Reformed heavy drinkers who now drink less - talk to me

Options
I am working on reducing my alcohol consumption. I just don't want to give it up completely 'cause its so darn fun and motivating for me fitness wise to be able to look forward to good times with my friends... but I tend to overdo it. I usually average 8-12 drinks on a night out with friends. I'd like to reduce it and get better control over it, so I'd love to hear from others who have succeeded in this. My questions are:

How many drinks were your typical average before you reduced?

Did you find it difficult at first to limit yourself?

Do you have just as much fun when you reduced your consumptions?

What did you do to get it back under control? Did you drink less frequently?

My tolerance is so high right now it takes so many to feel good and then I am horribly hungover the next day and I hate that. What can I do so that I can drink less and still get a fun buzz? (that makes me sound like a total alcoholic, but I"m just being frank)

Should I drink on an empty stomach and replace a meal with a few drinks? What are some healthy alcohol soaking snacks that I could have after a night out to reduce the hangover?

Any other tips from fellow MFPers who still indulge and have a good time, but have managed to cut their alcohol back from a former large amount would be appreciated. I think that I can find a happy place with my drinking and be able to enjoy it in moderation without getting totally soused every time. Hey, I managed to learn how to control my eating - I figure I can work on discipining myself with this the same way.

Replies

• havi7
    havi7 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/havi7

I tried to "control" my drinking multiple times and failed because control is an illusion.
  • Achoooo
    Achoooo Posts: 130
    Options
    I never get hungover, so there is no incentive for me to quit! I want to drink almost nightly but can't, because I am hungry and use it for food instead. I'll answer your questions at the risk of sounding like an alcoholic.

How many drinks were your typical average before you reduced? I didn't drink nightly but when I did, I didnt drink a lot because I made them strong. Sometimes I may only have 2-4, but instead of one serving of hard liquor mixed in a coke, I'd do about half and half. I'd also polish off a bottle of wine no problem.

Did you find it difficult at first to limit yourself?
    YESSS. I'm halfway thru week 3 and every night I want to drink.

Do you have just as much fun when you reduced your consumptions?
    Well I mostly drink alone, so it's not about fun it's about the relaxing feeling and the buzz, but I also like the taste.

What did you do to get it back under control? Did you drink less frequently?
    Right now I'm just "not" drinking. So far I've had the willpower, but I'll go out tomorrow night with a couple people and I know I'm going to want to drink - it's pricey though, and worse calorie wise.... but I'll probably workout extra to earn some extra calories then have at it.
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I live in Vegas and am 22-so yeah, drinking is a big thing for me. I also am a server and most of my friends go out every night after work. There are no "last calls" in this 24 hour town, so it is pretty difficult for me not to overdo it.

Since I've been dieting and exercising more, I have tried cutting down to only drinking once a week. I have also started to drink more sensible things-like a vodka and soda with a lime wedge. Soda is just carbonated water so it has no calories, and vodka has a lot less calories than tequila, rum, or BEER. Beer is the worst-even light beers are usually at least 100 calories, and when I go out I can easily drink 6 beers-which is 600 CALORIES!

Lately I've been working out harder on the days that I am going to go out-the extra "workout" calories I get goes to the empty calories of drinking.

Hope this helped some! I am trying to cut back and it is HARD, especially in this town. So far I drink one or two times a week which is a lot better than usual. I am not an alcoholic, but I enjoy alcohol. It just has too many cons for me to drink like i was. Not only was I getting a lot of empty calories from drinking, but I also don't watch what I eat when I am drunk-therefore junk food like french fries sound perfect at 3am. :) Not so great for my waistline. PLUS-when I am hungover the next day, I am less likely to work out. SO all in all I have to cut back if I want to be healthy.

Good luck! Add me as a friend if you'd like- it helps being able to relate to someone who is trying to cut back as well. :)
  • lilttriana
    Options
    Hey there,

I can definitely relate to your situation. Where you are at is a tough split unless you are absolutely certain of what you want. It sounds like you might want to focus on the drinking just because it is a bit of a problem, even outside of the weight loss. I used to drink like a 12 pack a night with no problem and not even have a buzz. I now don't really drink at all. When I started my weight loss journey I just decided that it wasn't worth it because I know that it was holding me back.

If I do decide to have a drink, I wait for the weekend and I try to make it something like a Skinny Girl Margarita (so delicious) and only 37 calories per 1.5 oz. Try to limit yourself to two because the calories add up quickly. Good luck in all of your adventures. Feel free to add as a friend if you would like.
  • lilttriana
    Options
    To Everyone.. Hang in there if you are really trying to slow it down. It truly does get easier. There are often times that I want to drink and just have to push it out of my head. I could easily still drink every night. I also quit smoking after 15 years about 12 weeks ago so I have a double whammy.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/havi7

I tried to "control" my drinking multiple times and failed because control is an illusion.

Could you elaborate on "control is an illusion"? Also, is this statement related only to drinking, or food too, or life in general?
  • mommy2isaac
    Options
    don't know how much this will help but i drink kind of a lot...my group of friends is pretty close to this local band and we go see them like almost every weekend. i used to drink like 9 or so beers every time we went. then when i decided to finish losing my baby weight i knocked it down to 7 to start with (im still at cuz its only been a month or so) but the thing that really helps me with calories is i ALWAYS work out and burn what im gonna drink before i go.i drink bud light lime so i found out how many calories that was and work them,plus some extra, before i head out for the night. i joined MFP about a week ago and have lost 2 pounds putting my grand total since i started my diet to10 lbs! so i think thats a good way to start out by lowering yourself slowly and watching the calories you burn the night you want to go out. good luck :)
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt say I'm a 'heavy' drinker, more of a 'binge' drinker. Sometimes I drink less on the night, sometimes I drink more, sometimes I dont go out at all. Just depends on my motivation really. No doubt that drinking slows my weight loss and compromises my resolve!

I think I've figured that if I eat carbs after drinking and drink tons of water, I dont get the hangover half as bad, if at all. But I always have food in my fridge for when I get in now and avoid KFC or kebabs like the plague. So basically I eat something healthy when I get home.

And yes, I skip dinner before I go out. And workout before I go out too. Its not often I go over my calories that way.

But the REAL danger is the next day when I just get a carb attack!!! This takes a lot of self control and will power. And I never feel like exercising the next day either. So that's not good either.

I've not had a drink for 5 weeks now, so I'm kinda dreading Easter which I have put aside to get wrecked!! :laugh:

Good luck, you'll find your own groove! :wink:
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    bump - gotta come back to this.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options

Control is not an illusion. It's a matter of willpower, inner balance, and mental strength. Whether it's alcohol you're controlling, or food, drugs, etc, it is possible to do. Please don't tell people that having control is impossible. It may be for you - but not for everyone.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options

Control is not an illusion. It's a matter of willpower, inner balance, and mental strength. Whether it's alcohol you're controlling, or food, drugs, etc, it is possible to do. Please don't tell people that having control is impossible. It may be for you - but not for everyone.

Thank you for saying this - I agree. If I would have used the word "discipline" instead of control would the response have been the same?

I don't understand why some reformed alcoholics seem to resent other folk's efforts to strike a balance for moderation in drinking.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Well, I wouldn't necessarily call myself "reformed." My hubby works in the wine industry, so alcohol is part of our lifestyle. But I am working on cutting back from daily drinking. Up until a few weeks ago, I'd typically have between 2 & 4 drinks per night... maybe 6 if I was at a special event.

Then I just decided I'd go without drinking to try to get over a little plateau. I had been stuck at 160 for a couple weeks and thought that cutting out the alcohol might get me over that little hump.

The first night, when I came home from work, it was really hard not to pop open a beer or pour a drink. But once I poured myself a water and sat down to do my regular coming-home-from-work stuff, I got over it. It was really just the habit, and having the water in a fancy glass might have helped a little. It was difficult, but I made it through. And every night after that has been easier.

Since then, I've had several nights when I haven't had a drink at all, and several others where I've only had one drink. I've also had a couple of heavier nights (recent wedding trip). But I am making it a habit to have occasional nights without. And I am able to replace those empty calories with yummy food!

Overall, I'd say, yes, I have had as much fun without alcohol as with. But I didn't really use alcohol for "fun," more for relaxation.

If I know I'm going to be drinking, I just make sure to exercise and to eat sensibly earlier in the day. I try to choose light beers when possible. I'm a sucker for a gin & tonic, but maybe I'll try to switch to soda instead.

I don't typically get hangovers (I'm more of a maintenance drinker than a binge drinker), but I think that eating *while* drinking is usually the best way to avoid a hangover. Also, alternate drinks with glasses of water, and try to have only one alcoholic drink per hour.
  • havi7
    havi7 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Thank you for saying this - I agree. If I would have used the word "discipline" instead of control would the response have been the same?

I don't understand why some reformed alcoholics seem to resent other folk's efforts to strike a balance for moderation in drinking.

For starters, I hold no resentments towards anyone who drinks, especially those who try to change their drinking habits. Second, the 1 sentence I posted along with a link to my story was merely a way of sharing a brief glimpse into my dealings with alcohol. It was done in such a manner as not to come off as a preacher pushing my beliefs on anyone. I know that I'll never be able to convince anyone that may have a problem that they may have a problem and thus never try to do so. What I can do is put myself out there, say "this is me" and offer help or inspiration to those who want it.

There were times in my life where I would think that I needed to quit, and would quit on my own without help for a short time. Then I would bring up to myself and others all the accomplishments in my life that proved I was disciplined, mentally strong, balanced, and had great willpower. Then, sometimes a week later or months later, I would start drinking in excess because I was an addict.

Addict - to devote or surrender (oneself) to something habitually or obsessively

Control - To exercise authoritative or dominating influence over
    (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/control)

Now we all can ponder and argue the definitions of those definitions, but I personally don't see how an addict can control his addiction while using.

(Disclaimer: My use of personal pronouns such as "I" and "my" are meant to convey that this post is my opinion and is not fact.)

Edited to add source for definition of control.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options

For starters, I hold no resentments towards anyone who drinks, especially those who try to change their drinking habits. Second, the 1 sentence I posted along with a link to my story was merely a way of sharing a brief glimpse into my dealings with alcohol. It was done in such a manner as not to come of as a preacher pushing my beliefs on anyone. I know that I'll never be able to convince anyone that may have a problem that they may have a problem and thus never try to do so. What I can do is put myself out there, say "this is me" and offer help or inspiration to those who want it.

There were times in my life where I would think that I needed to quit, and would quit on my own without help for a short time. Then I would bring up to myself and others all the accomplishments in my life that proved I was disciplined, mentally strong, balanced, and had great willpower. Then, sometimes a week later or months later, I would start drinking in excess because I was an addict.

Addict - to devote or surrender (oneself) to something habitually or obsessively

Control - To exercise authoritative or dominating influence over

Now we all can ponder and argue the definitions of those definitions, but I personally don't see how a user can control his addiction while using.

(Disclaimer: My use of personal pronouns such as "I" and "my" are meant to convey that this post is my opinion and is not fact.)

The OP is trying to get help and reduce her alcohol consumption. To me, that is her controlling her issues. All Im saying is that words should be chosen wisely. Telling someone that control is impossible is negative. Its better to be positive.

Definition of control: lessen the intensity of; hold or keep within limits; the activity of managing or exerting control over something; restraint: discipline in personal and social activities
    Source: wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
  • chantel14
    chantel14 Posts: 128
    Options
    I def know how you feel! Beer is what made me fat! haha. I use to drink a couple of beers every night or every other night to wind down after work. Then I would probably heavily drink once a week. so in all reality it was probably the thousands of calories I drank in beer that got me here :) Cutting back is probably the hardest thing I have had to do diet wise. It sucks. :( So what I'v done is switch to a low calorie beer (budweiser select 55) and try not to drink more than a six pack though the week. (Its really hard because I have to watch my husband drink his good beer every night still...... makes me sad lol) And when I want to get a buzz I stick with diet drinks mixed with straight liquor. I would def not not eat during the day to save calories and drink all of them that night (that will make you VERY sick ;) I would just try and keep it to once a week and try some healthier drink choices (not beer lol) Best of luck!