Cant seem to lose weight!

Options
I do the Insanity program, 4-5 days a week, 11 days & I will be done with the 60 day challenge. I have actually gained 5 pounds on the program! I am however more toned, feel better and def. in better shape...I eat right, always try to stay under my 1200 calorie goal everyday! I never drink anything else besides water...I really thought I was doing everything right, so why is the # on the scale creeping up instead of going down??? :huh:

Replies

• leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    your building muscle, you'll see results soon enough.
  • garymccord
    garymccord Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    In theory you've already answered your own question - you're focussing too much on 1 thing, the scales, and not the bigger picture.

More toned, feeling better and in better shape not to mention all the mental/psychological improvements you've not doubt made. All that, combined with knowing you are eating correctly and staying under your calorie allowance means your body is fitter, heathier and you're prolonging your life.

Surely all of those count for more than a few extra pesky pounds? So come on, give us a smile - you're doing great.
  • heatherw1977
    Options
    It's been about 50 days into the program though, starting to get discouraged!:yawn:
  • scaryfairy81
    Options
    If you look more toned, most likely those 5lbs gained is mostly muscle, and possibly some water. Are your clothes fitting better? Muscle is heavier than fat, but it's more compact, so you can weigh more and still be smaller overall. You have probably lost a few inches already! And that is definitely good progress.
  • RajwaJ
    RajwaJ Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    What I can gather from being on here from what people say ... the bare minimum calories you should have a day is 1200. Any addition exercise should be logged and you should refuel your body by eating those extra calories back. If you have less than 1200 a day your body starts to store the fat etc and you start to gain weight.

If you are doing this then you might be building muscle.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    That my be your problem. According to insanity's diet plan the minimum amount of calories you should be eating is 1700/day, if I remember correctly.
  • heatherw1977
    Options
    My clothes are fitting a little better, I never took before and after measurements but I do notice a difference in some areas, I am smaller in some spots. I guess my fear is that if I eat more I will weigh more, which is the opposite of what I want to happen.
  • scaryfairy81
    Options
    What I can gather from being on here from what people say ... the bare minimum calories you should have a day is 1200. Any addition exercise should be logged and you should refuel your body by eating those extra calories back. If you have less than 1200 a day your body starts to store the fat etc and you start to gain weight.

If you are doing this then you might be building muscle.

I think the 1200 minimum is a rough guideline, it would depend on height and current weight, right? I am getting all sorts of conflicting information. I get told 1200 minimum, by people on here and by MFP guidelines, but when I checked my BMR on here it says for my weight and height it's 1212! So if I eat more than 1200 and don't work out that day, technically I should eat less than 1212 to lose. I have been staying around 1200 and have actually GAINED 7lbs since I started using MFP.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    My clothes are fitting a little better, I never took before and after measurements but I do notice a difference in some areas, I am smaller in some spots. I guess my fear is that if I eat more I will weigh more, which is the opposite of what I want to happen.

If your clothes are fitting better that means your body fat percentage has decreased, in which case what you are doing is working so who cares how much you weight, the goal is fat loss not weight loss.