What I don't understand about calorie intake and exercise...

Options
I know that we're supposed to consume the calories that we've burned during physical activity, but why do we have to eat extra calories? How come we can't plan our meals according to when we workout and not need to eat extra? For example, I do my normal workout, then eat my normal dinner right after that?

Replies

• GinjaNinja1
    GinjaNinja1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The way MFP sets up your weight loss is to already make you loose up to 2 lbs a week by cutting a large portion of calories out of your daily intake.

If you excercise and not eat back those calories, then your body goes into starvation mode. In starvation mode your body tends to store more calories in the form of fat for later. Therefore, you won't loose any weight.
    It is also not healthy to loose more than 2 lbs average a week as your body needs to comfortably adjust to it's new weight. If you are loosing to quickly, you will gain it all back very fast!

Good luck and eat back those calories.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    It's not a matter of "first I burned calories off, then I consumed that amount". The time doesn't matter.
  • Allison128
    Allison128 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

this is helpful too. Depending on how much you weigh now and how much you are trying to lose... you may not have to eat ALL of your exercise calories right away. I don't eat %100 of my calories but I try to eat most of them. It does help... keeps you from having hunger pains too. Its not recommended to eat less than 1200cals/day or lose more than 2lbs per week. keep that in mind!

Good luck and Welcome! Its great here!