Do you plan your meals?

Options
Hi everyone... :) I was wondering, do you plan your meals the day before, or do you log foods after you eat them? Which one do youdo, and what is your reason? I'm not sure which I would rather do. I planned a few of my meals for today, and I kind of like it. we'll see :) thanks!

Replies

• nienhulm
    nienhulm Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals ahead of time for the most part. That way I know before I eat how many cals I'm consuming. If I logged things afterwards, I'd probably go way over budget. Plus it means I can space my cals out over the day rather than undereat in the morning so I can overeat at night. I had that problem when I did weight watchers.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I always plan - not always the day before, but usually in the morning. It helps me feel in control of what I'm choosing to eat, and how much of it. If I were to enter my calories in afterwards, I think I'd probably go over.
  • katem78
    katem78 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    hello,
    i do plan my meals in order to count my calories intake and to control everything. but if something changes that's fine..i add what changed and if i have to remove something in order to keep my nutrition balanced i just remove it.
    it's easier for me like that because i know what i'm gonna eat and don't change it by not being sure or by having a different appetite .
    you will see what's best for you

good luck
  • DennAnne
    DennAnne Posts: 4
    Options
    I do plan mine in the morning, that way I know if I am within my calorie imits, I then add my exercise before I close off for the night which gives me my total picture for the day.
  • mommybgood
    Options
    Yes, I plan my meals. Not more than one day ahead, but I do plan and map out my calories and pack my "lunch" (I work a 12 hr night shift) accordingly. It really helps me stay on track and make better choices.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I do not plan anything I do until the day of, but my boyfriend who is also on MFP plans out our dinners and does a great job so it helps me out a ton. When I see how much dinner is, I can plan how I will eat for the day. Makes life easier. If its a higher calorie dinner, then I know I have to be very good, or go work my *kitten* off in the gym and burn calories to make it work...
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I am trying planning, I only joined last week but I think knowing what I have to eat everyday keeps me on track.
    6674621.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Roe1968
    Roe1968 Posts: 133
    Options
    YUP - I HAVE A GRID ON MICROSOFT WORD AND EVERY SUNDAY NIGHT I UPDATE/CHANGE IT FOR THE WEEK...

IF YOU WANT TO SEE IT - JUST GIVE ME YOUR EMAIL AND I'LL SEND IT TO YOU.....:wink:
  • FK1983
    FK1983 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I try to plan my meals for the week ahead as it makes things go much smoother!
    Near the end of the month it gets difficult though as we run out of decent healthy food as we do a monthly shop.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I always plan ahead. Mapping out my calories ahead of time helps to keep me from being tempted to eat things I can't "afford," in terms of my calorie limit. But if I do end up changing a meal or adding a snack, I always go back and log those afterward.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals ahead of time, but there's always "room for adjustment"...I don't log it until I'm sitting down and I wont take a bite until it gets logged. Having the app on my phone makes this oh so simple!
  • Wimpey
    Wimpey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yea absolutelly!

I plan my weekly menus for when I go shopping once a week. I have a 6 weeks menus.
    I then custom each week before hitting the shops.
    As an endurance athlete I have to make sure I eat the right thing a the right time to both have energy to perform but also to watch my weight.
    Then I log ahead for the next day on MFP. On the day I will revise/ammend if necessary.

It sounds like "lots of work" and "too structured" but in effect it is the opposite!

I make suer I have variety, the 6 weeks menu changes a bit each cycle (seasonal food) or if I fancy a change I just plan that.
    When I get at the supermarket/shope I am very quick as I have a hit list, plus items like "vegetables on offer" or 1 treat for after a race etc... so both efficient but can accomodate for a fancy.
    I am much less impulsive what gets in the house, hence I can control what I eat better and make sure that I have all I need day in day out.
    With time I also have developed a list of "emergency rations" stuff that can easily be prepared in a meal if I have friends popping by etc... As they say "it is all in the method"

I hope this is of help!
  • emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    I meal plan for my family and have done for months and months so it just makes sense to me to plan on MFP too!

The only variables I don't know in advance are what I have for lunch since I pack everyone else's lunch each day and I'm at home, and any snacks. I usually have a pretty good idea of what's available though.

Planning in advance lets me see my room for manoeuvre for snacks. Since my breakfast and dinner are logged a day ahead it makes it easier not to go overboard on snacks and lunch. :wink:
  • sam23030
    sam23030 Posts: 76
    Options
    I tend to input in the morning what my dinner will be so then I can see how much I'm allowed for lunch and snacks and if I'm hungry and want to eat more during the day, how much I will have to burn to stay on track.

Altenatively if it turns out that I don't get time for exercise I can look at the food planned for the rest of the day and maybe down size on some parts of the meal.
  • minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I plan brekkie and dinner but leave lunch and snacks open.
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I usually eat the same breakfast, have a slower cooker lunch made out for the week, and my snacks are always planned, dinner, I see haw many calories I have left usually arounf 40-600 depending on the lunch of the week and go from there. Having my lunches planned and made for the week is a huge help, and alwyas having cereal and oatmeal in the house is a life saver as my breakfast used to be drive thru taco bell (I work 3rd shift)
  • joaniegray
    joaniegray Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS! Good luck⁄
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Ever since signing up I have used MFP to plan my meals - to me it seems pointless to log after I have eaten?

I tend to use the food log as a means to picking healthier options - for example if half a portion of mashe potatoe is 250 cals but a portion of new potatoes is 140cals then I'll pick the option lower in calories.

It's hard to do that after you've already eaten :-)

on Monday's I plan up until Friday and on Friday's I plan my weekend meals. It also helps with shopping as I know what to buy etc.

This method has worked very well for me thus far!
  • irisannRN
    irisannRN Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have been planning them for the day in the a.m. That way I can see how many snacks/extra's I can have once I have logged my breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I think that this is the smarter way to stay at your intended calorie level without going over. May make you re-evaluate that cheeseburger for dinner :) Also if you know that you are going to go over slightly (say you know that you will be going out to dinner), you can plan for some exercise during the day.
  • nkfowler74
    nkfowler74 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have been meal planning for my family for a long time. It started more for organizational purposes, but now it helps me to plan my calories as well. I make a weekly "menu" on Sundays for the upcoming week with a coordinating grocery shopping list. My menu includes breakfast. morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, and dinner.