Toning your core

Options
Does anyone have any good tips or exercises that tone the core/abdominals. If so please share; because I exercise frequently but I can't tone this area and have been working on it for over a year. Please Help!

Replies

• gregmroberts
    Options
    I have gotten the best results from AbRipperX. Stay disciplined with it, and you will get the results!! Here is the link:

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/WYJRj54pS8o/
  • Angel1029
    Angel1029 Posts: 459
    Options
    I have recently done RevAbs and got great results. Check it out, message me if you want more information.
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I am having issues with that too but, cardio is your best bet... Keep doing cardio for 30 mins everyday at least. I do cardio for a hour to two hours everyday though and that's helped me. I have lost a lot of inches in my core because of it... I dunno how much because I didnt think to do a starting measurement but I was 32.5 inches in the waist in february and now I'm 31 inches, which I think is a success!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I've heard the plank is pretty amaaaaaazing :smile:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-proper-plank-technique/
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    It's all in the diet. Abs are made in the kitchen. The only way to reduce the fat on your abdominals, is to reduce your total bodyfat. Almost any exercise if done properly will help strengthen the core. If you are low on bodyfat, and still can't see any definition in your abs, then crunches, planks, leg raises, bicycles, hip ups, etc. will help bring out the definition, but they won't rid you of bellyfat.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    It's all in the diet. Abs are made in the kitchen. The only way to reduce the fat on your abdominals, is to reduce your total bodyfat. Almost any exercise if done properly will help strengthen the core. If you are low on bodyfat, and still can't see any definition in your abs, then crunches, planks, leg raises, bicycles, hip ups, etc. will help bring out the definition, but they won't rid you of bellyfat.

Thanks you!!! There is NO SUCH THING as toning muscle. we get a tone look from losing the fat sitting on top of our hard earned muscle. Keep up with cardio and eat clean and you will have a defined look. :]
  • jen2bhottie
    jen2bhottie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think your best bet is to talk to a gym trainer. Most gyms provide a personal trainer for free for at least 1-2 sessions, I'm seeing one on Wednesday. I worked with a trainer briefly last year and she has us doing a lot of core exercises with medicine balls. Examples: sit-up position, knees bent, upper body halfway between laying flat and sitting straight up. Holding a 5 lb ball with both hands, twist to the side and touch the ball to the floor beside your hip then twist the opposite way and touch the ball to the opposite side. We also had to do planks. There were a lot more, but I can't remember them all.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    There's a really great ab routine on Body By Jake. I think you can YouTube it. Strengthening your abdominals, obliques, muscles in your lower back, glutes, trapezius, lats, and rhombus are essential for good posture, strong lung and rib support, and a flat tummy. Eliminating excess fat above those muscles gives great definition.

Again, the Body By Jake workout is great. It's 20 minutes of pure core love!

Enjoy!
  • betterthanmama
    betterthanmama Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    For quick abs, I recommend the plank. I don't really see a lot of people doing it (maybe because it's pure hell), but the easiest and shortest way to tone the abs.

Get into a push up position, then onto your elbows so they are right under your shoulders with arms in front. (sounds hard but think of it as your going to do push ups on your arms with 90degree elbows). Keep your back flat and hold. HOLD HOLD HOLD! That's it.

You will probably start with 30-60sec, then every 2days add 5-10 seconds. One you hit 2 min, lift one leg for 10 sec and other for the same amount. then you can add lifting arms, arms and legs and hold them for a longer time. Make sure you end with a minute of regular hold.

This may seem easy, but I think it's the best way to get stronger abs in the least amount of time. If you really want to get stronger, do it before and after your workout.

Oh and if you are not screaming and yelling at someone & dripping sweat by the last few seconds your probably not doing it right. (butts too high, time not long enough)
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    ab ripper x
  • jen2bhottie
    jen2bhottie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    For quick abs, I recommend the plank. I don't really see a lot of people doing it (maybe because it's pure hell), but the easiest and shortest way to tone the abs.

Get into a push up position, then onto your elbows so they are right under your shoulders with arms in front. (sounds hard but think of it as your going to do push ups on your arms with 90degree elbows). Keep your back flat and hold. HOLD HOLD HOLD! That's it.

You will probably start with 30-60sec, then every 2days add 5-10 seconds. One you hit 2 min, lift one leg for 10 sec and other for the same amount. then you can add lifting arms, arms and legs and hold them for a longer time. Make sure you end with a minute of regular hold.

This may seem easy, but I think it's the best way to get stronger abs in the least amount of time. If you really want to get stronger, do it before and after your workout.

Oh and if you are not screaming and yelling at someone & dripping sweat by the last few seconds your probably not doing it right. (butts too high, time not long enough)

Yea, the plank is a lot easier said than done! I've only managed to get up to 45 seconds, I start cussing about halfway through because that's when the sweat starts dripping in my eyes! lol But when you're done, you will feel it!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

THIS
  • syd1980
    syd1980 Posts: 283
    Options
    I have gotten the best results from AbRipperX. Stay disciplined with it, and you will get the results!! Here is the link:

i agree , i saw great results in my stomach after 90 days. this round im doing ab jam for a month , then switch to ab ripper x.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options

That looks mean but I think I'm going to have a go.
    I love the way they are actually working out. He's out of breath and is OK showing it.
    Thanks for this.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Planks... I hold it for 1 minute, rest for a minute, and repeat so that I've done 3 planks (= 3 minutes).

However, if you've got fat on your stomach, you'll never see a 6-pack no matter how many planks/crunches you do. You need to lose fat first, and do that by strength training (NOT cardio alone).
  • keynesian
    keynesian Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Using the rowing machine has helped me - maximum resistance and try not to use your legs too much. Also echo the benefits of planking.
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I have seen results from loads of cardio then crunches, planks and reverse crunches for toning.

I've also just started Jillian Michaels 6 week 6 pack!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    6 week 6pack???!!! If that works, let me know as I've been trying for about 4 years now :P
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    you have to lose fat to see muscle..this is what is often refered to as 'tone'.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    bump... I want the link for ab ripper