Why is it getting hard to run?

Options
lklein
lklein Posts: 215 Member
So I started out my running with the C25K program and once I finished it, I started running outside for 5 miles 2-3 times a week. Well the first few times I did this it was a breeze and I really didn’t struggle, but now it seems like the same 5 mile stretch is getting harder to do. (I've been doing the 5 miles since the beginning of April) Any suggestions on why this might be?

Replies

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Is the weather getting a lot warmer in your area? When it gets hotter and more humid, I always find my outdoor workouts to be tougher. It takes me a while to adjust to the warmer temps.
  • Jdhenson
    Jdhenson Posts: 6
    Options
    Maybe you could map out several 5 mile stretches. I find I have to go to different areas to change it up or it seems to drag on and actually physically feels harder to finish. A change of scenery can make a world of difference.
  • pmorrison101
    Options
    Maybe you are running at a faster pace so it seems harder to do...but you are really pushing yourself more which makes it harder.
  • mcboyd1983
    Options
    are you running 7 days a week? you need to give your body a day or two of rest (from running at least). You can always change up your workouts on your two days off from running and do some strength training or something.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough carbs, have a day of rest, and have multiple routes to run to keep it interesting.
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    My knee is my reason why my running gets harder. It gets stiff and sometimes I don't even realize it at first. Also, are you running the same path? Maybe your body is tired and is telling you to take a day off. Mine has done that to me a few times.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    It seems to happen for this to be true, but it's another possibility, maybe your body is getting used to that same 5 miles and you're starting to regress. Are you keeping track of times?
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am only running 2-3 times a week so I am resting up inbetween runs. My time is getting better by a few minutes each time, so I might be running fast? I am running the same path, so maybe I just need to mix it up a bit and run a different route. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I am only running 2-3 times a week so I am resting up inbetween runs. My time is getting better by a few minutes each time, so I might be running fast? I am running the same path, so maybe I just need to mix it up a bit and run a different route. Thanks for the suggestions.

Your time is getter better, so you are going faster, so yes, it should be harder. I agree that you should find a couple routes, it will help prevent boredom with the same route.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Are you eating well and enough? I swim a mile+ twice a week (among other things). Last week I ate crap - I think I ate only rice krispee treats and Captain D's the day before my 2nd mile. I almost died. I felt like I do at the end about 3 minutes in. I ate well that day and was feeling fine in spin class the next day. In the past also I was set to 1200 cals plus eating my exercise calories. I started well but burnt out. I upped to 1500 plus my exercise cals and got my energy back.
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i suggest switching up your route and prob not just doing a distance run. maybe run for a shorter distance and incorporate some speed intervals. switch up your music, that usually helps me. :)