Calculating Zumba Calories?

Options
jkestens63
jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
Let me preface this by saying I know I should get a HRM but that's not fiscally possible right now. That said, after 8 weeks of a curtailed fitness routine due to emergency surgery, I am able to resume fitness classes at my gym. I don't usually take the Zumba class - doesn't really look all that strenuous to me but thought it might be a good way to jump back into things rather than going straight into the kickboxing or step aerobics. My question is, how do you calculate the calories burned as that is not listed as an exercise choice in the exercise calculator??? Thanks!

Replies

• kmb2522
    kmb2522 Posts: 48
    Options
    I just put it in as the dance- aerobic, ballet, modern twist that MFP has. It is a dance class and I feel like it's accurate.
  • dogluvr73
    dogluvr73 Posts: 17
    Options
    I took a zumba class once, its quite hard if you are not experienced in working out (like me) I was tired after the 10minute warm up, I did have alot of fun and I sweated like crazy, some zumba pages say you can burn up to 1000 calories in an hour but I actually dont know, it is a constant hour with warm ups and cool downs Im thinking of going tomorrow at the gym by me.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I want to get an HRM as well so I can have more accurate calorie counts.

Don't discount Zumba as a great workout...you get out what you put in, if you keep up as best as you can with the instructor and do all the moves to your best ability, you should be SWEATING and beat when you're done. I also put it in as a dance-aerobics class, for now.
  • tcsteeves
    tcsteeves Posts: 59
    Options
    I put my under aerobic high impact because I don't feel like the dance, aerobic modern twist was correct on the calories for the amount of time I did Zumba. I felt like I burnt more calories then the dance entry was giving me credit for.
  • amcbride87
    amcbride87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your weight lost is amazing
  • 27tasha77
    Options
    I looked it up on line but I'm not sure how accurate it is. I estimated it to be 500 cal/ hr.however I worked really hard at it. Wif you can find a better estimate I would love to know. It may also depend on the instructor and the student.
  • Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Before I bought my HRM I was estimating 500 cals/hour. Now that I have one, it is between 500-600, so I was close. I don't know what gym you go to, but the Zumba class I attend is very intense. When I first started, I didn't even think I would make it through the class. I walk out of there so sweating that I look like I just took a shower with my cloths on. It is also the most fun I have ever had working out. Try it, you will love it!!!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I want to get an HRM as well so I can have more accurate calorie counts.

Don't discount Zumba as a great workout...you get out what you put in, if you keep up as best as you can with the instructor and do all the moves to your best ability, you should be SWEATING and beat when you're done. I also put it in as a dance-aerobics class, for now.

I don't mean to imply that Zumba is't a good workout, just that the instructor at the Monday am class isn't presenting a challenging class... that's the verdict from the Zumba "regulars". I've seen the Friday class participants sweating their collective butts off. And I agree with you 100%, for any workout you get what you give.
  • justin_time
    Options
    Take a look at http://www.zumbacalories.com enter your weight, workout duration & intensity and it will calculate how many calories you have burned based on average metabolic rates