Wow - I can't believe the sodium in bread....

Options
I had two baguettes at Panera bread, and it is over 1000 mg of sodium. Wow!!

Replies

• Sueboo31
    Sueboo31 Posts: 128
    Options
    I know!!! I recently starting tracking my sodium real close so I check everything now. My boyfriend bought some rye bread this weekend and thought I would use it for a sandwich. I check the label and it's 210mg per slice. I thought that was insane and decided now to eat it. Now it's not looking so bad compared to the Panera bread...lol. 1000mg??? Crazy!
  • tuscaroragal
    tuscaroragal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I can relate! Even healthy wheat bread has a lot of sodium...it's frustrating for sure! Keeps me eating salads at night for dinner so that I can enjoy my eggs and toast in the morning! :)
  • Angel1029
    Angel1029 Posts: 459
    Options
    That's why I stopped eating bread. I don't even miss it!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    me too!!! I started to replace with multi-grain crackers but even they can be high is sodium......
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    For 2 slices of my bread (Kingsmill Little Big Loaf - medium wholemeal) it's 320 for 2 slices :drinker:
  • sandyw127
    sandyw127 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    theres sodium in everything. thats been my rant these days, its terrible the stuff thats supposed to be good for ya but loaded with salt.
  • devildog525
    Options
    youre supposed to have atleast 2500mg a day for proper body function, just sayn cut it out if you want, but you wont be alive long enough to lose weight
  • rgsmi
    rgsmi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Salt is important to regulating yeast growth in dough, but I've found that making my own and using potassium chloride (salt substitute) works very well. Salt substitute is vile on food, but works well in bread.
  • nicole751
    nicole751 Posts: 26
    Options
    Yep, its crazy! i'm definitely going to keep a close watch on my sodium from now :)
    but yeah, if you drink a lot of water, it should flush most of the excess sodium out
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Healthy Life 40 calories per slice, 6 net carbs, Flaxseed with Omega-3 100% Whole Wheat Whole Grain Bread.
    2 slices= 80 calories, 1g total fat, 0g cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 17g carbs, 5g fiber, 3g sugar, 5g protein.
    I think it tastes pretty good. No high fructose corn syrup either.
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    I buy Nickel's 35-light bread...it has like 190 mg of sodium and 70 calories per 2 slices....i spent about a half hour, no joke, in the bread aisle the other day trying to find the lowest sodium bread :)
    it's pretty tasty, although my boyfriend complains that it's too "airy", whatever that means, lol...
  • emyback68
    emyback68 Posts: 89
    Options
    Wonder Smart White is great, only 50 calories and 100 mg sodium per slice (plus 3g protein). I have always loved white bread best for breakfast toast, and now I can still have it.
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    It is a shocker, but I LOVE bread. I just avoid other foods with sodium. In fact, I changed my sodium level to 1500 and barely go over except occasionally. Any time you eat out whether it's bread or not, there will be astronomical amounts of sodium.
  • Emilyanne6081
    Options
    panera bread baguettes are....ah-mazing...i haven't had one in a long time. Sounds so good right now.