Zumba Tips

Options
I just signed up for a Zumba class that starts next week. I'm really excited, but I was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips for a beginner.

Replies

• nikcot78
    nikcot78 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wear lightweight clothes as you'll get very sweaty! I'd recommend fairly ightweight dance shoes/trainers too as you want to be able to twist and shimmy easily. Take a bottle of water to sip during routines. You can make the routines more effective by dipping down lower, pushing harder etc but most of all have fun! It's a great form of exercise and the hour will fly by, if you can't follow all the steps at first just do as much as you can, have a giggle and enjoy! Even better if you can recruit a few friends to join you too! Good Luck!
  • kbeach08
    kbeach08 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I agree light clothes... my first class I had a long sleeve shirt and ROASTED!! Bottle of water is handy! It is great having friends there as well... My mom and I say Zumba is only as hard as you make it! absolutey true!!! My last class I had to hold my almost 3 year old the entire time so that was a GREAT workout! :) Just remember to make it fun!!
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    Thanks for the help, classes don't start until the 25th, I can barely wait.
  • nikcot78
    nikcot78 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You'll love it I'm sure and soon be addicted, after first trying it in September last year I'm now up to 3 classes a week, it's such a fun way to work out. The time flies especially once you get to grips with the routines, my friends and I have even done the Jai Ho routine out in a club ha ha good luck!x
  • boobear00
    boobear00 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents. Give it at least a week of classes before you decide if you like it or not. The first few classes can be overwhelming. I have watched SO many people quit because they weren't "coordinated", couldn't "get the routine" the first time or "felt silly". Every class and instructor is different but anything new takes time for you to learn it. If you can make it through your first week of classes (3-4) you'll know for sure if this is your kind of exercise. :) Dance like no one is watching, most of them aren't as they are working too hard on their own routine. AND HAVE FUN!!
  • CherryteaMT
    Options
    I just signed up for a Zumba class that starts next week. I'm really excited, but I was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips for a beginner.

Great post...i signed up for a summer class that begins the beginning of June so i'm glad someone posted this!
  • 36jessica
    36jessica Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents. Give it at least a week of classes before you decide if you like it or not. The first few classes can be overwhelming. I have watched SO many people quit because they weren't "coordinated", couldn't "get the routine" the first time or "felt silly". Every class and instructor is different but anything new takes time for you to learn it. If you can make it through your first week of classes (3-4) you'll know for sure if this is your kind of exercise. :) Dance like no one is watching, most of them aren't as they are working too hard on their own routine. AND HAVE FUN!!

So, true! The steps have to be learned, but that's just part of the fun. When I started, I was going left when everyone else was going right...but it was a blast. When I finally got the steps down, I was really proud, so don't give up until you've tried it for at least a week or two. A bottle of water is a must have. Have fun and good luck!
  • distant_dreamer
    Options
    Enjoy it!!! do nt worry too much bout keeping up! my intructor tells us to just keep mpving if we are struggling to keep up!!

its great fun, i love it!! off to buy the zumba wii game today too!!

hope u get on well xx
  • mommybgood
    Options
    You'll love it! Do wear lightweight comfortable shoes. There are people in my class who actually do this barefoot. I wore bulky crosstrainers my first class (I wouldn't recommend it) and ended up in my socks.
  • boobear00
    boobear00 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

So, true! The steps have to be learned, but that's just part of the fun. When I started, I was going left when everyone else was going right...but it was a blast. When I finally got the steps down, I was really proud, so don't give up until you've tried it for at least a week or two. A bottle of water is a must have. Have fun and good luck!

I too enjoy learning new steps.....now that I know I will get them. They zig, I zag and stand there and laugh at myself. And sometimes so do my instructors :)