I need ideas to curb hunger pains.

Options
Hi all, I'm currently working on loosing weight, trying to eat better and smaller portions and what not. But alot of the time I'll eat, feel full and then 30 minutes to an hour later I feel like I'm starving. I've tried more water and chewing gum with minimul success. What do you all do to help curb the hunger feelings?

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Water!

Thirst is often mistaken for hunger.
  • pj_writer
    pj_writer Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    try eating more protein and complex carbs, these sorts of food make you feel fuller for longer
  • ceri1980
    ceri1980 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My first bit of advice would be to stop chewing gum!

When you chew your mouth creates saliva which sends a message to your stomach saying theres food on its way when actually when chewing gum there isnt any food on its way, therefore creating humger pains.
  • chrisallcock
    Options
    i chew sugar free chewing gum
  • mefergus26
    Options
    Diet soda is great for filling you up. It's not great for your teeth (acid erosion) and will bloat you, but it does help with the hunger pangs.
  • tinareet
    tinareet Posts: 126
    Options
    lots of healthy snacks :)
    xx
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm currently working on loosing weight, trying to eat better and smaller portions and what not. But alot of the time I'll eat, feel full and then 30 minutes to an hour later I feel like I'm starving. I've tried more water and chewing gum with minimul success. What do you all do to help curb the hunger feelings?

try milk :)
    Water helps me some, but if I drink a glass of milk, I feel like I've eaten an enitire meal! Good luck.
  • mefergus26
    Options

When you chew your mouth creates saliva which sends a message to your stomach saying theres food on its way when actually when chewing gum there isnt any food on its way, therefore creating humger pains.

This is totally true by the way - chewing gum is the WORST thing you can do when you're hungry! Although it is a good idea to have some after a meal as it helps keep your teeth clean!
  • chrisallcock
    Options

This is totally true by the way - chewing gum is the WORST thing you can do when you're hungry! Although it is a good idea to have some after a meal as it helps keep your teeth clean!

holy crap.....damm u chewing gum.....although it does help with my hunger but good point about the saliva i never knew
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum helps me but I have heard that in some people it can have the opposite effect. Caffeine also has that effect in some folk so trry switching to decaf if you do have tea/coffee

Protein fills me longer, stave off the munchies with a couple of hard boiled egg whites. Porridge is supposed to be good but it leaves me with gnawing hunger pangs very soon after eating it (have heard a few people say the same so I'm not totally alone)

The other thing i would suggest is to fill up on veggies, you get lots for very few calories.
  • dean0721
    dean0721 Posts: 143
    Options
    fruit smoothies did it for me.....
  • jeffdette
    jeffdette Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When you find out can you please let us all know. I love chocolate, and would like to make a healthy snack (if possible) with this ingredient but very difficult.........

Good luck with it all though.

Cheers
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough nutritious food? Make sure your calories are coming from reasonable sized portions of real food if they aren't already. And don't be afraid to eat all the cals MFP gives you - if you stay hungry it will be hard to sustain.
    If you're doing all that - I find coffee helps, a few almonds (6 or so) don't add many cals but make me feel better. Or it may just take a bit of time to get used to a lower calorie intake. If you're finding it too hard, I don't think there is anything wrong with setting your goals to lose .5 - 1 pound a week, then decrease if you need to once you are used to eating less.
    I also find that distractions helps (sometimes!)
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    My stand by foods for the munchies are carrots, miso soup, plain yoghurt - I also make a big pot of green soup once a week.
    Cabbage, brocoli, cauliflower, onion, zuchini (baby marrow), leeks , any other veges I have in the house......... and then eat that when I need some "comfort food"

Drink lots of water as well
  • jeffdette
    jeffdette Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What did you have in your smoothies? Just fruit, or sometimes low fat youghurt/milk?
  • ValerieSW
    ValerieSW Posts: 32
    Options
    Munch on celery stalks. The crunchiness can help with munchies, and it's really low-cal. If you don't like celery alone, a really quick easy dip to make that's also low cal:

Pink Salmon Spread

1 can pink salmon preferably wild
    1 tablespoon pickle relish, drained
    ¼ cup minced celery
    3 tbsp plain nonfat yogurt
    1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1/3 tsp dried dillweed

Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl and beat until well combined.

This is really nice on Dutch Crispbakes as well!
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    spoonful of peanut butter or caramel rice cakes!
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I agree with water, fiber, etc... and then, meditation.

Best,

Debbie
  • MidniteDayDream
    MidniteDayDream Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If drinking water doesn't work, I grab a huge salad of nothing but lettuce (i get this really awesome herb salad that has 10 different kinds of lettuce leaves and a few herbs) and some "salad spritzers" dressing. Works every time and I'm looking at maybe 40-50 calories depending on the size bowl I use.

EDIT: And if you're just starting out, you'll get used to smaller portion sizes and less food after a few days to a week. So it really does get easier.
  • FK1983
    FK1983 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Two things:

Fiber and Protein, if you make sure you have enough of BOTH you will never feel hungry, try it for yourself :)
    This is one of the things that has helped me lose 107lbs