Cooking for One. (Tips?)

Options
hush7hush
hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
Anyone have any recipes or tips on cooking for one?

Just me. :)

Replies

• vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know. I am use to cooking for about 4-7 people and this fall will be living by myself.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Cook large meals and portion them out, I do up a double or triple batch of pancakes (adding whey powder lately) and freeze the extras, in a typical serving size and sometimes in a double serving size if its 2 of us but I find it just as easy to grab two packs of the single serve as opposed to getting stuck with a double when I want one.

Cook ahead and freeze, goulash freezes fine short term, mac and cheese freezes fine short term, soup / chili freeze well for a couple months.
  • krystleRD
    krystleRD Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You can always get you tysons or pilgrims chicken ( 7 usually come in a bag) you can always make you 1 broiled or baked chicken with your favorite seasoning, get your favorite green veggie, and a nice baked potatoe plain... thats one...
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I used to use allrecipes website (http://allrecipes.com/) looking for recipes. It allows you to enter serving size, and the ingredient will changed the right among for the serving size you are asking for. So you can make any serving size you wish. Give a try!

If you are ok with eating a little bit left over, you might want to cook for 2-3 serving size, then you can have some leftover, especially something yummy. :-)
  • RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    check out hungry-girl.com, she has tons of recipes for one or two people
  • JustJenn419
    JustJenn419 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Bump...

Single mom to a three year-old. She eats what I eat but not a big enough portion that I would consider it cooking for two. I'd love to see the responses you get.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Oh! If your freezer is big enough and you eat meat, buy it in bulk and freeze them in sandwich size freezer bags in individual portions. It takes time, but in the long run is cheaper.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Dont.

Buy.

Processed/Frozen.

Meals.

:)
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i mostly cook just for myself, and i do as others have said. i make enough to portion out. 4 servings usually works well, i eat one, put one in the fridge, and the other 2 in the freezer for some other time. i also like allrecipes.com.
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    Cook a protein for dinner, eat half and then top a salad with it or use it in a wrap or sandwich the next day. Freeze any leftovers for a different night as well :)
  • LorrainePorta
    LorrainePorta Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Shop daily for your evening meal and buy just what you need for that day. If steaks or other protien come in too large a size, cook the entire amount and slice it the next day to top a salad.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Yeah, don't buy that frozen processed junk. It's soooooooooo bad for you and I personally think it makes you crave more food! Don't bother cooking for one. It takes just as much time to make a meal for one as it does a meal for 2 or more, so make the extra and freeze the rest, especially things like casseroles and soups/stews. If you are eating meat, that's easy, grill up a steak or chicken breast or some fish with seasonings of your choice, bit of olive oil (I have a Misto it's AWESOME), then on the side you can add some steamed veggies of your choice or salad, and either some rice/grain dish or potatoes. Make the salad/veggies the largest portion of the meal. I make a big pot of brown rice, divide it up and freeze it. Same with fresh veggies that I find in season. And again, a lot of casseroles and such freeze really well, so if you spend a few hours in the kitchen knocking up a few dishes, you'll have dinner for over a week already made and all you have to do is warm it up.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Salad topping, good one!:happy:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Cook in batches. I cook Sunday nights and usually lasts me all of the weekdays :) Also, when doing this I will always cook healthy stuff as I know I'll be eating it all week.
  • busub
    busub Posts: 58
    Options
    Everybody loves an omelet. Can't go wrong w/ egg whites with low fat cheese and lots of veggies (mushrooms, asparagus, onion... anything you want really). Serve w/ a light salad on the side. Love mines w/ a dash of Tapatio on top.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Actually I do them a fair bit as well. 150-200g frozen veggies, nuke. Chuck in pan. Add 2 eggs and 2 egg whites with a bit of skim milk. I usually use Moroccan seasoning, peri peri or Portuguese chicken seasoning for flavoring. Also curry powder works well. Quick, easy, healthy and minimal clean up :p