Replies

• paulettac
    paulettac Posts: 101
    Options
    I'd love to know the answer to this.
  • jamesinparis
    jamesinparis Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've always found that exercise is the key to stopping that emotional eating. If you manage to get yourself to exercise on a routine basis -- you'll find that you'll be able to crave exercising as much as you do food. And instead of eating emotionally -- your body will be more aware. The xercise is not as much about burning calories -- but about psychological conditioning. That's the theory -- which works for me -- if I have the time to get to the gym or to the pool.. Good luck!! :-)
  • Denimgirl
    Denimgirl Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    For me its been a process. A process of learning to be led by truth and not by emotion.
    I still occasionally fail, I don't have it all together but I have made a conscience decision to think before I eat. That is a lot of it for me. When I am emotional I want to grab and eat, eat, eat and then I feel worse. Most of the time I stop and ask myself (especially if its not a normal eating time) why I am eating. Am I genuinely hungry? Whats going on? How will I feel after I'm finished eating it? Is this food going to produce health in my body?
    Then lots of times I have to will myself to turn and walk away. Its not always an easy thing to do because I want it, its comfortable and familiar even if it does leave me empty, alone and fat!

Also, I am a Christian so I have made what I call a "Spiritual Medicine" cabinet of verses that help me when I want to sink into emotional eating. Lots of times I'll get stuck on one verse for weeks and I'll quote it to myself when I'm feeling like eating and I don't need to. The verse I am stuck on now is Romans 6:21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.

I hope that helps! I don't think there is a quick easy fix in most cases but a daily dying to ourselves and what we want and learning new habits that will give us freedom.
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    Biggest advice that was "asked" of me was: PAUSE ... THINK/ASK YOURSELF ..."ARE YOU HUNGRY? WHAT'S DRIVING YOUR EMOTIONAL ISSUE?"

It's not easy, and I wouldn't say I'm totally over it. Food can be comfort - or a relief - especially around that time of month. I notice when I'm more stressed, tired, or bored I eat horribly. I eat the "bad" stuff a lot more than the "good" stuff. But lately, I've been getting A LOT better at controlling my "triggers".

I've read over and over, been asked myself, and now I take it into thought ... Am I really hungry? Am I stressed? They say to PAUSE and THINK it over before you "stuff your face". I try and remove myself from the situation. Going to the gym, working out, and finding time to spend in other areas of my hobbies has really helped. Journaling too! Whether it's a blog online or writing things down in a book - your emotions, your day, your stressors, etc - releasing that on paper (or screen) can help as well.

Glamour just did an article on this ... The writer has some good tips. Fitness and Self magazines also have some good advice.
  • nileighttig
    nileighttig Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Try Paul McKenna, I Can Make You Thin. I tried this last year and lost just over a stone - ask yourself if you are hungry or just trying to change the way you feel?
    If you are actually hungry, eat what ever you fancy but eat it conciously and if you start to feel full, stop.
    If you are wanting to change how you feel, do something to distract yourself . If i'd had a hard day at work i would walk in the door, make a cuppa and take the chocolate biscuits into the sitting room - what i started doing was making my own biscuits. This takes about 45 mins or so and once they're cooked i know i can have some but after one or two, i'm satisfied and the rest get taken into work. It's not much of a change but the little things add up. It seems managable to lose 1lb x 14 rather than 1 stone. Keep your goals small and you'll be amazed at what you can do. Good luck honey!
  • Azhei
    Azhei Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Logic doesn't help emotional eaters. Even if you "know" you're eating wrong... you "know" this will make you sick... "know" it is stupid to be done in by an emotional need for food... it happens anyway. I've been struggling and lately fell completely. Ate double the calories I normally eat in a day and all of it (with the exception of breakfast) was garbage. I spent the evening in pain, nauseated and feeling incredibly bad... worse than I was during the day. I am back on track (so far) today... its a new day and a new beginning (again)... but is that false thinking that I can just start over every day?

Exercise is a great idea if you can get yourself motivated enuf to do it. I having been able to do the gym since being injured, then reinjured but am hopeful I can get back at it soon.

I am dealing with anxiety, depression, worry about 2 family members, money, future/no-future and a job that I love but I worry that I'm not keeping up with. I read inspirational blogs, books, listen to ambient uplifting music, try to be a happy fun person in front of other people but I'm a closet eater during and after all this. I tried Overeaters Anonymous but they're too focused on religion solving the problem and not the problem itself and ways of handling it.

What do others do to turn your mind back into something logical? Or can you / do you?
  • kimd1974
    kimd1974 Posts: 113
    Options
    Women, Food and God is suppose to be a helpful book (Oprah has info on the book and the Author on her site). I have the book and started reading it and never finished. I have had a horrible year of emotional eating. Every day has been a struggle.
  • amyelizbradley
    amyelizbradley Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I also deal with anxiety/ depression issues & an incredibly stressful family life. For me, I have done a lot of self examination; mostly through therapy, some journaling, talking with friends, and just plain introspection. Working out does do a lot to help depression (those endorphins released when you work out do wonders). I had to find what got me into the gym first though & that was a friend who taught some classes that I enjoyed. In the end, it is ultimately a journey. The answer is not outside yourself, it's within. I went to a therapist because I couldn't find that "answer" on my own. She helped me to discover it within myself. I still struggle (sometimes more often than I'd like) but I am slowly getting better. You often hear the phrase that weight loss is slow & to think how long it took you to gain the weight; it is the same with the emotional side of things too- think of how long it took you to build that emotional baggage. Be patient with yourself. Love yourself. And if you cannot do that yet, find someone that can/ does. You are worth every ounce of effort, every drop of sweat, every tear... I guarantee you can do it. You can even hold me to that. Friend me if you'd like and I will do my best to help you when you need it. All the best to you.