home videos. I have trouble doing anything that involves using my arms and legs at the same time. I find I try to follow, but if I can't I just keep moving!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I am not into dance or rhythm either. I find that is I exercise to things that don't require a timing thing I am good.

I don't particularly miss it though. If you enjoy it and just want to keep doing then by all means keep working at it. I look at it as "we can't all be good at or like to dance" I am just one who doesn't. I did try though and before MFP I wouldn't even have tried.
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    When you get the twist, you're going to love it. Give it some time and keep practicing. Even if it's not perfect, as long as you keep moving, you're burning calories!!

Gotta love TurboJam!!
  • c_ramey
    c_ramey Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Me too!! I can't do all of that dancing around that involves arms and legs together. I just turned off a cardio dvd becasue I was like a fish out of water, I just can't get it!! It frustrates me, the harder I try the worse it is. The Firm is a little better for me until it gets to the cardio and I just get so lost. I think that is one of the reasons I have so much trouble with the exercise part of this journey..