Any vegans out there?

Options
I have been an on again, off again vegan/vegetarian for a few months now. I have recently (in the pat 8 days) made the decision that it was time to make the vegan lifestyle a permanent one. I am a very picky eater and I struggle with expanding my food choices. I grew up in the south on a "meat, bean, and potato" diet. I wasn't introduce to lots of variety, so, in adulthood, I am having a very difficult time with food! :sad: I would love for any suggestions anyone may have that could help make this an easier transition.

Also, feel free to add me! I only have a few friends that are vegan. I need all the support I can get! :happy:

Replies

• MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I like to incorporate a lot of vegan/vegetarian meals into my diet. I still eat small quatities of fish & cheese, and I use butter, as I feel it is much healthier than processed chemicals (aka margarine and sadly earth balance).

I'm not judgemental when it comes to other peoples food choices, rather the opposite. I am 3 months away from being a certified holistic nutritionist, which if you felt I was being judgy with the margaine/earth balance statement, is where that came from. Purely from a whole foods outlook.
  • missvics
    missvics Posts: 112
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 8 years now. I've never felt I'd have the discipline to be vegan, but who knows. Anyways....send me a message if you have any questions and I'll give you any suggestions I can!!!
  • kryscas
    kryscas Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been vegetarian then vegan then back to vegetarian for years now. I'm thinking of eventually phasing out dairy again but find it really tough to do as it's hidden in so many foods.

Veggies unite!!! :):)
  • jess_jo4
    jess_jo4 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for about 10 years and try to do some vegan. I really like daiya cheese. It only comes in shredded but it the best vegan alternative I have found. Although they aren't egg free, Quorn is a meat substitute that is also soy free. They make good "chicken" patties and "chicken" pieces. I also love http://www.fieldroast.com/products.htm, they makes brats and sausages that are vegan. They are great chopped up in stir-fry or just grilled on their own, we use them in a lot of stuff. A lot of things you can do, you just have to use the egg alternatives. I hope that helps! Good luck and you can do it!
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for three years, now entering my fourth year. Was vegetarian for 20+ years. Grew up on wild game and organic vegetables for the first 16 years of my life. Have a vegan website that helps people transition from meat eating to vegetarian to vegan. It also talks about chemicals in our foods, clothing and environment and offers organic & environmentally friendly alternatives. Not quite finished the site but it's still quite useful. Anyway, feel free to check it out. www.onestopveganhealthshop.com

Last summer I was 100% raw vegan. Am hoping to make the transition back to 100% raw very soon. We'll see. My two primary concerns are protein (I'm trying to put on muscle but I'm sure I'll be able work around that - Garden of Life has a great Raw Protein Powder from 100% sprouted foods) and excess sugar (I have low blood sugar that gets all screwed up from having too few and too much sugar).

Anyway, I'll send you a friend request if you'd like. I don't have all the answers (none of us do), but I'm pretty knowledgeable.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Vegan here for about two years....vegetarian for about 8 years before that....maybe more...I don't really remember. Going full-vegan was the best decision I ever made for myself! My diet has helped my chronic lupus go into remission even! If you want some yummy recipes, you can check out my recipe blog at http://veganrockergirl.blogspot.com
  • Hi everyone, i'm new here -waves-
    I've been vegan for nearly two years now after being vegetarian for life, i'll be facing my main challenge soon as i'm starting uni this september... I always have some sort of cereal/oatmeal/wholemeal toast for breakfast, a raw vegetable mix for lunch, and my mum's been a diamond cooking vegan dinners... got to come up with a list of recipes to make it on my own (:
  • amberpaigee
    Options
    Me too! Especially if you have an open food diary add me! I'm always on the lookout for new vegan recipes! :flowerforyou:
  • raeanns
    raeanns Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian making the transition to vegan. Add me if you want! Thanks!!!
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for 20 years and have given up dairy snacks for lent
    Would like to be vegan but like chocolate too much

At the mo the only non vegan thing I am having is protein powder

Ideally I would like to be raw vegan and have recently read 801010 diet but can't bring myself to give up all cooked foods as I think that would be too diff socially

Am currently reading the china study

The site 30bananasaday is useful in going raw vegan