What's the best and worst advice you've been given??

Options
about losing weight and being healthy?

My best = don't give up
worst= my mum told me to skip meals as that's how she did it! personally I could not do that and thefact she's always aneamic (sp?) shows its not healthy.

Replies

• nienhulm
    nienhulm Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The best: Don't keep crappy food in your house. If its not there, you can't eat it.
    The worst: Eat a tapeworm. (seriously)

3876897.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Best = never focus on the big loss, break it down into manageable realisitic chunks
    - from my GP who is also female and overweight hence why I feel I can talk to her about my weight problems

Worst = solid food makes you fat - liquid food makes you thin
    - this came from a pro eating disorders website - yes, I actually considered trying to 'become' annorexic a few years back
  • bigmamma3
    bigmamma3 Posts: 134
    Options
    The best: Don't keep crappy food in your house. If its not there, you can't eat it.
    lol yuck!! my cat had them they dont look very appertising
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Best : get active and start doing strengh training
    Worst: dont eat for a week (so I lose those remaining 7lbs)
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

Aye, if you dont buy it you cant eat it - that works
    i too head that a tape worm would be good as it digests food for you - but i dont fancy a 19metre long worm in my gut
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Best advice? slow down and relax.

Worst advice? slow down and relax.

Anybody who is a friend of mine on MFP here will understand lol!
  • yoghurtand
    yoghurtand Posts: 119
    Options
    Best: Run every day.

Worst: Keep your net calories 1000 below your maintenance. I still can't shake this one.
  • bigmamma3
    Options
    Best = never focus on the big loss, break it down into manageable realisitic chunks
    - from my GP who is also female and overweight hence why I feel I can talk to her about my weight problems

Worst = solid food makes you fat - liquid food makes you thin
    - this came from a pro eating disorders website - yes, I actually considered trying to 'become' annorexic a few years back

been therewhen I was younger I used to wish I had an eating disorder. looking back I can't believe I thought like that
  • Natalie43
    Natalie43 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    best - take one day at a time.
    worst - don't do anything you don't need to lose any weight!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Best- "Just walk, get moving, doesnt matter what you do as long as you are active you will lose weight" (My grabdmother years ago)

Worst- "Just go throw it up, you will feel better!" (this was from the men I work with at work!)
  • parisianskies002
    Options
    Best:
    Running is the best cardio work out (and boy wasn't he right!)

Worse:
    Go on a liquid diet
    l tried that and it made me feel SO ill.
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Best: one day at a time, etc.
    worst: okay, this is complicated, but I think most personal trainers have done me more harm than good by pushing me so much that I never wanted to go back. This is a common "worst", I think. I have lost 20 pounds over the last 2 years all by myself with no one telling me "walking three times a week won't get you results!". In fact, walking led to boxing which led to running which led to Insanity :) but it took awhile.

Best,

Debbie
  • bigmamma56
    Options
    Best advice: Lose 10% of my body weight to reduce my chance of getting diabetes by 50%..

Worse advice: A personal trainer once said about food.... only eat it if it comes out of the ground, grows on a tree or runs, flies or swims.....needless to say this meant no carbs and it made me feel ill.
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Best advice: "You should check out this website I've been using called MyFitnessPal..." (Thanks, mceleste11!)

Worst advice: "You should try the ______ diet! It worked for me; ___ years ago, I lost ___ pounds. Though due to ________ I have gained it back."

I have heard almost the exact same bad advice from four or five different people, and only the details were different. This unsolicited advice was offered after I've already lost considerable weight using MFP.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Best: keep a food log (this has been the single most important factor in my weight loss ... well, other than not giving up)

Worst: My mom told me to eat less than 1000 calories a day because that's how she lost 50 lbs in 5 months. I did it for about 3 weeks until I had so little energy I could barely stand up at the end of the day. Then I did a bunch of research (and found MFP) and realized why that was a terrible idea.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Best advice: Lose 10% of my body weight to reduce my chance of getting diabetes by 50%..

Worse advice: A personal trainer once said about food.... only eat it if it comes out of the ground, grows on a tree or runs, flies or swims.....needless to say this meant no carbs and it made me feel ill.

?? fruit and especially vegetables are very carb rich? as are grain based products?
  • joaniegray
    joaniegray Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Best: Avoid processed food.

Worst: Weigh in once a week (this just doesn't work for me, may be someone else's best advise but really hurts me).

Great question, I've enjoyed reading the replies.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    My best: Track everything

worst: the ice cream diet will make you drop 10 pounds a week! (It didn't and it was horrible)
  • mommybgood
    Options
    Best: Track everything that goes into your mouth, you eat more than you think you do.

Worst: Just push yourself away from the table.
  • bigmamma3
    Options
    My best: Track everything

worst: the ice cream diet will make you drop 10 pounds a week! (It didn't and it was horrible)
    ice cream diet sounds like heaven id be the size of a cow though!!