New here, stubborn baby weight, training for marathon

Options
My son is 2. I can't use the excuse that I just had a baby for why I have 20 extra pounds, mostly at the chest and middle. I am also doing a few 5k survivor mud runs this summer and want to be lean and ready. I am 24 years old, live in the Seattle-ish area, where weather presents a unique challenge as well for working out. I am limited to what workout I can do at home or when someone else has the baby because the combined weight of the baby and a jogging stroller are about 75% of my body weight. I was 100 lbs when I got pregnant and am 5 feet tall. Currently I weigh about 117, and I would be happy to weigh 105 or 110 with thinner hips and a thinner bust. I don't eat red meat or drink soda or much alcohol either, so there isn't much fat I can trim from my diet. Looking for some motivation and fitness buddies.

Replies

• Kebennett1
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MyFitnessPal! I love this site! It is helpful in so many weighs :blushing: ! I love watching the ticker change as my weight goes down, I love the non-ending support. I love the calorie counter.....

I am 49 years old and have fought the battle of the bulge for decades! I yo-yo dieted unsuccessfully for eons! Finally, at the urging of my cardiologist I had Lap-Band Surgery on Jan 31st 2011. I am now 39 pounds lighter and am about halfway to my goal weight!
    I am now able to maintain eating small meals and am ONLY eating healthy foods for the first time in my life! I feel great, except for my recent hysterectomy which I have to still recover from! I can't weight :laugh: to hit the gym in 6 weeks! I had been walking 2 miles a day on the treadmill, working with a ball and dumbbells until my most recent surgery!

Talk about baby weight, I weighed 98 pounds before my 1st son, 140 with my second son and then I never stopped gaining! I reached 196 pounds at my heaviest and I am only 4'10" tall! I know you can meet your goal, just as I can now! My goal is 105#.

Just keep your portions small, (I hear 1 serving is the size of your fist) eat ONLY healthy foods, drink 6-8 oz water daily (8 is recommended but I have never been able to make that myself), cardio exercise 3 or 4 days a week and walk every day at least 30 minutes!

I wish you all the best!
  • Crissy_jo
    Crissy_jo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm training for my first half marathon - it's in just 3 weeks! I have competed in several adventure races (AR) and have my first AR of the year next weekend. I just joined this site and started using it about 2 weeks ago. I'm aiming for just 1 pound a week loss so I don't interfere with all my training. I gained a fair amount of my weight over the holidays when I was not working out due to a stress fracture. Now to drop that weight and a few more that showed up over the last 20 years or so. I really like this site for tracking my food and exercise.
  • jfavs
    jfavs Posts: 7
    Options
    Are you upping protein or carb intakes or changing your diet at all in order to prepare for the marathons and adventure races?
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Hi jfavs! I have a 5-month old daughter and am planning to do a 5K Komen Race for the Cure this summer. I am also vegetarian except for fish. So, feel free to friend me if you want a buddy! :)
  • Crissy_jo
    Crissy_jo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Are you upping protein or carb intakes or changing your diet at all in order to prepare for the marathons and adventure races?
    I do eat more protein than this site gives me each day, and usually eat less fat. I am always short on iron. I am always sure to eat all my extra calories that I work off. If I burn off 300 calories or 1200 calories, I will eat nearly every single one of those. :-) I don't want to lose any muscle!!!! Some of the calories come in the form of fuel during my workouts (typically Cytomax sports drinks), a secon breakfast (I love a vanilla protein shake with peanut butter and frozen banana), and lots of extra snacks (nuts, yogurt, fruit, cheese, left overs in the fridge, cereal, candy, etc). I try to limit candy to no more than two days a week.

I tend to run towards the anemic side, so I try to remember to take an iron pill a few times a week to help me out.
  • jfavs
    jfavs Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi jfavs! I have a 5-month old daughter and am planning to do a 5K Komen Race for the Cure this summer. I am also vegetarian except for fish. So, feel free to friend me if you want a buddy! :)

i occasionally eat chicken because the rest of the family does and i have to convince my son it's okay to eat it, but don't like fish. i think for me it is a texture thing on top of the fact that i just like to be nice to animals. what steps are you taking to train for the 5k? i am trying a modified version of the couch to 5k program that is working okay for me so far but i hit a plateau and am having a hard time getting past 2 miles without feeling it in my knees.