Things I didn't know or didn't acknowledge before joining MF

Options
I thought it would be interesting and informative to find out what other people did not know or did not acknowlege when it came to weight loss etc. before joining MFP.

For me, I didn't know I should eat protein with every meal (even snacks) because it gives your body a bigger metabolic boost than eating carbohydrates or fats etc.

I also didn't acknowlege how much sodium played a role in weight loss even though I knew sodium makes you retain water......

So, what about you - what have you learned?

Replies

• chels1605
    chels1605 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I didn't know how many kcals I was consuming without even realising!!!

Now... I know and acknowledge that I have become obsessive over healthy eating and feel a lot of guilt when having anything with too many kcals :(
  • joaniegray
    joaniegray Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Good question - yes, the sodium information was new to me. The exercise calories burned is also helpful - very helpful. Seeing how much I can lose in 5 weeks is also a very helpful tool.
    Other than that I pretty much knew what to do, I just wasn't doing it!!
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that strength training boosts your metabolism for a couple hours after you're done.
  • sam23030
    sam23030 Posts: 76
    Options
    The main thing I have learnt is just how many calories there really are in certain foods. Even when you think you've been healthy, you are sometimes consuming a lot more calories than you would estimate.

This week's shocking revelation was that there are 120 calories in 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. So making your own salad dressings with this isn't as healthy as I thought!

Also, when you change your diet, as silly as this sounds, you don't necessarily have to eat a much smaller amount, just make sure you earn it with exercise. ( I knew this before, just never placed that much importance on it.) Knowing how much each exercise will burn is helpful and knowing that you've got to do it in order to have that certain treat or dinner you're looking forward to can be a great incentive.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Before I joined MFP I NEVER looked at the label on anything I ate. I use to eat Hostess Applie Pies, pretty small figured it was no big deal - a whopping 500 calories!!!!!!!
  • ♥♥YoungMrs♥♥
    Options
    I never knew how important it was to eat clean..ill never go back to eating so much processed junk..
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    - Sodium
    - How much those little extra munches really cost me
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    sodium intake! Plus just because it's in the health food section doesn't mean it's the best choice!
  • jeninne
    jeninne Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize the too many at times and too few calories I was consuming...I exercised liked a feign but didn't exercise smart for what I wanted to accomplish balancing it out with healthy recovery foods. I've gone back to consistent weight training and diet. As everybody already mentioned- the sodium levels in food in general in processed food in particular- my gosh it is insane. Eating out really does contain huge amounts of calories and just because it is a salad doesn't make it healthy. etc etc.
  • frankbo25
    frankbo25 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I didnt know just how many calories I was really eating everyday until I plugged in a typical day for me and had it right there in my face: 4500 calories before even having dinner!! I wondered how I got to almost 280 lbs , MFP opened my eyes and made it where I couldnt hide from it
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing is just how important it is to know exactly how many calories you eat every day. I knew about the "calories in < calories out = weight loss" thing, but I don't know why it never occurred to me to actually track everything. Maybe I just didn't want to admit that I was eating more than I should have been eating.

I have also learned a lot about how difficult weight-loss is just from reading these boards. I think when people fail at diets, they say to themselves "For some people, it's easy, but not for me." But that's not true. It seems easier for some people because they try harder and commit more fully to it.

Another really important thing I've learned is that having a slip-up every now and then doesn't mean you have failed. People make mistakes, but you don't fail until you quit.
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Sodium was a biggie for me, I mean I knew you retained water but I didn't fully realize the impact it has on your weight. Also hydration, I never really drank much at all unless I was playing ball because I never really felt thirsty. I didn't realize I was mistaking hunger for thirst all along. And finally sleep, I never realized that lack of sleep could be so detrimental to weight loss.
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,338 Member
    Options
    I had NO IDEA whatsoever how much my life was going to be changed and enriched by the beautiful people I had yet to meet!

I was just looking to lose some weight but gained so much more. :flowerforyou:
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I didn't realise how important it was for women to weightlift.

I then discovered how fun doing weights where and that I didn't get that female bodybuilder look.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize how much or how little I was eating. It's been great for helping me make sure I get enough calories to refuel after hard workouts.
  • margielewis
    margielewis Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I learned how hard it is to drink all that water! It's funny because I can drink coffee all day long but water makes me feel bloated. Tips anyone?
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I had that problem with the water thing, too. I have a 32-oz. Nalgene bottle that I keep at work. It has a measurement marker on it so I can see how much I have consumed and how much I left to drink. I try to drink 8 oz. per hour so that I have gotten my 64 oz. (two full bottles) by the time I leave work. I keep a chart posted on a bulletin board in my office with the time of day and where I should be on my water bottle marker (i.e. I start the day at 32 oz, and by the next hour, I should be down to 24 oz, etc.), so I can refer to it throughout the day and make sure I'm on track.