I feel miserable right now...

Options
I am sorry...I feel really down right now! In fact, I am crying to be honest. I was talking to my mom long distance and she started asking me about my weight loss and that I have been working out for 2 years and still not lost weight. I HATE THIS! I hate feeling so miserable about myself. I know that I am on this journey but it aint easy. My mother herself is obese but how can she judge me like this?

I am sorry...I am just having one of those "down" days. I feel miserable .:sad:

Replies

• Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I am sorry...I feel really down right now! In fact, I am crying to be honest. I was talking to my mom long distance and she started asking me about my weight loss and that I have been working out for 2 years and still not lost weight. I HATE THIS! I hate feeling so miserable about myself. I know that I am on this journey but it aint easy. My mother herself is obese but how can she judge me like this?

I am sorry...I am just having one of those "down" days. I feel miserable .:sad:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    It's okay, at least you are doing something about it.
    That's a good sign.
    :flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    You should call your mom back and talk to her about it. She probably just wants the best for you, but letting her know that she's not helping can't hurt. :flowerforyou:
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Have you figured out why you haven't been able to loose weight? Maybe you weren't eating enough or to much after exercising? The good news is that you are here now and learning about food and your body. Without knowledge we couldn't accomplish anything. Keep at it and the rewards will come.

-Adrienne:heart:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked out or talked with a nutritionist about why you haven't lost weight in the two years you've been working out?? That doesn't sound right. :frown:
  • gmpearse
    gmpearse Posts: 136
    Options
    Mango,

Sometimes people think they are being supportive and don't know that what they are saying hurts. After reading your statement I really think you should be patting yourself on the back. You have been working out for 2 years. For 2 years you have been concentrating on doing what is best for you. Congratulations on taking care of you! Maybe your mom needs the encouragement to do what you are. She may actually be jealous of your efforts and her lack of ambition. If nothing else - I am proud of you.
  • giggles724
    giggles724 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    How I wish I could be there to just give you a hug! :flowerforyou:

We all have those days! I have them at least once a week! Maybe mine are due to other things I have to deal with like my husband being deployed but anyways I still have them.

It's okay to feel like that but at the same time think "OK tomorrow is a new day and I'm gonna start my day by doing this XXXX". Always have PLAN B. Without a plan we always will just continue the same cycle.
    Hope that helps you...........
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Don't apologize ..we all have those days. The best thing you are doing is making a start. You might not be able to change how your mom responds but you can get a little thicker skin and realize you are trying to do something about it. Trust me, moms have a way of pushing buttons, sometimes without even realizing. Smile..we love ya!:flowerforyou:
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked out or talked with a nutritionist about why you haven't lost weight in the two years you've been working out?? That doesn't sound right. :frown:

I found out 2 years ago I have a hypoactive thyroid. Doesn't mean you can't lose, just seems like you have to try alittle harder.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

I found out 2 years ago I have a hypoactive thyroid. Doesn't mean you can't lose, just seems like you have to try alittle harder.

I had my thyroid removed when I was 11. I can definitely tell when I need my dosage changed. :sick:
  • Angiebangie
    Angiebangie Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Chapter 39 from "Fit from Within" by Victoria Moran

Stand Up For Yourself

(I'm just taking some key parts, otherwise it would be 2 pages)

"Don't let people put you down for your weight-not anyone, not ever. A friend of mine who gained some twenty-five pounds during college got to the poin where she dreaded talking to her own father, whom she loved very much, because he always aked if she was losing weight, if she was watching her diet, and the like. Invariable, after one of those conversatio;ns, she would assuage her feelings of shame with peanuts or pretzels. This went on for several years until she started dating a man who called it to her attention after overhearing a couple of these phone calls from Dad. "He has no right to make you feel this way, " her boyfriend told her. "Just tell him nicely that he can help you more by not bringing it up." It had never occurred to her that she had this right. The next time her father called and started on the enevitable "how much weight did you lose this week?" she said, "Dad, I love you, and I know your heart is in the right place, but your asking about my weight hurts my feelings and doesn't help me. Please don't do it anymore." Her father assured her that he had only been trying to help and that, of course, he would stop talking about it. Which he did.

Don't let anyone put you down for your weight: not friends, relatives, or strangers. There are far worse failings than overeating. It just happens to be one with obvious consequences, making overweight people ripe for others' pontificating-the well-meaning ones like my friend's father and the intentionally cruel ones as well. Don't put up with it. You're too valuable."

:smile:
    Sorry, I know it was long, but I had just read this yesterday. This is a great book, 101 small chapters, easy to pick up and use one of the many suggestions daily to start you on your way, or keep you on track!

Good luck!
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your support. I am doing much better after working out :)

The thing is my mom is a sweet person but sometimes her words can sound wrong even when she's not trying to hurt. I have had all my tests done, including thyroid and everything is normal. My thing is I lost ALOT of weight before getting married. Like from size 16 to size 4. It was a MAJOR accomplishment but that was 10 years ago! Now, I have a child and a house and husband. Things have changed. It just hurts to hear my mom say stuff like this because she lives across the world. I wish it just sounded better. I had to hang up and then cried a bit but realised soon enough that I am not going to cry anymore. I can actually take control of my life and change things even if it takes me another year or 2 to do it.

I have really found comfort in your words. I just wish I could turn my life around in a second but I realize it will take time. I know you will all help me get there. Thanks much! :heart:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    My dad does the same thing, ALL the time.
    I take most of what he says with many grains of salt (or sugar depending on the TOM).
    Parents sometimes don't realize they are being insensitive jerks....especially to their kids, but it happens to the best of them.

You are doing good. :flowerforyou: